Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2004, 01:44 PM
bcuz

What to look for when buying a SVX

Im possibly buying a svx, its listed at 2800, and he really wants to get rid of it fast, because he doesnt have space for a third car. I think I can get him down to 2k if I bring cash and tell him I can pick it up the next day.

So what problems should I be looking for? its a 92, I really want an AWD car, and this is a cool ass car, barely anyone has them. But I dont wanna buy a lemon, I dont have money to poor into the car, and fixing problems with a AWD car can be expensive. So what common problems should I be looking for when I check out the car?
Old 03-24-2004, 01:56 PM

Re: What to look for when buying a SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by bcuz
Im possibly buying a svx, its listed at 2800, and he really wants to get rid of it fast, because he doesnt have space for a third car. I think I can get him down to 2k if I bring cash and tell him I can pick it up the next day.

So what problems should I be looking for? its a 92, I really want an AWD car, and this is a cool ass car, barely anyone has them. But I dont wanna buy a lemon, I dont have money to poor into the car, and fixing problems with a AWD car can be expensive. So what common problems should I be looking for when I check out the car?

Transmission. Rear wheel bearings. Front brake rotors. Electrical system.

Browse "Technical Q & A" for awhile and you'll see what I mean.

dcb
Old 03-24-2004, 03:08 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: What to look for when buying a SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by bcuz
But I dont wanna buy a lemon, I dont have money to poor into the car, and fixing problems with a AWD car can be expensive.
This right here is telling. Yes, the SVX is a fantastic car and yes, I consider mine to have been very reliable. But it does cost more than your average car to maintain, and when it does break the repairs can be very expensive. This is only getting worse as these cars age.

If you can't afford frequent, expensive repairs, I don't know that the SVX is for you.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 03-24-2004, 05:37 PM
Snickers

What color is it?
Old 03-24-2004, 07:20 PM
bcuz

the car is black, and yes, I think Im gonna keep looking. I really do want AWD since the snow in Chicago and get quite bad. I already have a project car, a 240sx, so it would be niceto have something that would be good all year round. And Im sick of FWD, my civic is soooo boring

So can you guys suggest any other awd car that would be in my price range? My price range is about 2000-3000. Ive looked for an impreza, but almost all seem to be auto, or already modded (so they cost way too much), or wagons. I was also looking at a mazda GTX, but those are SO rare, and even if you find one in good condition it probably wont go for less then 4000$. So what are some other options for awd cars that arent to expensive?
Old 03-25-2004, 10:55 AM

It might be out of your price range, but the Mitsubishi 3000GT was AWD (at least some models were). If the 3000GT is too costly, you could look at a Dodge Stealth which pretty much is a watered down FWD version of the GT. Even though the Stealth is only FWD, it still does amazing in the snow with good tires.

On the other hand, don't give up real easy looking for a SVX. It took me almost a year and a half to find the right one.

1996 Subaru SVX LSi (Red)
2019 Subaru WRX LTD