How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-25-2002, 11:09 AM
Brian Steel

Smile 5 speed on the road

I drove the 92 5 speed home last night, what a blast! It was really hard to keep my speed at a reasonable level. It shifts very nice and pulls very strong. Highlights of the conversion are:

1992 silver LS-L
2000 Impreza RS trans 4:11 differential
Limiited slip rear diff to match
Hydraulic operated clutch
OE looking trans mounts (will be upgrading this, possibly with STI stuff)
Legacy shift knob and boot (need to upgrade as these look a bit cheap for the car)
Redline trans fluid
RS clutch (will use the WRX next time)
Everything seems to work, reverse lights, cruise, clutch depressed to start, etc.

I tried to do a 0-60 time but I found out 2nd gear tops out at about 56 mph so I need to try again and shift a little sooner.
I would like anyone local to come try out the car and give some feedback and a review. Give me a call if you are in the area and we'll meet up somewhere. I gave a customer a ride and he was so impressed he wants to buy it.
I do need to pare down my personal auto inventory since I think I have a vehicle for each day of the week right now.
We do intend to do the 5 speed conversions for customers and it looks like the cost is going to be about $4000.

Work: 253-473-2474
Old 01-25-2002, 11:53 AM
Lowered SVX

that is awesome brian.

nice to see someone has taken the time to be able to replicate the conversion. in the end i am sure it is going to look very professional and be very reliable. for $4000 it sounds like a real bargain. anybody he lusts for a 5-speed should give you a call.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 01-25-2002, 01:02 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
When i have a little more money, I will call you..
Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 01-25-2002, 01:11 PM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraphim
When i have a little more money, I will call you..
Lwin
Lwin-

HILARIOUS SVX definition!!!! Can i use that in my AIM profile?

-Mike
Old 01-25-2002, 01:12 PM
sith

Brian - any chance we can get some pictures of your setup? Sounds very cool... too bad you're a bit of a drive from minnesota.
Old 01-25-2002, 01:53 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX

Lwin-

HILARIOUS SVX definition!!!! Can i use that in my AIM profile?

-Mike
Sure. go ahead.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 01-25-2002, 01:59 PM
Brian Steel

Quote:
Originally posted by sith
Brian - any chance we can get some pictures of your setup? Sounds very cool... too bad you're a bit of a drive from minnesota.
Sith,
I have a few pictures I'll try and get posted in the next few days.
Old 01-25-2002, 03:50 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Thumbs up All I've gotta say is

YOU ROCK!!!

That is truly awesome as I now have yet another excuse to spend money I don't yet have on a vehicle which never sold well (except to a bunch of us hooligans), has little appreciation within its own company, yet causes said hooligans to do amazing things!

I have yet to congratulate Huck on his work, but he and you deserve kudos for your efforts! Well done guys!

BTW Brian, a couple of questions on the rear diff. What other gear ratio's are available. I think a 3.7 or so would be a great blend of acceleration and reduced cruising RPM. Is one available? Also, I have heard rumors that this rear diff is a Nissan sourced part. Can you (or anyone else) confirm/deny this for me? My point being there may be something within Nissan/Nismo/aftermarket (Kaaz maybe) that can offer us limited slip and wider choice of ratios.

Last edited by wawazat??; 01-25-2002 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-25-2002, 04:22 PM
Brian Steel

Re: All I've gotta say is

Quote:
Originally posted by wawazat??
YOU ROCK!!!

BTW Brian, a couple of questions on the rear diff. What other gear ratio's are available. I think a 3.7 or so would be a great blend of acceleration and reduced cruising RPM. Is one available? Also, I have heard rumors that this rear diff is a Nissan sourced part. Can you (or anyone else) confirm/deny this for me? My point being there may be something within Nissan/Nismo/aftermarket (Kaaz maybe) that can offer us limited slip and wider choice of ratios.
I'm fairly certain there is a 3.90 that is doable, I just have to check the actual gear ratios. The 4.11 doesn't seem too bad actually although I have not been on the fwy but for a short run so far.
Old 02-05-2002, 07:47 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

3.90 gear ratio

Brian,
I believe the new WRX uses a 3.90 ratio from what I've read on the Imprezza club (www.i-club.com) site.
Thanks for taking the time to speak with me this afternoon, I appreciate it.
Todd
Old 02-06-2002, 02:12 PM
WickedSubie

Guys, I'm new here, so what I say might not apply 100% (hell maybe not even 10%) but the difference between 3:27 and 3:55 is not noticeable in Mustangs, but 3:27 to 4:11 is.

