Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-08-2007, 01:44 PM
Graphic Artist

God bless this mess...

of a car, well, now its a mess.

Merging into the exit lane, a log truck in front of me dropped off a 2 foot chunk of log neatly under my front passenger tire, I was going about 65.

My rim is bent all to hell, the inner tie rod feels broken, door moulding under the passenger side fell of, fender liner did the same in front. Rear QP is damaged a bit at the bottom, strut is toast, rotor is toast. I imagine the steering rack is also toast. swaybar bushing is now several swaybar bushettes.

I don't know what would have happened if I had hit that with a bouncier rig, like my land rover. The SVX handled the incedent, as usual, with style. The bang woke up my baby, but the car stayed well planted in its lane, and I drove off to the side of the road unscaythed.

On a more grim note, there is a small depression in the roof next to the sunroof that was not there before. I'm hoping its not a bent unibody, and instead the effect of the sunroof slamming up and then down.

Anything else you guys can think of to check?

On the bright side, I took the brunt of the log and it splintered into a lot of small pieces. The old folks behind me got a bent rim outta the deal, but I'm glad I was the one to hit it first.

-Patrick

1995 Ebony Pearl. S.N. 0001 "Araby"

JDM Power Mode Switch, Integrated GPS/Video Player
6Xk Miles.

1992 Teal - Sold to Mysvxrocks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-08-2007, 01:56 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
Good to hear you and your baby are okay.

Did the truck driver stop?
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 11-08-2007, 02:03 PM
Graphic Artist

Nope, I don't think he knew it even happened.

6Xk Miles.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-08-2007, 02:19 PM
Old Guy

You may be able to track down the culprit through your DMV. First, go down and post a complaint with your local law enforcement folks, whomever has jurisdiction over the area where the incident happened. Because logging is an industry that is federally regulated, the company doing the logging and their haulers are all documented. A little digging should be able to pinpoint the specific rig that dropped the log - a violation of the law, even if it didn't hit anybody. Your insurance company should know how to handle this on your behalf but if the claim exceeds your coverage you may want to delve into it yourself. Best wishes.
Preston
Old 11-08-2007, 02:58 PM
Sold my soul to Subaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDSides View Post
You may be able to track down the culprit through your DMV. First, go down and post a complaint with your local law enforcement folks, whomever has jurisdiction over the area where the incident happened. Because logging is an industry that is federally regulated, the company doing the logging and their haulers are all documented. A little digging should be able to pinpoint the specific rig that dropped the log - a violation of the law, even if it didn't hit anybody. Your insurance company should know how to handle this on your behalf but if the claim exceeds your coverage you may want to delve into it yourself. Best wishes.
Preston
Great advice that is absolutely correct! And even though it sounds like a lot of damage unless the frame is bent I'm sure insurance will fix it. My dad hit a tree in my first SVX doing almost 100 and there is only frame damage to the front driver side in front of the wheel...and that can be fixed...these cars were made to be wrecked cause they handle impact VERY well I think you will be fine. Let us know your status
Old 11-08-2007, 05:15 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVeXy96 View Post
...these cars were made to be wrecked cause they handle impact VERY well I think you will be fine. Let us know your status
I wouldn't say they were made to be wrecked exactly, but they're very solid, safe cars.

Glad you're all okay Patrick! Hopefully the SVX isn't in too bad a shape and can be back in action soon.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 11-08-2007, 05:25 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
That stinks Patrick. I'm glad you & your son are ok though. Much better to lose a beautiful car, than a priceless member, and his progeny.

I hope you can get the truck driver's insurance to pony up.
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:34 PM
Graphic Artist

Progressive is taking care of it, All I can say is that I am pleased with them so far. They will be replacing most of the front suspension (anyone else smell konis?) They are also doing a bit of bodywork along that side of the car.

6Xk Miles.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-08-2007, 07:37 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Good stuff! Just let them know that Koni's are cheaper than OEM and they'll be all for it!

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 11-08-2007, 08:09 PM
Graphic Artist

The good news is, they just write me a check to get it fixed. They don't care how or who.

6Xk Miles.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-08-2007, 09:20 PM

Registered SVX
Glad to hear that everyone was ok!! The SVX is easier to fix than you or your child.
Kool Blue air filter, 4500k HID's, airbox mod, Hella horns, WRX 6 disc stereo, Infinity Reference and Clarion Pro Audio speakers, Infinity basslink sub, ECUtune Stage 1v5, ECUtune TCU, Power mode mod, Mad muffler mod v1.3
Old 11-08-2007, 11:05 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
so does this mean you're going to te1221 it, and make the car even better than it was before the accident?

As a bodyshop worker, progressive sucks, because they tend to want to always use used parts and not pay the extra for thee time it takes to refurbish them. But I dont work at the bodyshop anymore
It sucks that it happened, but at least it was taken with good grace. No injuries. and what timing too, it seems there's someone with a parts car sitting around in oregon

Anyhow, good luck with the repairs
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 11-09-2007, 05:47 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Eric View Post
so does this mean you're going to te1221 it, and make the car even better than it was before the accident?

Yea I've definitely been there.... with the help of this community it's now better than ever. It's gone through tons of changes within the last 6 months. The body shop I originally took mine too quoted about $2800 to fix it so insurance totaled the car out.

New Radiator off ebay: 165
Bumper from SVXfiles: 130ish (I dont remember the price)
Painting the bumper, center caps, Front splitters, grille and straightening the front end so the hood closes at another shop (550).
My own labor to install the stuff (free)

So it worked out for the best because it came out to less than 900.

I think the most expensive part is when I went all out after the car was fixed.
I'm done modding for now
2012 Camry V6 SE