Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 11:04 AM
MacArthur

How to buy advertised SVX from distant used car dealers

Hello anyone. What are the best tactics, in your experience, to buy an advertised SVX from one of those "nasty" used car dealers who is far away from where you live? Do you first negotiate price by email, or over the phone, with them? Or do you only offer a deposit to "hold" the car ,and personally view it first, before trying to negotiate an agreeable (as in greedy) selling price? Are they usually reluctant to return the deposit if the car is in unacceptable condition after seeing it in person? And, any other pointers?
Thank you.
[/SIZE]

Last edited by rrhenderson; 10-22-2007 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:10 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Nice font... you are gonna get a warning now.... change it quick!!

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:25 AM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
It's best to check it out in person, or have a friend, relative, or best yet, a nearby member o this board check he car out for you before making ANY kind of payment. Of course, via email / phone call, its best to establish that A) You're legitimatly intrested in the car B) get any kind of history and info on the car thats available. A vin number is usually good to have, so you can run a carfax report at home. and C) establish some sort of relationship with the sales guy. Know to ask for him by name.
It isnt untill you have some ammunition that you can barter a price, hence why its best to see the car first. Just pick out things that are wrong with it (Exhaust leaks, sticky sunroof, things of that nature) and use them as leverage to gt the price lower (but only if needed...Otherwise you'll spoil a good deal)
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 10-22-2007, 11:34 AM
<-- custom hood ornament

Send a message via AIM to AlcyoneDaze Send a message via Yahoo to AlcyoneDaze
I think your doing it all wrong. Fist of all, you shouldn't be looking at any car that is more than 200 miles away from you, no matter how desirable. If you are going to cold call dealers, ask lots of questions over the phone, with them looking at the car in front of them.

So narrow down your search, there are always 5-6 SVXi on ebay at any given time and at least two within 50 miles of where you live - these cars are NOT hard to find.

Okay, never put a downpayment to hold a car unless your going to buy it for sure, and just need some more time to get money together. A deposit is just that: if you back out, the dealer keeps it, because he has lost potential sales by holding the car for you, your money is a guarantee you're serious. Of course they'll be 'reluctant' to return it!

And you don't start negotiating until you've seen, driven, and had a mechanic inspect the car - up until then, you really have nothing to negotiate... A competent, honest, outside mechanic (not the dealership's guy) will tell you all the problems with the car, something you can use to negotiate a lower price.
JDM 'ALCYONE' Rear Panel
JDM 'BOXER' Eingngine Cover
JDM 'SVX' Hood Badge
L-Edition Suede Rear Seats
Old 10-22-2007, 11:41 AM
Network Design Administrator

You send him an email in a huge bolded black font so that you know you have his attention...
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:41 AM
<-- custom hood ornament

JDM 'ALCYONE' Rear Panel
JDM 'SVX' Hood Badge
Old 10-22-2007, 12:13 PM
Pinto Boosting Freak

Send a message via AIM to Evil One Send a message via MSN to Evil One Send a message via Yahoo to Evil One
You have no way of knowing if he is telling the truth about the car without seeing it for yourself or having a knowledgeable person examine it for you.
The first SVX my fiancee and I looked at to buy is a good example.
I talked with the man on the phone a few times... adding up to well over an hour. We exchanged emails.
I drove over 660 miles round trip to look at it.
I showed up and it had a crack across the full width of the windshield, the antenna was broken off, and the transmission "which he had paperwork that is was a low mile rebuild" was shot.

The next car we looked at, and purchased, was a 600 mile round trip.
It was purchased from a board member here, SomethingElse.
We got pics, talked on the phone, sent emails/PMs, ect.
The car was better than he represented it.
As a result, we also bought a second SVX from him. This one also was pics, emails, phone calls.
It was also a better car than he represented it as.

My only real suggestion would be to either buy from a trusted member or have a trusted and knowledgeable member examine it for you.

Jim
Old 10-22-2007, 12:25 PM

I bought mine on-line and had 'em delivered, and advise against going this route. The first (300 miles away) had issues that would have become immediately apparent during a brief test drive and walk around (roaring wheel bearings, busted radiator), but to the dealership's credit, they promptly shipped me new parts at no charge when I complained. I doubt I'd be so fortunate again (nor will you be). The second was about what I expected for the price. Both have been relaible and strong, so in the long run, I got lucky.

