Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Reading Meet

Old 04-14-2003, 12:13 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Talking A Quick Trip

Shari and I left the Inn at around 11:00 AM Eastern, with a convoy consisting of Stevebsy, Earthworm and Wawazat (Doug, was a passenger in Steve's car). We pulled into our driveway around 10:15 PM Eastern time (supposed to be a 13 hour trip -- BAH! ). Average speed on trip: 80 MPH. Average MPG (to the meet and back): 26.22 MPG (running a/c on part of the trip back, still got 26.58 on that leg of the trip).

Saw many, many, many troopers on the way home. Luckily they were either busy, or uninterested. A perfectly flawless drive (except for the short detour taken, when I went off with the convoy on a ramp when I shouldn't have ).

I can only echo all that's been said. I won't add to the sappiness, except to say that if I started, I'd only get sappier.

Props to Ben, Bobby, Darryl, his brother Mike and his other brother Mike. Truly a great job, organizing the meet. For once, there was a committee that set out to design a horse, and actually came up with a horse, and not a camel.

My sincerest apologies for not recognizing Earthworm at the dinner. It's a testiment to the fortitude of the die-hard SVXer. I had a long drive home, but, to put it into perspective, Earthworm's first day of drivng will be almost equidistant to my entire drive home. 30 plus hours of driving ONE WAY, just to spend a couple of days with a bunch of whacked out car owners. I tip my brand new, official SVX Network Cap to our good friend David and to Norman, his dad, who indulges his son's addiction with nary a complaint (well, at least so's we can hear, anyway).

By the way, Steve Syck still has SVX merchandise for sale, contact him for a T-Shirt, Cap or a 10th Anniversary Commemorative Mug. (Shameless Plug). Oh, and John Hoffman still has some Wedgies -- lots of 'em. Oh, and Todd Hipsky still has some great looking sweat shirts, ask him about 'em (Sorry, I didn't get one Todd. As I explained in another thread, John Hoffman got all my money this time around. )

Like so many have said, it was great to put names with faces. I could go on and on and mention everyone, but, I'll refrain. Each and every one of you know how I feel. I hope I didn't miss out on meeting anyone.

If I could sum it all up, in one thought, it would be this. I don't think I've ever met such a diverse group, that spans all socio-economic, cultural, philosophical and age strata that gets along so well. All of those barriers disappear and everyone just becomes themselves. If everyone in the world would just buy an SVX and organize meets, a few times a year, around the world, we could truly achieve world peace.

Again, many thanks to you all, my family. As I said at the dinner, you help to keep me sane, within the confines of my definition of sane. That "life battery" that seems to become drained by the everyday necessity of living one's life, has now been recharged. Thank you all for contributing to the energies that made it possible.

Until next time.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI

Last edited by Aredubjay; 04-14-2003 at 12:30 AM.
Old 04-14-2003, 05:29 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Well said, Randy! It was an absolute pleasure meeting you. You are everybit as nice a guy as I expected and then some! When I was describing the weekend to my wife, Jackie, she asked the question everyone poses when you meet with a large group of people in person for the first time..."So what person turned out to be a real @$$hole?". I told her it had to be Randy by far. I'm just kidding! "Seriously", I told her, "You would think that there would have been one in the bunch but I can honestly say there wasn't one person there that was a jerk." Her response was "Wow!". And that is what absolutely amazes me about this crowd and about this past weekend. Everyone I met was great! I am so proud to be a part of this group and to call many of you "friends". I made a lot of new friends and I like to think I cemented a more than a few friendships I had already made online here.

Had I worn a hat this weekend, not only would my head not be flaming red from the sun, but I would tip it in honor of all of you! I just wish that circumstances would have allowed many more to come to this meet because there are so many more I would have liked to have met in person.

Thank you all for a wonderful weekend!

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 04-14-2003, 08:05 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Cigar-Johnny,

I hardly ever wear a hat. I have a lot less peach fuzz than you on top of my head and I never burn up there from the sun.

<<<<So what person turned out to be a real @$$hole?">>>>

PS: I thought all the network officer slots were filled. Is this position still open? How much does it pay? I know it's alot of work and it's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 04-14-2003, 01:24 PM
calmone

Wink

just wanted to add a line about how rwj seems like a pretty nice fella, until you meet him. then you discover that he is ever so much more of a swell, joyful, sincere and nice human being. he certainl makes one feel as if you've known him for years. it is a unique character trait that one wishes there were more people who had it. that's true even if everytime you asked him a question (like, "what are we scheduled to have for dinner or where will the next event be) he'de reply "i don;t know, i didn't get involved inthe planning. the truth is there would have been no planning, no reading, no meets and certainly no board without his tireless efforts. thanks a bunch!
Old 04-14-2003, 02:06 PM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
<grin> I have known Aredub for years... just never had the pleasure of actually meeting him yet.

