How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-22-2004, 07:41 PM
slacker

Re: Tranny Plumbing

Admittedly I'm a SVX 4EAT Noob (but senior Shade Tree rated), and logic tells me the extermal cooler should come after the radiator cooler. By running it from external cooler through the radiator cooler should increase the temperature since the radiator is already preheated by the engine coolant. Maybe in the cooler Canadian climate, didn't think BC got that cold, at least not around Victoria and Vancouver (my Silver Bullet ran fine in -5F when I picked it up in Chicago). But what do I know.

Regarding an internal tranny filter I haven't found it yet, can someone point me in the general direction, and perhaps have a Soobie part number so I can get one and know what I'm looking for. Am presently engaged in hands-on self taught Transmission 101.

Am very interested in the final failure analysis, an external cooler is next up on my radar screen.

Sorry to hear your luck runs in two's.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:54 PM

alot of folks around here use the Permacool AT Filter. Do a search and you'll come up w/ the part number. I've seen prices as low as $35 for the kit.

Some people even add a temp gauge at the filter.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:07 PM
slacker

$EAT Filter

Perhaps I misread somethiing, I thought an internal filter (inside the the 4EAT) was mentioned, and that's what I haven't found yet.

Agree about the ATF temperature gauge, surprised the engineers didn't include that in the design (engine oil too).
Old 03-22-2004, 11:43 PM

internal filter

Are you talking about the filter inside the pan?
Just drain, then pull the pan and you will see a silver colored, tin object about 3" x 8" bolted to the bottom of the tranny. It is not really rectangular, but kind of shaped like a dog-leg? It is held on w/4 bolts.
There is a steel line that crosses over(under) the filter. This must be removed before the filter can come out. It is held in place by 2 bolts. All these bolts use a 10mm socket.
It is very obvious how to get it all out when you see it. Just watch out for the fluid drips. And make sure the o-ring comes out w/the old filter. A new o-ring is supplied w/ the new filter.
The filter is available from SOA or any good auto parts store. I have done many and use Purolator. About $25.
Good luck. It is simple to do!
mile-hi-bri - Brian
Old 03-23-2004, 08:37 AM
No front plate on My SVX

Send a message via MSN to CDG
The theory around the External first is that the fluid should be kept warm enough to ensure the Torque Lock still occurs, so on colder days, the RAD will actually warm the fluid back up.

I'm not too sure what the best method would be to get rid of the heat. The weather here in BC is always pretty average, and he told me he may set it up different if we lived elsewhere. Like remove the rad loop for Southern Cali.

And yes, there is a screen type filter in the Trany, and I'm getting that replaced aswell as adding a new external filter.
Mine is the B&M, and PermaCool sells the same kit.

Status, Mechanic was having some issues, hopefully it will be done today.

Current Ride, 1985 Honda Aero 80, stock 3024 klms

Last edited by CDG; 03-23-2004 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: $EAT Filter

Quote:
Originally posted by slacker
Perhaps I misread somethiing, I thought an internal filter (inside the the 4EAT) was mentioned, and that's what I haven't found yet.
here is the link to the internal filter: http://www.subaruparts.com/diag/?mod...category=182-A

It is #10 in the diagram and on the list and is called a "strainer assembly-oil". Part #13 is the o-ring.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 03-23-2004 at 09:16 AM.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:33 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Chris,

I think the choice of ordering of the ext cooler and rad cooler will depend quite a bit on the climate you drive. If you expect that the car will be driven in hot weather, you're probably best off putting the ext cooler last so that the rad cooler doesn't reheat the ATF that has already been cooled. However, this arrangement isn't so good for weather below 45F. The coolant stays below the TC lockup temperature (and below the optimum efficiency temperature). Where I live, I have to deal with both extremes. My solution was to put the ext cooler after the rad cooler, and then install a by-pass thermostat on the ext cooler. With this arrangement, the ext cooler only gets to cool the ATF when the ATF temp rises above 165F. It worked really well last winter. The ATF temp at the tranny inlet was consistently around 150-155F even in very cold temperatures.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:34 AM
slacker

Re: Strainer

Thanks I'd checked the other sub-assy's (oil pan, pump, housing) but didn't look at Control Valve assy.. Googled and found a WIX#5896 and NAPA #ATP18561 (while unsuccessfully looking for the Puralator #), and also found an interesting SVX site < autopartsauthority.com >
Old 03-23-2004, 12:43 PM
No front plate on My SVX

I agree with the Ext cooler position, the thought was that the trany fluid is going to be cooled by both, the ext cooler will not bring the fluid down below what the rad will be doing. Now this may be incorrect, but without measuring the tempurature of the Radiator bottom, its hard top say.

I figured it this way, the external cooler will do the most work, then the rad will only do a little, only when the weather is cold, and on the highway, will the rad loop actually add heat back to the trany fluid.

Old 03-26-2004, 08:35 PM
No front plate on My SVX

OK, Got my car back, new trany in, thanks Dan, and its working pretty great. It doesn't have the Level10 valve body, but it shifts pretty smooth. I get the occasional flare from 2nd to 3rd, but Thats probably expected in my driving.

I have to say I really missed driving the SVX, and my girlfriend was so happy for me, since I stopped my moping

Q#1: How did I blow the tranny?
A#1: NFI, he says its was hooked up right, and there was fluid in the filter. But he did not test the flow, as I had already removed the filter from the loop.
Q#2: Is the filter hooked up now, and is it working?
A#2: Yes its hooked up now, pretty interesting plumbing work, will take picture and post later. And yes its working.
FYI. During the trany flush, preasure at idle on the trany line is 30 PSI, which I understand is normal.
Q#3: Then why the **** did the trany go chris?
A#3: Well since all the plumbing was replaced it has only been speculated that I may have sliced into the inner portion of one of the hoses while pushing it onto a sharp edged fitting. Another option could be the fact that I introduced B&M TrickShift Synthetic fluid during the quick drain and fill process, which loosened things up, and plugged filter. Like I said, I drove the car for over 1 hour at 80 mph, and felt no issues. If I had no flow, I think it probably would have died way before that.

So I will be monitoring the trany very carefully from now on to see how is working, I will most likely be adding a preasure and temp gauge to the trany line, to see where it goes.

Old 03-27-2004, 02:15 AM
Sue isn't really striped

I was wondering about a pressure gauge, it'd be nice to know when there's a occlusion.

Still not sure I understand your tranny's sudden death.
Old 03-27-2004, 04:36 AM
SVX Animated Icon Guy!

Send a message via ICQ to htyei Send a message via AIM to htyei Send a message via Yahoo to htyei
Bah!, subaru told my independent dealer, I had no internal atf filter, when I tried to get it replaced....
http://www.svxwrx.com
Old 03-27-2004, 07:42 AM
slacker

Re: Internal Filter

Henry technically they're correct, it's not a filter, instead appears to be a complex sump (identified as a strainer) to prevent foreign material from gettiing into the valve body.

I was lost and couldn't find one till Mile ^ Bri & SVXCESS pointed me in the right direction (a few 9 ~ 7 posts ago).

Discovered (too late) that NAPA includes not only the o-ring but also the pan gasket in their P/N ATP18561 for $25.49. Could have saved $12.75 on the pan gasket from the Subaru dealer.