I do understand the temptation, as the SVX truly is rare outside of the U.S. norteast and northwest, the Rockies, and Florida. In four years of ownership I've seen only one other on the road in these parts. Back when I was looking I had a Subaru salesman in Atlanta tell me he'd never seen an SVX.

dcb
Old 10-22-2007, 12:37 PM
<-- custom hood ornament

There are currently at least two dozen SVX's for sale all over the country just from looking at online classifieds, this is not including the may more which are for sale privately or in local classifieds or at dealerships & on ebay motors. I would not be looking further than 200 miles - it is harder to find a mechanic to inspect the car, starts adding up in gas costs, and is just not the way to look for a car.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/search...=&keywordsfyc=

http://www.cars.com/go/search/search...l&aff=national
JDM 'ALCYONE' Rear Panel
JDM 'SVX' Hood Badge
Old 10-22-2007, 12:39 PM
MacArthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVX View Post
You send him an email in a huge bolded black font so that you know you have his attention...
At least the words are uncapitalized.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:26 PM
Pinto Boosting Freak

Send a message via AIM to Evil One Send a message via MSN to Evil One Send a message via Yahoo to Evil One
As to... "These things are not hard to find".
You have the internet... and on those 2 sites I pulled up 52 on 1 and 22 on the other.
Many were cross posted. So for arguments sake lets say there are 60 for sale.
The cars tend to be isolated geographically.
They are in areas where you tend to have a harsher winter and need AWD.
If you are in the southern band of the US you can find SERIOUS difficulty in finding one within your 200 mile range.
Then, you have to look at your price limit.
Lets say $5000 for a reasonable price. That cuts it down to 31 cars on 1 site and 14 on the other, again we have cross posting so lets say 40 cars.
40 cars you can afford for sale in the whole country.
I know the OP is in canada, but for the sake of dealing with your statement of not traveling more than 200 miles for a car... we will focus on Billy Bob in the southern US of A. Baton Rouge La to be exact.
Cars.com has NONE within 500 miles.
autotrader has 2 within 500 miles. 1 at 500 and 1 at 448.
Your logic is flawed.
If you like a car, desire a car... LUST a car... then distance is secondary to the car itself.
If you want an SVX... and live in certain areas... then you WILL travel more than 200 miles, or you dont get the car.

Jim
Old 10-22-2007, 01:47 PM
<-- custom hood ornament

your point is valid - but the car buying process is a lot harder when distance is involved. To buy a good car you have to be willing to walk away, something you're less likely to do if you've just spent 5 hours in a car and hundreds on gas. I was just suggesting that he look closer to home, sorry for the SOL southerners, but these cars do exist in the south
JDM 'ALCYONE' Rear Panel
JDM 'SVX' Hood Badge
Old 10-22-2007, 02:25 PM
Old Guy

[QUOTE=AlcyoneDaze;503103] "...you have to be willing to walk away.." Oh so true. Worst thing that can happen is you fall in love with a car before you purchase it. You wind up paying more than its worth. I'm with the others who say don't buy a car you have not seen and driven. One final point, if you send a deposit to hold the car not only will you likely lose the deposit, you may decrease your ability to negotiate a lower price. Best wishes whatever you do.
Preston
Old 10-22-2007, 02:28 PM

You good folks in Jersey, Pennsylvania, Colorado and Washington would be surprised how few Subarus there are down here, let alone SVXs. The Outback/Forester fleet does seem to be growing in the immediate area, owing to the influx of Florida and New York transplants, I'd guess. My teal originally hails from Jacksonville, the silver from Colorado Springs.

Two SVXs are currently showing on AutoTrader within 200 miles of me.

I absolutely agree that a used-car buyer should be prepared to walk away from a less-than-ideal deal, or risk being bitterly disappointed. But hey, if you're a gamblin' man, go for it.

dcb
Old 10-22-2007, 03:09 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
I absolutely agree that a used-car buyer should be prepared to walk away from a less-than-ideal deal, or risk being bitterly disappointed. But hey, if you're a gamblin' man, go for it.

dcb
This is so true.

I gambled and lost. Much had to do with my sheer ignorance of buying a used car.
Took a 1200 miles round trip run down to St. Louis (IL, actually, but right next to the boarder) to see this one after spending at least 2 hours all told, on the phone. I received a plthora of photos, and went down the line with the guy on the SVX's weaknesses. He assured me that she was in pristine mechanical condition.

So, I got down there, took her out for a test-drive and all seemed hunky-dorey. Whilst I had it out, I stopped by a nearby Meinike, asked if they could go over it as I was having lunch at the pizza place next door.

I should've watched them do it, I didn't even think that something might go wrong there.

I get back from lunch and it doesn't look like the car's been moved at all. Walk in and ask the guy about it and he told me that everything checked out, no problem. When I asked him what I owed for the diagnostic, he said, "Don't worry about it.". In hindsight, I see that this was to avoid a papertrail.

So, everything looks good, checks out and I drive her home... About 500 miles in, I notice a vibration when taking tight turns (when I took her out for a test drive, I did do some lock-to-lock figure eights to test for binding).

By the time I get home, I've also noticed that the windows keep fogging up. Brakes have less than 50% left on them, the tires are a mismatched joke (This I knew, but I had a fresh set of Kumhos at home) and there's door rust where the side panels bolt in that had been painted over.

They told me during the whole thing that since I was out of state, they couldn't offer any warranties and knocked $1000 off the price. It was very much caveat emptor.

So, learn from this... Unless you have complete faith in the people who're telling you the condition of the vehicle, do not trust them.

...and know when to walk away... The 600 mile trip and the lure of a '97 did me in... I figured I'm come all this way, had the loan cheque in hand... Meh.

Last edited by Knightwulf; 01-21-2008 at 05:54 PM.