How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-15-2004, 09:08 PM
joe

Opinions Requested

I'll give my n00b intro. I'm Joe. Lately I've been looking for an SVX to drive in teh winter while my Civic (non-ricer) gets a heart transplant.

Onto my dilema. My dad found me a 1992 SVX with 120k with a bad transmission (surprise, surprise lol). I haven't talked to the guy yet, but he claimed to my dad that the reverse doesnt' work. Is this a common symptom of a bad trans? Could it be something simple like a cable or something electronic?

Its been sitting for a while. What should I look for in this respect? I will check the brakes and see how rusted they are and the gas tank/lines for rust. Anything else?

Finally, how much should I offer the guy? What do these things go for with a bad trans? He wants 2k for it but IMO, thats insane.

Thanks guys. Hopefully I can get one of these awesome rides.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:21 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

I think reverse and 3rd gear are the first to go when the tranny is on its way out. I think maybe 1k or 1.5k seems more reasonable. 2k is a little much for a car with a bad tranny. And shame on you for the civic .

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 09-15-2004, 11:06 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
reverse was the first to go when my tranny died
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 09-16-2004, 12:29 AM
Green1995SVX

hey joe-

I live pretty close to you. I'm only about 15 miles east of Youngstown. If you want me to help you by checking out a svx for you or anything, let me know.

Mike

PS- the gas tank wont rust as it's plastic, and the fuel lines run inside the car.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:50 AM
SVX Appeal

It may be a one-in-a-million chance, but reverse is controlled by a cable from the gear selector, not electronically. It's possible that the cable may be malfunctioning. Crawling under the car and giving it a good inspection may net you a very cheap SVX that needs only a minor repair.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:23 AM
BoondockSVX

So the civic is your summer car? Hehehe.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:07 AM
joe

Thanks for all the help.

The Civic is set up for Autox so needless to say, it plows snow in the winter.

Green1995SVX, thanks for the offer. I'll keep that in mind.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:52 AM
^ has Subaru issues

Send a message via AIM to Kurt_W
I was a little slow to put Joe and Ashtabula together but I got it now. It's about time you developed some taste in cars Joe!

I wouldn't pay that much for a 92 with a bad transmission, but thats me. For reference, I picked up a 95 LS (no sunroof, cloth seats, etc) for $1200 about a month a got with a 2 speed transmission (1 and 2 work, as does reverse, but thats it.) Overall the car is in decent condition, though it needs a tranny and a windshield (the 2 worst parts to have to replace) but all in all I think it was a reasonable deal.

Are you still playing with the Z6 and the turbo or have you decided to B-series it?

Kurt
'91 Miata - a lot-o-miles
'88 CRX Si/B16 not-so-SiR
'73 Datsun 240Z
Old 09-22-2004, 09:03 AM
joe

Hey Kurt!

After I went to look at it, the car isn't even worth $800. It looks like crap since its been sitting so long. The interior is soaked because the drunken idiot (yes, he was trashed when I stopped to look at it lol) left the window down. The trim around the windows is all cracked, the rear window wiper was flipped around then turned on so there is a scratch across teh whole glass. And it just goes on from there. The guy was pretty firm at $2500 so I'll just let that one go

The more I think about it, the more I've come to realize that I'm about done with the Civic. Its a great car, but its time to move on to bigger and better things. I figure with the money from selling the car and extra parts, I can afford a NICE SVX with lower miles.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:44 AM
^ has Subaru issues

Send a message via AIM to Kurt_W
Quote:
Originally posted by joe
The more I think about it, the more I've come to realize that I'm about done with the Civic. Its a great car, but its time to move on to bigger and better things. I figure with the money from selling the car and extra parts, I can afford a NICE SVX with lower miles.
Yeah, from the sounds of it that SVX is one of the many that would be a good one to avoid. The one I just bought probably was one of those too but I've been known to have a set of blinders ready when I go to look at cars

I hear what you're saying when it comes to the Civic. I sold my 93 CX hatch about a month and a half ago since I had replaced it with the B16 CRX. The hatch was a much more comfortable car but the CRX is a cool auto-x car...which is also all I use the car for. After 9 Hondas I've gotten kind of bored with them. I doubt it will happened, but I may even end up selling this CRX after I get the new SVX up and running. (I also have a '70 Datsun 240Z on the way so I may end up using it for auto-x from time to time.)

There was a pretty nice 94 LSi for sale down here for quite a while but it recently seems to have falen off the market. The owner of that car bought a yellow RX-8 to replace it, which seems to be a reasonable replacement.

Good luck in you're hunt; I'll keep my eyes open to see if any surface down in this area.

Kurt
'91 Miata - a lot-o-miles
'88 CRX Si/B16 not-so-SiR
'73 Datsun 240Z