Dunno if I should be scared or what.
Old 04-14-2003, 02:21 PM
Network Design Administrator

Bob had a good time there too, or was it mike, or... wait it was Chris!!! yes, I had a good time as well, and was suprised to see that my LED brake lights caught some more attention... seeing that they were one of the most talked about from Reading I Its ok, I know that not all of you were around back then, but hey

And as for little miss "My post count is 3 times yours and you were at Reading I??" Well, what can I say, I am a lurker...

Good times all, cant wait for the next one.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 04-14-2003, 09:42 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by RSVX
And as for little miss "My post count is 3 times yours and you were at Reading I??" Well, what can I say, I am a lurker...
I know exactly who you are talking about
Old 04-15-2003, 08:55 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Geez. <blush> (or is that sunburn?) Thank you Johnny and Bill. Dunno what to say. It was certainly nice to meet you guys for the first time and hope it won't be the last time we get together.

Meanwhile, I'll keep practicing saying "I don't know," since Bill said I had become such an expert at saying it, and that I said it so well.

Seriously, the Reading Organizing Committee did everything and I didn't have a clue just like the rest of yinz. It's always great to delegate and not be disappointed. Last year, Larry iii did the honors. Prior to that, it was Unkle Worn and, of course, the Originator of the "Reading" meet was Ben Rowley. All have done a stellar job, but, it has gotten to be too big an event for one person to handle. Being from Kentucky, I'm at a slight disadvantage with it comes to organizing things in PA.

As a side note, I'm enjoying passing around the newspaper I collected from the Motel lobby, among my coworkers. That alone was worth the trip.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 04-15-2003, 06:34 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Social "interaction"

<As a side note, I'm enjoying passing around the newspaper I collected from the Motel lobby, among my coworkers. That alone was worth the trip>

Remember, I showed it to you first! Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"
Old 04-15-2003, 09:25 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Monty Python

O Randy and Don, Remember the Monty Python show with the Penguin on the TV set and one of the ladies (sic) says intercourse the penguin. Of course I think the paper is talking about the other intercourse,talking. Take care BOBB
Old 04-19-2003, 07:14 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX
Re: Social "interaction"

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXphile
<As a side note, I'm enjoying passing around the newspaper I collected from the Motel lobby, among my coworkers. That alone was worth the trip>

Remember, I showed it to you first! Don
Okay, what did I miss re the "paper"?
Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 04-19-2003, 03:25 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Social "interaction"

Quote:
Originally posted by newsvx

Okay, what did I miss re the "paper"?
Harry
You missed them? There was an entire stack in the motel lobby. I brought home a copy of "The Intercourse News." I was just disappointed that there were no publications from the town of Blue Ball.

When the meet was held at the Morgantown Holiday Inn, it fascinated me that Pottstown was just down the road from Stonersville. Ya just gotta love Pennsylvania.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 04-19-2003, 05:45 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Re: Re: Re: Social "interaction"

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
I brought home a copy of "The Intercourse News." I was just disappointed that there were no publications from the town of Blue Ball.
Hahahah!!!! I remember that!!! The Blue Ball!!! I think that we were talking about something like that on the 2-way radio's when we pulled out for dinner... Then we passed that place that had a "Blue Ball" sign..... That was one of the things that helped SVXfreak and I to get back to the Hi-way, but we got lost anyway and 30 minutes later we got there..... Good thing for the "Blue Ball" right???

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 04-20-2003, 06:01 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Social "interaction"

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

You missed them? There was an entire stack in the motel lobby. I brought home a copy of "The Intercourse News." I was just disappointed that there were no publications from the town of Blue Ball.

When the meet was held at the Morgantown Holiday Inn, it fascinated me that Pottstown was just down the road from Stonersville. Ya just gotta love Pennsylvania.
Thanks, Randy. I am with you now. Yep, I missed the paper - it's from the "town" of Intercourse. I do wish I had seen that one as well as "Blue Ball" - after my heria operation last month, I can identify!
Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 04-20-2003, 07:31 AM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Indigo-tinted spheroid

While everyone was out clue-hunting, Jean and I decided to go bag those places we had always heard of, but never seen. Paradise, Blue Ball, Bird-In-Hand, Intercourse....

I got lost so many times, that I lost count. We made it to Blue Ball, but there was no town sign...perhaps for obvious reasons.
We figured that at the rate we were going, we would never see them all, AND the museums, AND make it to dinner, so we took off to the museums in Stasburg....

....targets for the next trip I guess. Don

Happy Easter everyone!
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: