How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-06-2004, 11:46 AM
(This account is in rememberance of)Duct Tape Man

Send a message via AIM to Yoda3000
How much do you think I could get parting out and selling my car? I don't think it would be worth it and it would be a HUGE pain. All the SVXs I've been looking at average about $5000 and are in good working order.

Early deceased SVXWN Member
July 1986 -- February 2007

Michael - Duct Tape Man

1992 Burgundy SVX LS-L, 138K: Brembo Slotted/Drilled Rotors, B&M Tranny Cooler and Filter, SmallCar Shift Kit

1992 Burgundy SVX LS-L, 123K: DEAD FROM FATAL HAIL DAMAGE, Parting out so PM me if you need something.

"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything" - Fight Club
"This is not my life, this is not my home, this is not me. I HATE THIS!" - Static X
Old 10-06-2004, 12:08 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
BOOOO

man, sorry to see that pic. Not much more I can say.

As far as what you do now, I guess it depends upon your financial situation. The most economical would be to buy a fixer up SVX with a good exterior, and steal parts from you car. Once all the swapping is done, then sell what's left, or keep it for future use. A much easier route is to buy a nice SVX for about 5g's then either keep yours for parts, or sell it as a parts car.
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 10-06-2004, 12:31 PM
no more SVX...

Send a message via AIM to BordeauxComet Send a message via Yahoo to BordeauxComet
Unhappy WOW

That makes the hail damage I got about a year or so ago look like nothing! But I feel ya, man. (I didn't have comp. insurance either.)
-Nathan

'03 VW GTI 1.8T
'94 SVX LS Bordeaux Pearl (wrecked, sold..)

My Locker
Old 10-06-2004, 12:34 PM
5 speeds rock! :D

I'm sorry about your car.

I haven't had the best experience making money on SVX parts cars- I really don't recommend it. It's a great car, but there is a huge percentage of people who buy them because they can get them at a pretty good price. Those same people aren't often willing (or able) to pay top dollar for parts either.

Keep the car. A good runnning SVX is hard to find. Buy a parts car. There are plenty of SVXii with bad trannys, abuse, etc with good body parts. Put them together and make 1 good one.

I'm assuming you can do a lot of the work yourself. If you have to pay someone to do everything, it's gonna hurt. If I wasn't able to do a lot of the work, I think I'd have to sell it as is.

I've got a '95 that has virtually everthing you'd need. I want the drivetrain, suspension, motor- all the stuff you don't need. I'd sell it cheap, but I'm completely across the country. Are you up for a road trip?

Again, sorry about your loss. I had a similar loss this week- a 40" oak tree came down on my 14' commercial box van with all the tools and equipment I'd accumulated over 27 years in business- total loss, insurance won't cover anything. It wasn't pleasant- I spent most of the week cutting apart my truck to try to salvage what tools I could.

My poor truck

I'm taking my bruises. You probably will need to also. But I really do believe you can find a good non-running donor candidate to get you riding again!

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC
Old 10-06-2004, 01:58 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by svxhunter
My poor truck

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 10-06-2004, 03:10 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Damn them.
To hell.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 10-06-2004, 03:30 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I bet no one was expecting that tree to fall!

As for the SVX, get another one, use the existing one as parts and sell all the extra parts. You may even make money on all this.

Chin up! Look for the silver lining...and golf ball sized hail!
Old 10-06-2004, 04:05 PM
FKA....thndrmtn92svx
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to MNYPNNY Send a message via Yahoo to MNYPNNY
Registered SVX Classic SVX
I have actually had great luck making money on my parts car....and I still have tons of stuff to sell!

'92 LS-L - copper - 190K miles
'94 LS-L - pearlie - 92K miles

*still have '92 parts*
Old 10-06-2004, 04:09 PM

ouch!

buy a svx with a bad engine or tranny...and give her new life!

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 10-06-2004, 04:13 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Quote:
Originally posted by Yoda3000
How much do you think I could get parting out and selling my car? I don't think it would be worth it and it would be a HUGE pain. All the SVXs I've been looking at average about $5000 and are in good working order.
Mine is for sale for 5k OBO in case your interested. And it is in great working order.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 10-06-2004, 05:19 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by SHISVX

buy a svx with a bad engine or tranny...and give her new life!
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:29 PM
SVX Appeal

That stinks. Too bad it wasn't a Honda. An SVX doesn't deserve that.

This may be a long shot, but perhaps if you were parked at home, or somebody's home, the homeowner's insurance might, might, might just possibly maybe cover it.

Maybe I'm nuts... Strike that. I'm nuts, but if you're willing to invest in a new paint job, Bondo-ing all the dents doesn't sound like it'd be that bad. I would think you could find a set of windows somewhere. Is the windshield broken? That one's usually the doozie.

I'm a cheap bastard. If it were me, I'd cut my own windows (except the front) out of Plexiglas and shape them with a heat gun, Bondo the dents and give it a quick and dirty rattle-can paint job. ('Cause I'm fond of primer black.) It wouldn't be a show car, but I'd drive the hell out of it.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:48 PM

Quote:
It wouldn't be a show car, but I'd drive the hell out of it.
lol, thanks but no thanks.

Actually my dad thinks I should get the windows replaced whether I decide to keep it or part it or whatever. I've been doing some research and as far as I can tell it is very expensive to get the windows. These costs are from subaruparts.com mostly and do not include instalation or anything:

Windsheild: ~950
Rear Windsheild: ~272-500
Upper rear quarters: ~300 ea
Upper front quarters: ~150 ea

That's over $2000, without shipping and installation. I looked through old posts and I can't verify the prices of the quarter windows, does anyone know how accurate these prices are?

I may end up making windows with plexiglass if this is really that expensive.

Michael - Duct Tape Man

1992 Burgundy SVX LS-L, 138K: Brembo Slotted/Drilled Rotors, B&M Tranny Cooler and Filter, SmallCar Shift Kit

1992 Burgundy SVX LS-L, 123K: DEAD FROM FATAL HAIL DAMAGE, Parting out so PM me if you need something.

"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything" - Fight Club
"This is not my life, this is not my home, this is not me. I HATE THIS!" - Static X
Old 10-06-2004, 11:04 PM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Check my COG trip...

In my locker,
only lost the back glass and the right rear quarter but total (from my insurance) was 325 for both, and I got them for less than that in pretty short notice. Good luck
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 10-06-2004, 11:17 PM

Quote:
total was 325 for both, and I got them for less than that in pretty short notice.
Where'd you get them from?

I'm going to call the dealership in the morning and get an estimate, just for comparisons sake.

Here is a link for you guys with pictures at the bottom from around campus. My car is in one of them, can you spot it?
http://externalweb.nmt.edu/reslife/hail.htm

And here is some more carnage:
http://www.nmt.edu/~holstien/Carnage/index.html

Michael - Duct Tape Man