How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2005, 07:30 AM
red95svx

I worked at an aftermarket parts store for almost 4 years and the amount of people (mostly female) who had no clue as to what they were driving, or what they wanted, or how to install what they wanted, was amazing. On more than one occasion I had to show a female how to add oil to her car. Pathetic.

I'm sorry, but there really should be some sort of "Car Knowledge" test along with a driving test in order to get your license. OK, so you can start your car, obey speed limits, and overall do a fine job at driving........but how do you add oil? How do you add power steering fluid? What make and model car are you driving? What kind of engine/drivetrain does it have? THESE are the things that should be taught at Driving School!!!!

My girlfriend lived in NYC for many years and as such never owned a car until recently. I FORCED her to read her entire owners manual the day she picked her car up. I showed her how to check all vital fluids, and how to add them when needed. She may not understand how everything under her hood works (and I'm no expert either) but she CAN identify all the major components in there.

It's not rocket science, and it's a shame that so many people know so little about their cars.

One last thought: At work the other day I was approached by a guy who wanted to buy a cap and rotor for his 98 Outback......folks if you can't look under your hood and see that your car has a distributorless ignition system you should not be doing your own work.

Dave
Old 05-14-2005, 08:39 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
I knew a girl who loved to work on cars. If you look in my locker you will see her in pics helping me swap my engine into my ebony after I rebuilt it. Since she was my bro's x-girlfriend, she also helped along with us swapping the twin turbo motor and parts into my brother's Z. She tried so ard but her Ralon never ran that good because she did not know the technical stuff behind the wrench turns. I love a girl that is willing to work on their own car. I used to work on my girlfriends car for them, which was no problem, but when they complained about me being in my garage too much it was time to get rid of em'. I would be more than willing to teach any girl how to do work on their cars but most are not willing to listen, daddy will pay for them to get it fixed my someone else. To those of you that don't have daddy to rely on congratulations, it is nice to see that the world isn't comming to what I can see of it. One of my x's thought you had to flip the car over to drain the oil out of the dipstick She was gone quick.

Tom

Ill just put it up

Last edited by TomsSVX; 05-14-2005 at 08:47 AM.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:39 AM

been changing my own oil since i could drive. i had a boyfriend back then that did a lot of work on cars and i learned a lot from him...at least i got something out of the relationship

i know girls that can't change their own tires...bleh!

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:47 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHISVX

Kelli
I know guys who can't change their own tires !
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:56 AM
fl_svx

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHISVX
been changing my own oil since i could drive. i had a boyfriend back then that did a lot of work on cars and i learned a lot from him...at least i got something out of the relationship

Kelli
My last friend, who was a girl type person, 38 going on 16, thought she knew everything about car maintenance since she was a mechanic for the Army in the First Iraq War for the liberation of the Muslim World from the clutches of yet another US supported dictator. She would actually argue with me over what kind of oil to use, or even the car I owned. It was pretty pathetic since I never saw her do any kind of maintenance. She did kmow what she owned tho and would remind you that a VTEC what the best engine in the world, since she heard someone tell her that once, so it must be true. God help me if I dared say anything. On the other hand I had a girlfriend who owned a Monte Carlo, she was never happy with the car. She knew nothing about it, and I suppose I can understand why. She did not like the car. She never wanted the car. He boss/boyfriend took it upon himself to tell her what she wanted and he negotiated the deal (which he did a very poor job doing), basically railroaded her into buying the thing. What can I say, she trusted him. They eventually split and she ended up with a car she never liked, but could not afford to get rid of. I suppose that was the ultimate insult. I helped her get out of that piece of junk. She picked out her own car and is happy with her decision. At least it was hers. The only time I stepped in was when the salesman was being a jerk trying to scam her. I called another dealer and they had the same car, I spoke to a female sales person, explain what was going on at the other dealership. We switched dealers and was treated with respect and made the purchase.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:58 AM
red95svx

I just had a guy come in looking to buy a new crank sensor . He then shows me his old crank sensor.....with part of the wiring still attached. He couldn't figure out how to disconnect the sensor from the harness, so he cut the harness.

