Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Wanted or For Sale > SVX's and SVX Parts For Sale > SVX Parts For Sale

Old 10-15-2011, 05:13 PM

Registered SVX
Re: DDM HID Kit

Thanks for the lights!
I think these are the 55w, if not I wouldn't wanna see the 55w. lol

Passenger Side = DDM HID
Driver Side = Sylvania Silver Star Ultra 9005 (high beam bulb mod)

Crappy Video:

Last edited by Lookin4SVX; 05-19-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:13 PM

Registered SVX

your welcome, enjoy
Old 10-15-2011, 09:57 PM

Registered SVX

I like the sound and look of this -- especially the plug and play part.

I've found the DDM website -- can anyone recommend which system to get for the low beams?

Thanks,
'97 Ebony LSi #426, CDM (1 of 51 in '97), 185k km, rebuilt engine & transfer case; 22mm Bontrager RSB; 4300k HID 9006 bulbs SOLD
'92 Ebony LS-L #6851, USDM (sold)
'08 Forester (wife's)
'06 STi (traded for the Forester)
'94 Legacy wagon (sold)

Last edited by Rod.; 10-15-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod. View Post
I've found the DDM website -- can anyone recommend which system to get for the low beams?
I would go for the 35W slim ballast kit for the 9006 bulb and 5000K temperature

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...ast-35W-or-55W

The 5000K bulb has approximately 3200 lumens output, which is more than 3x the light output of the traditional halogen light and is the color temperature with the most output.

The light appears fairly white, and has light, yellowish hue when reflected off the road, identical to the OEM HID-equipped vehicles. This color is for those who are looking for pure performance white improving the looks of their headlight and for those who do a lot of back road or canyon driving and need the optimal visibility.

This is the color temperature that gives you the most light for your money.

No glare, all of the light you will ever need and no heat.

I love the way the lights start up with a greenish hue and go to full pure white. These are my 5000K HID low beams and 5000K HID foglights at Reading.

The grille lights are set at half-power for this video. During the day, the grille lights are always on (but set to full power and not flashing, just a solid white bar.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 10-16-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:44 AM

Registered SVX

On the plug and play thing..

This set I bought (which looks different from the slimlines on the DDM page now) I had to use the "adapter plug" and plug it in upside down into my 9006 plug.

They would not fire up wired as shown on the DDM instructions.
In fact if I had fallowed the directions for the 9006 install on the DDM site and cut off the "unnecessary" cables, they wouldn't have worked.

There was a bit of swearing going on when I plugged them in as shown and they didn't fire.
Then I tried the next blub, and still didn't fire, more swearing...
Then I tried the other ballast, and it still didn't fire, more swearing...
Then I tried the other blub in the other ballast, still didn't fire, you guessed it, more swearing..
Then I remembered reading someone said something about reversed polarity on some HID setup, I said screw it and plugged in that adapter thing upside down, and walla!

I tried reversing the 9006 plug, but because it it keyed it wouldn't fit.
The adapter cable is a 9005 plug, it isn't keyed so you can just flip it over and plug it in.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Winter is coming

A reminder that there is only one disadvantage to HID lighting, They put out no heat.

So if you are driving is wet, snowy weather, there is no heat from the headlights to melt ice and slush, as with normal halogens.

Parked the car overnight at OT's during the Pumpkin Carve and there was a layer of frost on the headlights the next morning.

Turned on the HID low beams and my PIAA halogen hi-beams to melt the frost. 5 minutes later, the lens area in front of the high beams was melted, dry and completely clear.

The lens in front of the HIDs was still covered in frost. Anyone else noticed this?

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 10-16-2011, 11:13 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post

Winter is coming

A reminder that there is only one disadvantage to HID lighting, They put out no heat.

So if you are driving is wet, snowy weather, there is no heat from the headlights to melt ice and slush, as with normal halogens.
Parked the car overnight at OT's during the Pumpkin Carve and there was a layer of frost on the headlights the next morning.

Turned on the HID low beams and my PIAA halogen hi-beams to melt the frost. 5 minutes later, the lens area in front of the high beams was melted, dry and completely clear.
The lens in front of the HIDs was still covered in frost. Anyone else noticed this?

Yes, we noticed that you were here for the Pumpkin Carve!
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: