Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-15-2002, 10:03 AM
svxstl

Question steering wheel shaking when cold

Hi all,

I've been looking at the forums for a while since I got my 96 Lsi/75K in August, but this is my first posting.

When I first start the car after it has been sitting for a while, the steering wheel shakes slightly at around 60-65 mph. Also, the steering isn't as responsive as it should be. After 5-10 minutes, everything gradually goes back to normal. I just did the power steering o-ring replacement last week (but this was happening before that).

Is this really a problem, or am I just paranoid? What could cause this, and how do I fix it?

Thanks!
Old 11-15-2002, 10:52 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: steering wheel shaking when cold

Quote:
Originally posted by svxstl
Hi all,

I've been looking at the forums for a while since I got my 96 Lsi/75K in August, but this is my first posting.

When I first start the car after it has been sitting for a while, the steering wheel shakes slightly at around 60-65 mph. Also, the steering isn't as responsive as it should be. After 5-10 minutes, everything gradually goes back to normal. I just did the power steering o-ring replacement last week (but this was happening before that).

Is this really a problem, or am I just paranoid? What could cause this, and how do I fix it?

Thanks!
Any time your steering wheel shakes, you should take it seriously. Unfortunately, there are many factors that could cause it, from simple to serious -- anything from the need for the wheels to warm up (cold 'flat spots'), to your P/S fluid being old and stiff and too cold to circulate, to tie rods to bushings. First thing is to take it to a shop and have your tie rods/ball joints and struts checked out. If all is solid there, it could be tire related.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 11-15-2002, 11:03 AM
Alcyone SVX LSL

tires pressure is a big thing also!!
I would suggest leaving your PSI lower than max cold pressure, mine are at about 37PSI tires say 44 i tried 40 and the steering did shake at bout 60mph. But at 37-38 they act normaly.
Old 11-15-2002, 11:32 AM
FifthElement

What tires and size do you have that require such large amounts of air?

Quote:
Originally posted by MT maniac
tires pressure is a big thing also!!
I would suggest leaving your PSI lower than max cold pressure, mine are at about 37PSI tires say 44 i tried 40 and the steering did shake at bout 60mph. But at 37-38 they act normaly.
Old 11-15-2002, 11:46 AM
Alcyone SVX LSL

Quote:
Originally posted by FifthElement
What tires and size do you have that require such large amounts of air?
They are 225/50-16 and are a bridgestone Potenza (RE910 I think). I am fairly sure that for almost any tire of around that size the PSI is max of 44PSI cold. A shop will put 35 to 37 in your tires when they put them on your car, that is normal.

Last edited by Alcyone SVX LSL; 11-15-2002 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-15-2002, 01:04 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Tire Pressure

Each car is different. Any Max PSI is the maximum for the tire not what should be used with the car. The tire pressure for normal driving is listed on the doorjamb. Using anything higher or lower isn't good for the suspension, wheels or tires in the long run. For the SVX it should be 29 rear and 31 front before the car has been driven for the day if I remember correctly. Temperature can change the psi by as much a 6psi which is why it should be checked every few weeks.
Old 11-15-2002, 01:14 PM
I_Alcyone_I

my 225/45 16's are at a max psi of around 60 i think.
Old 11-15-2002, 03:26 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Tire Pressure

Quote:
Originally posted by benebob
Each car is different. Any Max PSI is the maximum for the tire not what should be used with the car. The tire pressure for normal driving is listed on the doorjamb. Using anything higher or lower isn't good for the suspension, wheels or tires in the long run. For the SVX it should be 29 rear and 31 front before the car has been driven for the day if I remember correctly. Temperature can change the psi by as much a 6psi which is why it should be checked every few weeks.

Hmmm. MY doorjamb says 29 rear, 33 Front (mine's a 92). And, yes, you're right about the higher pressure and the suspension. Not to mention, jarring the fillings out of your teeth when going over bumps. I'd especially be careful of overinflation of the RE910's. They're T-Rated. That's what I had on the car when I first bought it. I LOVED those tires, but, the shop where I took my car said they wouldn't put T's back on because of their liability (Lowest recommended speed rating for the SVX is "V").
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 11-15-2002, 05:47 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Re: Re: Tire Pressure

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Hmmm. MY doorjamb says 29 rear, 33 Front (mine's a 92).

Remember I said if I remmember correctly. Too many Subies to remember the specifics. It makes me cringe when people put pressure to the maximum at cold b/c once those tires warm up your running about 5psi higher even more if its hotter that day then when you filled 'em. Really its a danger to anyone else on the road if that tire pops. I was in one of the PA turnpike tunnels with a friend that had just bought an old Civic. Apparently the previous owner tried to save a few bucks and had the tires retreaded (like they do on trucks). The whole tread came off and the car veared into the other lane. The fender and door were completely mangled. We were quite lucky to make it to that Pitt/Penn State game. The only bad thing was Pitt got crushed and the crowd was chanting Hackett can't Hack it by the end of the 1st quarter (Paul Hackett- Pitt's coach during the late 80's early 90s). Oh well at least Joe Pa got belted with a beer bottle while leaving.
Old 11-15-2002, 08:47 PM
Alcyone SVX LSL

Re: Re: Tire Pressure

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Hmmm. MY doorjamb says 29 rear, 33 Front (mine's a 92). ..... I LOVED those tires, but, the shop where I took my car said they wouldn't put T's back on because of their liability (Lowest recommended speed rating for the SVX is "V").
All I know that 36 is what mine are at after a short drive, 2 mile or so. Also i dont see when i will do 130mph or higher so why would I need v-rated tires, I wont break 100mph thats just what I promised the person who cares bout me the most. These tires are great for the wet and I hear they are ok in the snow, in 2 years ill get a second set of rims and have performance summer tires and a set of winter tires for the snow.