Needless to say, he now needs more than just a new sensor. There comes a time when you must admit defeat, put the tools down, bite the bullet and pay someone to fix your car.

Dave

PS this guy is available to do tune-ups on your SVX if anyone is interested

Last edited by red95svx; 05-14-2005 at 09:00 AM.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:54 AM
J. Bond

Send a message via AIM to ~*~JenSVX~*~
Yea.. ok so im not the only one ... hehe
Well that's good to know! I've lended my hand to many a mechanical issue... Although i would not hire myself to do a job on my own based on the vast amount of knowledge involved in working on cars! Although if ya need someone to help ya part out your SVX i would be perfect! lol Not that anyone should be parting out there car!

Gotta love to get messy!!!!

Jen

www.longislandsubaruclub.com

LISC member #50
Old 05-14-2005, 12:54 PM

Send a message via MSN to pavanbabut Send a message via Yahoo to pavanbabut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorflyr
I sure don't care, heck why should I get my hands dirty if MrsFlyr can do it???
Hell, the way I can procrastinate, it'll probably get done quicker too!!
Hi rotorflyr,

I am curious to know from a long time whether u have been at the BESTBUY, LOWES area around fairfield mall. I remember sighting an SVX othre than mine once while goin into Steak 'n' Shake at tht place. At tht time i thought of following but, i was in drive thru at tht time. If it is u then, i am very happy to see a member of SVX over here. Actually I sight often a Blue SVX (probably FWD) in our school's parking lot and I have tried to contact him/her, but I think he/she is not interested in our network (I dont know).

-Pavan.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:42 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Good on ya Jen Damn, I am just now seeing this post!!!

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 05-15-2005, 02:29 PM

Registered SVX
I love this thread.. so next story I ask this girl what kind of car did you get she looks me straight in the eye and say RED. and she was dead serious. Next ( not that I want the girls mad at me )... I am at my local Subaru dealer ( Center Subaru in Torrington ) this guy is in the service dept. thanking the service manager like 100 times for all the help. He leaves and the service MGR looks at me and says," He tried to install a remote starter in his Impreza with 49 miles on it. he finished called his wife to show her how it worked , hit the remote and smoke filled the car and flames came out the defroster vents he opend the door and contimued to destroy the rest of the interior with a 20 lb fire exstingishier ( SP ) Rugs ,seats , headliner, door panels, etc, i laughed so hard I all most well you know.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:49 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomssvx
I knew a girl who loved to work on cars. If you look in my locker you will see her in pics helping me swap my engine into my ebony after I

Tom

Ill just put it up
Now that is a good looking Machanic <LOL> Sorry I had to say it nobody else was .
Old 05-15-2005, 05:34 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I have a lot of rspect for any women that changes her oil and even more if they do more!
Old 05-15-2005, 07:06 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Luciano
Now that is a good looking Machanic <LOL> Sorry I had to say it nobody else was .
Damn... those northern Women are great ... Southern women are dumb@$$es ..... No good chicks in South Carolina.....

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 05-15-2005, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavanbabut
I am curious to know from a long time whether u have been at the BESTBUY, LOWES area around fairfield mall. I remember sighting an SVX othre than mine once while goin into Steak 'n' Shake at tht place.
-Pavan.

<hijackon> Pav, if you sighted the car before Oct of last yr, it might have been the one I own, I bought the car from a woman in Dayton, but it wasn't me as I live near Akron <hijackoff>

Anyway, on thread topic, I think it's great if a woman knows enough about the cars they own so as to not get ripped off at a mechanic, even if they don't have the knowledge or skill to work on them by themselves.
I'm no real "wrench", but would be willing to work on the car myself (as soon as I replenish my tool collection) and if I F-it up, I'll pay someone to make it right.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:43 PM
Sue isn't really striped

I change my oil, thanks to Earl showing me how. No one I'm related to ever looks under the hood of their cars.