How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-12-2007, 08:05 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
I do not have the utylities to do it now and it would be an experiment. i couldn't promise anything

Tom
Old 11-13-2007, 12:12 AM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
...such large projects wouldnt be undertaken for quite some time, and I assure you, mr. killer, that your car wouldnt be the test dummy. It would have to be smashed beyond repair and retired to frankenstien status first.

Besides, if we moved your engine, it'd take you forever to get them tire sizes dialed in
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 11-13-2007, 04:34 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
I'm not sure that there is a business in this by marketing to the non-SVX initiated. To make the business work, you would need a good marketing campaign that would differentiate your work from the high mileage SVX beaters that are out there. It would have to be: "The "Tomcat". Using the rare SVX cult car as a base, we have created a 21st century sports cruiser. The car has been brought up to better-than-new status with state of the art improvements. At home on the road or the track, all wheel drive, powerful engine, silky smooth 5 or 6 speed transmission and a posh interior provide a unique driving experience." Unfortunately, I think you would also have to provide a subtle but distinctive visual diferentiation between your "Tomcat" and the standard SVX.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 11-13-2007, 05:57 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
I think it is a good or maybe even great idea, and I won't throw cold water on your party.

In common with 3 or 4 other responses above I do think that the business case is not there. You will not make enough on each car. However, were you to build one for yourself as a show car, as an exercise to show what can be done, then that would make business sense.

You would have a vehicle for prospective customers to test drive. You could get magazine exposure by loaning it for drives and photo shoots.

You could then come out with a range of upgrade prices for customers to buy particular levels of change. I leave it to you fellows to determine the levels. Define the top level [twin-turbo mid engined ] and define Level 1, price the rest in between

You will go far, Glasshopper.

White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 11-13-2007, 12:07 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
It's an interesting idea, if you could pull it off without bankrupting yourselves. $25K for a SVX may induce sticker shock, but thinking of it as a virtually brand new SVX, with everything replaced/restored and a couple small bugs fixed, the price is not bad. Same price as it sold for brand new 15 years ago and in the same condition - really a bargain! And compare it to any other new or even used car for $25K and you will not find anything that does what the SVX does.

That said, there may be too much to overcome. Good value or not, anyone familiar with the SVX out there has the "going rate" for a SVX ingrained in their head. A SVX can be had for less than $1K up to $12K tops - with the majority being in the $3K-$4K range. The very rare sale up near $12K is the ultra low mileage mint condition ones. And those are the ones that collectors and enthusiasts-with-means are seeking - these are worth more to them (and probably to any future collector's market if one were to develop) than a fully restored SVX that legally has 100K+ miles and new paint/parts. A 29K original mile garage queen is probably going to be more desireable to a collector and your "true enthusiast" than a 95K original mile/0 new mile rebuilt SVX - and he can buy 2 or 3 of those for the price of a rebuilt one.

And one of the beauties of the SVX is it is built good and built to last. There are a ton of us here that claim our SVX is the best car we've ever driven - and most of us have 100K or more on the odometer. Now certainly we could change our minds if we got in the driver's seat of a freshly restored SVX and felt the difference a rebuilt engine and new suspension made - but until then we don't know what we're missing. And even if we did, there are a few things that can be done to bring our own cars up to par for a lot less cash (lower mileage engine, new suspension, etc). Same goes for reliability and repairs - it takes a long time to get up to $25K in repairs on a SVX and by then the $25K SVX could have a few breakdowns of its own. I know, you have said this is not meant for those "average SVX owners" for which just fixing their existing SVX is good enough to get by - this is for the special "true enthusiasts" that want a new SVX. But as I've said above, IMO the true enthusiasts would rather seek out an ultra low-mileage SVX that has been pampered with everything as original as possible. "Preserved" rather than "Restored". I could be wrong though.

All in all, on paper, $25K for a fully rebuilt and restored SVX to stock specs looks good. When you look at the price and what the car is and can do, it is a great deal. But at the same time it goes against the market and trends and people's perceptions, especially those of your biggest target market, unfortunately. I'm thinking this might be something best to wait a few more years on. The more time goes by, the harder it will be to find a low mileage SVX, or for that matter even a high mileage SVX that is in good condition. Eventually, we will probably get to a point where any SVX on the market is in need of serious work to be even the halfway-decent SVX that many of us have now. At that point, the idea of being able to buy a virtually new SVX may become more appealing. If the repair and restoration costs on the used market SVXes starts escalating, while one that is already restored by an experienced crew is available for just a few thousand dollars more, the odds will start to lean in your favor. Have patience, let the market conditions evolve to where it benefits your venture. In the meantime, your business is young and there is plenty of time to thrive and build up capital with all the goods and services you already have. When the time is right, you will have that much more experience to do the restorations quicker and more efficiently, and more clout in the industry to get good deals from parts suppliers and vendors so you can keep the prices down and your profits up.

Good luck!

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 11-13-2007, 12:13 PM
Some Toolbox rolled it!

Send a message via Yahoo to Imprezzed
Hmm. Interesting indeed. I will be watching and listening closely.

Ugh. I'm sure i'm going to get all kinds of "RICE!!1!" responses for this, but would it be possible to have a digital gauge cluster?
If not, would it be possible to do a mph -> km/h conversion?

I'm in Canuckistan, and will likely be getting an SVX from the U.S.

<---Going to be in the market for an SVX mid to late next year.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:51 PM
Banned

Lightbulb you could

with factoryfive.com GTM kit. i could be your first customer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
I do not have the utylities to do it now and it would be an experiment. i couldn't promise anything

Tom
Old 11-14-2007, 11:53 AM

Are you planning on offering a rebate like Subaru did ?

With the right rebate I would pay big bucks.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:55 AM

How about creating your own car company based on this ?

Can you do the same 5 year warranty being offered by the big boys ?
Old 11-14-2007, 01:18 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonybuchanan View Post
Are you planning on offering a rebate like Subaru did ?

With the right rebate I would pay big bucks.
Huh???

You would PAY MORE $$ just to get it back in a rebate?????
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5