Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-16-2004, 08:53 PM
samsoup

Newbie - saying hello

Hi guys,

I'm a newbie her.e. well.. newbie to SVX in general.
I was looking into buying a project car ... annd. was initially looking at the Nissan 240SX .. S13 / S14 ... Prelude .. Acura 2.3 CL ... Nissan 300 ZX ...

But than... this customer of mine ( I have a detailing shop ) ... came in with a Pearl SVX... and i was just.. mesmerized ....

And.. i started diggin into it.. V6. .. 230hp ... AWD ... luxury.. power.. i was SOLD~

SO ... now.. im looking around to buy one. Cant find a white one.. so.. i'll probably just get anything.. and.. paint it white. Pearl .. hmm... well.. considering my 2003 Acura RSX Type S .. (pearl white) is sitting in a body shop getting repainted (someone keyed my passenger side) for $1200 ...
Pearl.. im kinda staying away from.

I love the colour.. but.. you can "blend" the colour ...
so if you get it keyed.. $1200 bill.. rather than $100 bill to get it buffed out.

Anyway...

Just saying hello~~
Old 09-16-2004, 09:05 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Welcome to the site. I think you'll find that many of us have been mesmerized by this car in much the same way.

A minor point - it's not a 'V6,' it's a flat 6. 'V' refers to the shape the two cylinder banks makes, and the SVX's engine is flat instead of a V.

As for picking up an SVX for a 'project car,' I think you'll be pretty disappointed. The car is very complicated and has little aftermarket support. You can't pick and choose your aftermarket parts like you can for the other cars you mentioned.

The SVX was also not meant to be a race car. It was meant to travel at high speeds over long distances comfortably. It is an excellent grand tourer.

Anyway, I welcome you to the site. If you do find a place in your garage for an eccentric (and increasingly difficult to maintain), comfy GT, then I hope you find one that was well cared for.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 09-16-2004, 09:18 PM
FKA....thndrmtn92svx
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to MNYPNNY Send a message via Yahoo to MNYPNNY
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Welcome to the jungle.... we have fun and games......
LOL, fun anyway!

'92 LS-L - copper - 190K miles
'94 LS-L - pearlie - 92K miles

*still have '92 parts*
Old 09-16-2004, 10:03 PM
samsoup

grand.. tourer....
hmm....
difficult to maintain?
you mean about the tranny and rotors warping?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
Welcome to the site. I think you'll find that many of us have been mesmerized by this car in much the same way.

A minor point - it's not a 'V6,' it's a flat 6. 'V' refers to the shape the two cylinder banks makes, and the SVX's engine is flat instead of a V.

As for picking up an SVX for a 'project car,' I think you'll be pretty disappointed. The car is very complicated and has little aftermarket support. You can't pick and choose your aftermarket parts like you can for the other cars you mentioned.

The SVX was also not meant to be a race car. It was meant to travel at high speeds over long distances comfortably. It is an excellent grand tourer.

Anyway, I welcome you to the site. If you do find a place in your garage for an eccentric (and increasingly difficult to maintain), comfy GT, then I hope you find one that was well cared for.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:24 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

The SVX is expensive to own. I am 19 yrs old and i make 200 bucks a week and i can afford one. Anything is possible. There isnt a whole lot of aftermarket support but anythings possible if you have money. Bottom line its an awesome car and theres not much more to it. You will feel very safe and secure driving it and can topple any weather conditions with the AWD. Not to mention the million stares a day you'll get with it. If you do get one just make sure to get a tranny cooler and your tranny should be fine. Not all SVX's get warped rotors or bad bearings. My rotors r fine and my bearings are too. Its definitley no race car but i still like to think it is . If you find one that ya like just post here and let us know the details and we'll tell ya if its good or not. Its not all that difficult to maintain if you just have some patience. Hope you find one soon

Tom

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 09-17-2004, 09:22 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Re: Newbie - saying hello

Quote:
Originally posted by samsoup
Hi guys,

I'm a newbie her.e. well.. newbie to SVX in general.
I was looking into buying a project car ... annd. was initially looking at the Nissan 240SX .. S13 / S14 ... Prelude .. Acura 2.3 CL ... Nissan 300 ZX ...

But than... this customer of mine ( I have a detailing shop ) ... came in with a Pearl SVX... and i was just.. mesmerized ....