Don't the stock SVX have 3:55's? moving to something like 3:70 would make absolutely no difference (maybe by the butt-o-meter), 3:90 maybe, but definately not the best "balance of acceleration and cruising RPM).

What are the RPM's with 4:11's at 65MPH? The SVX is a good rev'er so I'd even go 4:56 if it was available. Max acceleration!!

What they used to tell us to do (mustang again - sorry for the frame of reference) if you want to know what your car would be like is to drop it into 3rd and run 65MPH, now as the SVX is not a mustang and the overdrive is a much much higher ratio (from what I've read), this may not apply, but the effects would even be more "dramatic" in the SVX.
Old 02-06-2002, 10:00 PM
Brian Steel

Quote:
Originally posted by WickedSubie
Guys, I'm new here, so what I say might not apply 100% (hell maybe not even 10%) but the difference between 3:27 and 3:55 is not noticeable in Mustangs, but 3:27 to 4:11 is.

Don't the stock SVX have 3:55's? moving to something like 3:70 would make absolutely no difference (maybe by the butt-o-meter), 3:90 maybe, but definately not the best "balance of acceleration and cruising RPM).

What are the RPM's with 4:11's at 65MPH? The SVX is a good rev'er so I'd even go 4:56 if it was available. Max acceleration!!

What they used to tell us to do (mustang again - sorry for the frame of reference) if you want to know what your car would be like is to drop it into 3rd and run 65MPH, now as the SVX is not a mustang and the overdrive is a much much higher ratio (from what I've read), this may not apply, but the effects would even be more "dramatic" in the SVX.
Wicked,
The RPMs are 3000 at 70 MPH and the engine is very smooth. The only time I would wish for a taller gear is if I could run at 80-100 MPH for a long distance or was going for pure mileage.
Old 02-07-2002, 05:06 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:

The SVX's stock gear is 3:54 or 3:53

I haven't accually seen them myself, but have been told that the Outbacks were available with 4:44's (That'd really launch in a 5-speed SVX!!)
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 02-07-2002, 06:25 AM
WickedSubie

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Steel
The RPMs are 3000 at 70 MPH
Ouch... even tho it is smooth, that might be a bit much...

2500 or so wouldn't be so bad, but 3k is rev'ing like a VW bug on the highway. You keep waiting for it to shift one more time, (or in your case looking for the next gear).

What MPH do you shift 1-2 and 2-3 at? (full RPM)? Did it turn 1st into a granny gear?
Old 02-08-2002, 12:42 PM
Brian Steel

Quote:

Ouch... even tho it is smooth, that might be a bit much...
2500 or so wouldn't be so bad, but 3k is rev'ing like a VW bug on the highway. You keep waiting for it to shift one more time, (or in your case looking for the next gear).
What MPH do you shift 1-2 and 2-3 at? (full RPM)? Did it turn 1st into a granny gear?
With a VW bug, and I've driven hundreds in the past 30 years, 3000 rpm is noisey, mostly due to a lack of insulation, the cooling fan running at over 1 1/2 times the engine speed and the vibration due to the firing order. The SVX six is so smooth and quiet, there is no comparison possible. The SVX is still quieter at 7000RPM. When starting out in first, I have to look at the tach to keep from killing the engine or winding it up too much. 1st gear goes to about 35MPH at rev limit and 2nd is just short of 60. I don't know if I'd call first a granny gear. The flexibility and low RPM torque of the engine allows you to shift from 1st to fourth and drive away smoothly.

Last edited by Brian Steel; 02-09-2002 at 07:42 PM.