How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-24-2003, 06:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to Reaper450128
Level 10 tranny rebuilds

I've asked this before in other parts of the site without getting to the answers I was really looking for, so sorry for the repost, but I'm going to ask again:

1. What different levels of rebuild do they do on our trannies? I've seen someone with a Stage III as I recall, and the price was a bit more than I'm interested in spending at this moment.
2. How much does each stage of rebuild cost?

I'd like to get the tranny I recently purchased rebuilt before I have the shop install it, because I want to be absolutely certain I won't have to do this again in a few weeks or months. If its in fully working condition now, and I am told it should be, then that should help lower the price of the rebuild... right? And before I go and do this, another question: the front and center differentials are technically separate from the transmission and therefore not required to be installed during a rebuild?
Old 05-24-2003, 06:37 PM

If no one out there knows these numbers thats ok, I will call them myself, but I'd like to get some of these bits of information on to the board for archival purposes as well. If I don't get any responses by Tuesday I will give them a call and see what they say, then post here. I just wish they had this on their site, I'm not sure why they don't. I know people here have had their SVXs done by them, why don't they publicly acknowledge that they work on these cars?
Old 05-24-2003, 07:51 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Use the search button and look for level 10. You'll find lots of info about myself and the others who have had level 10 do their trannies.

They do very good work

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com
Old 05-25-2003, 05:03 AM

That presents a small problem, as the term "10" is too small for the search engine to allow, and adding asterisks to it (just to make it longer) makes the search take too long for the script. I will try searching for just the word "level" but I think that will be too vauge. Anyway the search engine parameters could be altered to allow 2-letter words? I understand the reason why they are disabled (I assume it both limits search results for common words and prevents some types of D.O.S. attacks that could be done), but this does make it hard to find info on this topic in particular.
Old 05-25-2003, 05:45 AM
svxeno

I tried as well and it is a tough one to search for. I came up with some success using "level and tranny".

I hope that helps.

Randy ii
Old 05-25-2003, 05:55 AM

Yeah, I just tried "level transmission" and while that gave me some results, there was a lot of unrelated threads in the results as well. However, I did get some numbers, but I'm still not getting exactly what I'm looking for because there was quite a range of them, I assume due to a range of core quality levels and amount of upgrade work done simultaneously.

Basically, all I want to know is how much it would cost to get a fully working SVX transmission (assuming that is the case, but I have no real reason to doubt that it is other than the fact that I have not tested it personally) rebuilt by Level 10 to a degree that would allow it to last for at least a couple of years. Anyone out there had this done, or has everyone waited until theirs died to rebuild it?

Whether or not I can get the answer to that one, I will call Pat Batten (I believe that was the name, correct me if I'm wrong) on Tuesday to see what he would estimate. Also, all the prices I saw included shipping, and I would be delivering it myself as well as picking it up (I'd take the car to them for installation, but that would be difficult given my inability to go over 25MPH for extended periods on the current transmission).
Old 05-25-2003, 08:00 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Contact SVXer KevinOBrien. He has a Level10 PTS 2 or 3 tranny. He cna explain the differences. He is a membr here. I don't know the difference between the PTS 2 & PTS 3 Tranny. He and Blondeman had Level 10 tranny rebuilds. I don't know which got which.
Good Luck.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 05-25-2003, 09:04 AM
Administrator

I spent about $4200 for a PTS 3 rebuild (3600)with reworked valve body, highstall torque converter(600), and shipping both ways. This was in 2001, about 20000 miles ago.

Pat Barret is the guy to talk to there. I imagine the prices are probably near or the same as what I paid.

Unless I had a lot of extra money laying around, I'd wait until the one you have dies, then do the rebuild.

Or, you could remove your valve body and send it to Level 10 for their recalibration service and reinstall it into your existing transmission. I think that is about $600. It modifies the shifting behavior of the tranny. Pat can explain it better than I.

Old 05-25-2003, 09:24 AM

I would have to assume then that their rebuild is a bit more extensive than just modding the valve body? Well, if it will give me some level of confidence that this one will last longer, some extra time to save up would be nice. How complicated is it to remove the valve body (anyone have a manual detailing the procedure)?

Now, for the future, will the Level 10 rebuilt trans hold up to more power than the stock one? I do plan on doing some work in the future, when the cash is availiable. My goal is 320 at the flywheel, but I know that won't be easy (although if that supercharging project I heard rumors of works, it might not be too far off).
Old 05-25-2003, 11:48 AM
Administrator

You can pull the valve body out without removing the transmission. The procedure is in the service manual. Just remove the pan, disconnect some wiring harnesses, and undo the bolts is all you have to do.

You may find more useful info over on the i-club or nasioc forums, as they WRX/RS-T fellas are using level 10 stuff, and it is essentially the same transmission we have in the SVX.

Old 05-26-2003, 06:01 AM

Well, the trans I want to have work done on is one I purchased to replace my failed one, so its already (or is that still) out of the car. I just need to know what part is what so I know what to remove (at this point I'm not even sure which side of the transmission is the top). So, if anyone has the service manual and would be kind enough to scan the pages about this for me, I'd be grateful . I guess I could have it installed now just to see that it works, then have the work done on the valve body while I play around with the exhaust (whole other major issue, almost all of it has given in to rust rot from what the shop told me) and fix the other little things.

BTW, this got me thinking, because while its the first time I've asked for scans, its not the first time I've seen them requested. Has anyone tried to put all the service manual scans members have requested in a single location for easy retrieval in the future? I'd be happy to add any pages scanned to the website I already have built containing all the pdfs off my "Service Manual" CD (I think its actually a Chiltons or Hayes manual, it has a few too many vehicles in it and is a bit too incomplete for a real service manual) if such a site does not exist yet.