IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-05-2002, 09:22 PM
check out www.planetsvx.com

The cons of street racing

I dont condone it.......but have to say Ive been doing it
since I was 17..something about it is just enjoyable
Helps when the crowds of people are organzied
and not out of hand too. We try to keep the squirrels away.
....I wasnt out this nite.....but many others
where here in Tucson....

http://www.azstarnet.com/star/tue/20101dragracing.html

CLICK the LINK below to Visit the SVX Store:

http://www.planetsvx.com

http://www.motorsportwarehouse.com/svx/sig2.jpg

Cars in the garage:
92 Toyota Soarer Single Turbo JDM RHD
70 Boss 302 Mustang 39k original miles
97 SVX Lsi
92 Liquid Silver Murano-ized (1st of its kind)
71 Cougar Xr7 Conv 351c 4v 4spd
69 SS Camaro 350
71 Nissan RHD Fairlady Z
70 Stang Fastback
70 Amc AMX 390
71 240z
89 Conquest TSi w/ 5.0 v8 swap
84 Mustang GT Turbo conv

"good, if it bleeds, we can kill it ....."
Old 01-06-2002, 03:05 PM
EverclearAtMSU

Re: The cons of street racing

Quote:
Originally posted by Motorsport-SVX
I dont condone it.......but have to say Ive been doing it
since I was 17..something about it is just enjoyable
Helps when the crowds of people are organzied
and not out of hand too. We try to keep the squirrels away.
I've been doing it since i was 17 too far too much fun. I do agree that organized events would be better than our typical 30 - 50 mph over the speed limit down the straight aways w/ other people on them. However, how on earth will you get this to be an organized event for young drivers. I dont see that ever happening. And to bad, because untill something happens to to promote an organized (off city streets) event for young drivers, there will always be people like me and my friends racing down city streets.
Old 01-06-2002, 03:15 PM

Re: Re: The cons of street racing

Quote:
Originally posted by EverclearAtMSU

I've been doing it since i was 17 too far too much fun. I do agree that organized events would be better than our typical 30 - 50 mph over the speed limit down the straight aways w/ other people on them. However, how on earth will you get this to be an organized event for young drivers. I dont see that ever happening. And to bad, because untill something happens to to promote an organized (off city streets) event for young drivers, there will always be people like me and my friends racing down city streets.
We have a great drag-strip here (called SIR..Southwestern International Raceway) and are tryiing to get them to host "street racing" just for us at the track....We show up at about 11pm and race to 3am.....grudge races only.
All heads up racing with people just picking them in the
Pit areas. We are even going as far as to not use the Timing
scoreboards at the end of the track. It will show who won, but not show their 1/4 mile time. Alot of people care about that.
We will have the std starting tree.
Hope it gets off the ground soon!

Cars in the garage:
97 SVX Lsi
69 SS Camaro 350
71 Nissan RHD Fairlady Z
70 Stang Fastback
70 Amc AMX 390
71 240z
84 Mustang GT Turbo conv

Old 01-06-2002, 08:56 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

Thumbs up Four letters: SCCA

Give 'em a shot. Autocrossing is, well, the bees knees, for lack of a better (repeatable) term. And it's not nearly as hard on your car as it looks.

Steve
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 01-06-2002, 09:17 PM

Re: Four letters: SCCA

Quote:
Originally posted by wasions
Give 'em a shot. Autocrossing is, well, the bees knees, for lack of a better (repeatable) term. And it's not nearly as hard on your car as it looks.

Steve
We go autocrossing once a month out there SCCA....
Ill bring my vid camera and std camera next outting !!
then post some pics..!

Cars in the garage:
97 SVX Lsi
69 SS Camaro 350
71 Nissan RHD Fairlady Z
70 Stang Fastback
70 Amc AMX 390
71 240z
84 Mustang GT Turbo conv

Old 01-06-2002, 10:38 PM
ironsvxjr

Thumbs down way too dangerous

I believe that racing on regular streets is just way to dangerous. Two years ago there was a 17 year old that was racing with his friend. They did it a lot. They would also go race at dragways. But he decided to have some fun and race his friend one day. As they going a bus started coming and he could not get out of the way fast enough and he died instantly by hitting the bus head on. I will never ever race anyone under any circumstances.
Old 01-07-2002, 08:10 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Re: The cons of street racing

Quote:

There's a strip about 10 miles from my house in Milan, MI. It costs, I believe, $20 (for the day) to run your car there. And, unless your car is under the 13-second mark, you don't even have to bring a helmet.

Organization, my ass. If there were organized events, kids would be avoiding THEM, too. Why? Because organization usually comes with rules. And that's part of what makes street racing so attractive - it's against the rules.

Kids will be kids. They will always do stupid things that we tell them not to. I did.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 01-07-2002, 10:24 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: The cons of street racing

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

Organization, my ass. If there were organized events, kids would be avoiding THEM, too. Why? Because organization usually comes with rules. And that's part of what makes street racing so attractive - it's against the rules.

Kids will be kids. They will always do stupid things that we tell them not to. I did.
Nick,

Unfortunately, you are correct. The only thing the 15 year old who flew the light plane into the building in FLorida this weekend proved was that it was a pretty stupid thing to do, and that his family must now deal with all the sorrow and anquish of his act.

Larry III
Old 01-07-2002, 10:29 AM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile

Quote:
Originally posted by Motorsport-SVX

We have a great drag-strip here (called SIR..Southwestern International Raceway) and are tryiing to get them to host "street racing" just for us at the track....We show up at about 11pm and race to 3am.....grudge races only.
All heads up racing with people just picking them in the
Pit areas. We are even going as far as to not use the Timing
scoreboards at the end of the track. It will show who won, but not show their 1/4 mile time. Alot of people care about that.
We will have the std starting tree.
Hope it gets off the ground soon!
This is how organized drag racing began in the first place....a way to get hot rodders off the streets and into a safe and measurable environment. Local strips should do all they can to channel street racers into their facilities. The popularity of import drag racing shows that it can be done. It might save a few lives in the process. Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"
Old 01-07-2002, 10:42 AM
Ain't it the truth?

