How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-16-2002, 11:44 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Legal ????s with my SVX

I'm sure that some on the board remember that my Alt went out about 2 months ago. I got a use one and took my dead one to a local Alt shop (recommend by Moderator Mike no less ) to get an estimate for fixing it. Finally got around to finding out what was wrong with it today over lunch since I was going to look at some slate right by there. So I go in there and he's like oh yeah, no one called you and he went to grab the alt. Well, they decided to rebuild it without my okay. The guys like well what were you gonna do after we said how much it was gonna cost? So I told him that doesn't matter (between everyone here I was thinking of getting it shined up a little so it dressed up the engine bay a little). He's like well you owe $130 for your alt. I said no I don't I want my core back. He claims he's gonna get one for me but what does everyone here think? Chances are he'll try to give me a Legacy one since they look the same right? Besides, its not gonna be in as good of shape (mine was rust free and clean as a whistle). Input for what I should do???
Old 10-16-2002, 11:55 AM
Green1995SVX

This is the second time this week ive looked bad for recommending a crappy place. I'm done recommending stuff.

My alternator on the cav is great, really! Well... i dunno. I would be severely pissed, but I'm a total pussy, so I would probably just shell out the money to get mine back.

I'm sorry, Ben

Mike
Old 10-16-2002, 12:31 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
The price isn't bad. If they can provide you with a warranty, I'd get it. It never hurts to have a spare.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 10-16-2002, 12:49 PM

Alt problems

Its not your fault Mike. They hooked you up good from what it sounds like. $130 isn't bad but again I told them not to do anywork to it. What they did is against the law right? That's why every dealership requires your signature before they do work right? What exactly would the Police do if I call them? To me its not the money (although I am completely broke with our settlement on our new home at the end of Oct.) its the principle. Besides I just freaking bought a car for less money than this. Someone has to have some legal experience with these things from all the dealer stories I've heard. I just don't want to loose out on the core (that way I can take it elsewhere and get it rebuilt). Yeah they do offer a 1 year unlimited mile warranty but anymore I drive all of 3000 miles a year in my SVX. Besides, if they screwed up one thing isn't it likely that they screwed up another.
Old 10-16-2002, 01:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to Paisan Send a message via Yahoo to Paisan
Take him to small claims court. You'll probably win. But in reality I'd just pay him the $130 and have a nice working alternator spare, unless you don't have the $. $130 isn't a bad price, is it worth your time to fight it?

-mike
Old 10-16-2002, 02:11 PM

Legal Alt ????

What about this? If I tell them to take the parts out that they replaced. That way I can take the remainder to another shop and get it rebuil there? Would that work or does the place need to send this stuff back when they replace just the regulator brushes and such.
Old 10-16-2002, 04:03 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Ben,

Check with your local state laws, but you may not have a leg to stand on...

I know that here in Ontario, if the item is left for repairs or inspection, and the owner does not claim it back after X days, they are in the legal right to dispose of it. The law is there to protect any establishment from becoming a free warehouse.

Here in Ontario, I believe it's 30 days. Which means if PA has a similar law, they in theory now OWNS your alternator, and they aren't obligated to give you any core.

For $130, that's not a bad price. I'd ask for them to test it, and if it comes out more than 95A, I would second Doug's idea.

FWIW.

VK
Old 10-16-2002, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vkykam
Ben,
For $130, that's not a bad price. I'd ask for them to test it, and if it comes out more than 95A, I would second Doug's idea.

FWIW.

VK
I have a good one now and I only paid $35 for it. Granted it hasn't been rebuilt but it might last just as long as a rebuilt one. No one knows. I asked about upgrading the Amps when I took it in abnd the guy told me that was a bad idea and would lead to premature failure. Something about wearing the parts down quicker.
Old 10-16-2002, 05:57 PM
Green1995SVX

They almost doubled the output of the one on my cav. They upgraded the housing though...

Mike
Old 10-18-2002, 01:18 PM

Legal ????'s

I went back Thursday pm to get my core back knowing full well that they wouldn't have found one and of course he said he couldn't get one. I explained to him the options that he had at that point.

1. Take the rebuilt alt apart and give me the remainder of my core then sign a letter stating that the parts which are not included will be supplied to me from another core within x number of days.

2. Wait for the police to show up and let them decide. How we would proceed.

3. Give me the rebuilt alt for his cost of parts and labor for an estimate.

Of course he jumped at #3. So now I have a totally rebuilt Alt sitting on my bookshelf collecting dust. Will it go bad just sitting around? The one in there now is working like a champ. Only has 42k on it.
Old 10-18-2002, 01:34 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
<<Will it go bad just sitting around?>>

Not likely. Just spin it by hand every few months and maybe lightly mist the case with a light oil to keep it looking pretty.

It will suffer much worse abuse in the car than on a shelf.

Congrats on your pseudo-victory.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 10-18-2002, 01:54 PM

reasonable idea

See your meachanic knows a reasonable person when he see's one..

now if I could only get mine to be so reasonable.

I have no ABS because someone screwed around with a abs wheel sensor.. Yet I don't feel like it my responsibilty to fix it cause 'I' didn't break it nor did it go bad..

So yes beeen there, done that...

I've yet to threaten him with court action.. I find it best to part ways with folks you take to court.
otherwise it may be something REALLY really expensive that GEts busted by WHomever may be working on my car again.

Just not something I'm going to worry over.. I have a meachanic so I's don't have to worry. guess it's time to find another meachanic

SVX1999

Glad to hear of your Victory..
Old 10-18-2002, 02:28 PM

Wheel sensor

They didn't just get it dirty did they? Aparantly if you let Isuzu's sit for a month or two w/o driving it the rotor rusts up so much that when you do drive it the rust flakes cake the abs sensor at the wheel. Most places will just replace it but There's a shop that'll clean em for the account I work on. I'd suspect that the design is similar. Not that rust got in there but maybe dirt.
Old 10-18-2002, 02:55 PM

Re: Wheel sensor

Quote:
Originally posted by benebob
They didn't just get it dirty did they? Aparantly if you let Isuzu's sit for a month or two w/o driving it the rotor rusts up so much that when you do drive it the rust flakes cake the abs sensor at the wheel. Most places will just replace it but There's a shop that'll clean em for the account I work on. I'd suspect that the design is similar. Not that rust got in there but maybe dirt.
Or maybe someone removed it wrong broke it in process. Sure is funny all was Good before the bearing was replaced. Now after it was replaced I got an ABS problem out of the blue..
nah Dont think so..

Lets put it this way I have few enemies. Might be because I'm just such a nice guy.. then again nice folks do have Evil sides.

my ABS sensor will be fixed and SOON.. otherwise it's going to be a bad day for a Suby shop. If I have to go out and buy a sensor, I don't care.. Just as long as it's Fixed.. IT's starting to get cold and rainy. Ice and slick roads huh, this is just what I want..
svx1999
Ryan
Dirt didn't cause this failure I'm afraid. I wish or I would clean it myself.