And.. i started diggin into it.. V6. .. 230hp ... AWD ... luxury.. power.. i was SOLD~

SO ... now.. im looking around to buy one. Cant find a white one.. so.. i'll probably just get anything.. and.. paint it white. Pearl .. hmm... well.. considering my 2003 Acura RSX Type S .. (pearl white) is sitting in a body shop getting repainted (someone keyed my passenger side) for $1200 ...
Pearl.. im kinda staying away from.

I love the colour.. but.. you can "blend" the colour ...
so if you get it keyed.. $1200 bill.. rather than $100 bill to get it buffed out.

Anyway...

Just saying hello~~
If you get the wrong color svx you might get the wrong color glass. The pearl paint in the case of an svx can be blended too. You're thinking about a 3 coat pearl (color coat, pearl coat, clear coat). Those are almost impossible to match because the pearl is it's own pearly clear coat and can be applied in different thicknesses. The SVX uses a 2 coat pearl (pearl color coat, clear coat). As long s you apply the color coat thick enough it will match, you can't apply it too thickly. Pearlies aren't that hard to find. I would just keep my eye on ebay and do a carfax on anything that comes up and looks interesting. Sometimes people on here are willing to go look at nearby cars if you ask too.
Old 09-17-2004, 09:28 PM
Just some dude.

Quote:

Who needs choices when you have ECUtune...........

If you like drag racing get Stage II
If you want a beast of a gt get Stage III

I think it's pretty much impossible to put together a sports car as sweet as a 400 hp SVX for the price of a 400 hp SVX
Old 09-17-2004, 09:41 PM
Green1995SVX

Carefull there...

The 92, and 94 pearl white uses a Tri-Coat paint process.
Old 09-17-2004, 10:43 PM
Just some dude.

Re: Carefull there...

Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX
The 92, and 94 pearl white uses a Tri-Coat paint process.
Does it really? I know my ebony mica is a 2 coat pearl which suprised me. I understood all of the svx's were. The pain process described in the factory service manual, i think, only describes a 2 coat process.
Old 09-18-2004, 12:24 AM
samsoup

Just getting the ECU changed gives out tha tmuch power?
Where can I get them?

Any pros and cons?

Quote:
Originally posted by longassname

Who needs choices when you have ECUtune...........

If you like drag racing get Stage II
If you want a beast of a gt get Stage III

I think it's pretty much impossible to put together a sports car as sweet as a 400 hp SVX for the price of a 400 hp SVX
Old 09-18-2004, 01:00 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by longassname
For a statement like that to be true (assuming we found an objective means of measuring 'sweetness'), somebody would have to have actually 'put together' a 400hp SVX.

No offense to you and the work you've put into your products, but I don't know of any 400hp SVXs, so I think your comment is a little misleading.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 09-18-2004, 01:01 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by samsoup
Just getting the ECU changed gives out tha tmuch power?
Where can I get them?

Any pros and cons?
My point (that your comment was misleading) illustrated handily.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 09-18-2004, 07:50 AM
Just some dude.

Quote:

For a statement like that to be true (assuming we found an objective means of measuring 'sweetness'), somebody would have to have actually 'put together' a 400hp SVX.

No offense to you and the work you've put into your products, but I don't know of any 400hp SVXs, so I think your comment is a little misleading.
A Stage II is a 400 hp SVX. There are 6 or 7 of them out there now. Just because people don't come on here talking about them doesn't mean they don't exist. I've noticed that for the most part our most serious customers don't post but read.

We are also only a few weeks off from having a supercharged svx putting out close to 400 hp.
Old 09-18-2004, 08:01 AM
Just some dude.

Quote:

My point (that your comment was misleading) illustrated handily.

From my point of view, that comment was more due to your original comment being missleading If you had said "ECUtune is your only option at thus far for significant power improvements on an SVX. They offer a reprommand of the ecu called Stage I that will greatly improve your low end performance. A nitrous oxide control system called Stage II which with the nitrous kit will give you 400 hp at the crank and 513 ft/lbs of torque at the wheels for drag racing. A positive displacement supercharger kit called Stage III will be out soon and producing somewhere between 350 to 400 hp with excellent bottom end. You can read more about their products on their website at http://www.ecutune.com/subaru_svx.htm" then he would have understood the real state of affairs these days. While your view that there are no real performance solutions out there for the SVX was true a year ago it is far from the reality today.
Old 09-18-2004, 08:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to Guard-TL-
He's scared of change.....let him be (j/p)

-1992 Pearl White Subaru SVX
-1995 Briliant Black Mazda Precidia (sold :'( )
-1996 GMC Sonoma ZQ8 pickup
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...-TL-/20502.jpg

-Taras