<Organization, my ass. If there were organized events, kids would be avoiding THEM, too. Why? Because organization usually comes with rules. And that's part of what makes street racing so attractive - it's against the rules>

No rules makes as much sense as the Outback ad. Without them the arguments never stop. The "what ifs" rule then. If you KNOW you have a hot car...PROVE IT! The lights and timers don't play favorites, and then the kids don't end up killing some innocent people in the process. If you want to go fast, fine....do it in a responsible manner where if anyone gets killed or injured, it is the DRIVER....not some person unlucky enough to be crossing the intersection at the same time the tricked Eclipse and Civic were coming through. A combination of (1) making drag strips available and attractive and (2) strong law enforcement...worked very well in southern California in the 50's and 60's. It gave birth to a huge new sport. The same spirit that gave rise to today's huge NHRA organization, needs to reach out to a newer import-oriented youth group. The old hot rodders need to remember THEIR history and embrace these kids.
Just my two Lincoln coppers... Don

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"
Old 01-07-2002, 11:05 AM
EverclearAtMSU

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

There's a strip about 10 miles from my house in Milan, MI. It costs, I believe, $20 (for the day) to run your car there. And, unless your car is under the 13-second mark, you don't even have to bring a helmet.

Can you send me some more info about that? Like times, and where it's located.

I dont know if I like to street race so much as it's against the rules, but more for the rush and the thrill of going really fast and being slamed into my seat by the acceleration. That may be some subconcious aspect of it that I dont realize.

I personally have been involved in a few races inwhich one of the drives, once me, have been envolved in a pretty bad accident. Fortunatly no one ever went to the hospital or 6ft under. And for that I do consider myself lucky to have only caused a few thousand dollars worth of damage to my old car. But because of it I do consider myself a better driver. Maybe there should be a manditory "get in an acident" part to drivers ed. I remember watching the crash videos and falling asleep. Lets let the lil kiddies jump a curb at 60mph, or slam into another car, that will wake them up. Just so long as no one gets hurt.
Old 01-07-2002, 11:13 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to jscorse
My I add a con.?

My good friend's father's life was ended short by a couple of kids (who show absolutely NO remorse) racing down a public street side by side. My friends father had to swerve to avoid a certain head-on (according to witnesses) and met his fate on the end of a guard rail.

One of drivers stated that he had 'plenty of room to go between'!

This just disgusts me. Not so much the stupidity of racing on public streets, but in the complete and utter lack of responsibility.

I'm sure there are many hundreds of similar stories.

In my opinion.

Racing's fine, just not around people who didn't ask to be involved.
Old 01-07-2002, 11:19 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: The cons of street racing

Quote:

Can you send me some more info about that? Like times, and where it's located.

I dont know if I like to street race so much as it's against the rules, but more for the rush and the thrill of going really fast and being slamed into my seat by the acceleration. That may be some subconcious aspect of it that I dont realize.

I personally have been involved in a few races inwhich one of the drives, once me, have been envolved in a pretty bad accident. Fortunatly no one ever went to the hospital or 6ft under. And for that I do consider myself lucky to have only caused a few thousand dollars worth of damage to my old car. But because of it I do consider myself a better driver. Maybe there should be a manditory "get in an acident" part to drivers ed. I remember watching the crash videos and falling asleep. Lets let the lil kiddies jump a curb at 60mph, or slam into another car, that will wake them up. Just so long as no one gets hurt.
http://www.milandragway.com/

Seems that they are closed for the winter, but they do have open events on Wednesday and Friday nights. It's on 23. I'm at exit 31, and I think it's one exit South of that.

I got into a couple of accidents within a couple years of getting my license. One was pretty bad, but luckily neither my brother nor I were hurt.

Of course, now I look at my brother all grown up, a brilliant engineer...and I can't help but say to myself, 'what was I THINKING?'

And the short answer is that I wasn't. Power is intoxicating, and there's little more that's more empowering to a kid than being handed the keys to a car.

I got into a street race with an Olds Alero, of all things, some time ago, shortly after I bought my SVX. Yes, I proved my automotive superiority - but it was on a busy freeway in heavy traffic and even across a very tall bridge. I hit speeds of up to 115mph.

That was incredibly, terribly stupid. Take it to a track or an autocross where everyone involved knows what they've gotten themselves into.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 01-07-2002, 04:04 PM
Ain't it the truth?

<There's a strip about 10 miles from my house in Milan, MI. It costs, I believe, $20 (for the
day) to run your car there. And, unless your car is under the 13-second mark, you don't even have to bring a helmet>

That sounds like the ticket. You can't win over everyone, but some area strips get the big names in street racing in their areas involved. Have some local speed shops sponser different weekend dates. Have some activities for the non-racers. Give away some free goodies, etc. Each competitor gets official time slips. I think I remember reading that the cops (California?) actually gave out free passes to the local strips at one time. Don

Last edited by SVXphile; 01-07-2002 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-07-2002, 11:33 PM
Turbo_SVX_Man

TUCSON Street racing

That night that was talked about with the street racing in tucson i was there with my SVX and it was crazy. Im from Prescott, Arizona and have never seen anything like that and when the cops came needless to say they didnt keep up with my SVX. Not even the helicopter. He gave up at 145 plus mph. The news article doesnt tell it but many people about twenty got away that night and only one was ahead of me after passing them all. If they only had a SVX they may have been able to keep up and take those corners!