How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-06-2008, 12:53 PM

Double post.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:54 PM

The car is still in my driveway, unable to start but cranking.

I'm really buisy with my job so I did not check further my svx's statut.

Nextse7en,
thank you very much for these steps. As for the redish relay, I didn't locate it but each time I'm putting the ignition at 'on' I can hear a clicking noise from under the dash.

My timing belt is the original one. I need to change it soon but It's not my problem right now, the car was running great before I shut it off.

It's nice outside today and I should work on the car. I'm so mad about seeing the car cranking really good without any starts. I feel like towing it to my local Subaru dealership.

Rick,
thanks for your support! But why do you want to replace the relay if it's clicking like it's supose to? And by the way, where did you remove the fuel line to check if you have any fuel? I think this is my problem because even if I'm cranking the car for 2-3minutes, I can't smell any gas fumes...

Many thanks guys and sorry for my english, it's not my first language.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:11 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
What kind of battery do you have?

I start my car every two weeks, and I usually need to jump it. After letting it charge a bit it starts fine after a few seconds of cranking. My block heater is not plugged in because my external plug was removed before I bought the car and I've never had to fix it.
At that temperature, a good battery with high CCA should start you up in about 5 seconds.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.

Last edited by NikFu S.; 01-06-2008 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:35 PM

I'm using a Duracel battery that should be suited for my car..

I dont think it's a battery issue because it's cranking really well, even after a minute or two of cranking.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to wannarace928 Send a message via Yahoo to wannarace928
Classic SVX
I would definately check for fuel, my car constantly turns without starting as well and discovered a bad fuel pump (this is the second bad one actually, at least I am hoping thats all it is this time!).
The way I checked was, I turned the key to " on" and listened for any noise coming from the fuel pump. You can usually hear the fuel pump working. When I didnt hear anything, I pulled the hose coming from the car to the fuel filter, put the hose in a container and tried to start the car real quick - a quick turn of the key. - If you get fuel you can at least rule out fuel pump and start looking for other problems.
But since you are not smelling fuel after turning it that for that long...
2009 Subaru Forester - Mileage Junky
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
2017 Ford Mustang GT 6spd

Last edited by wannarace928; 01-06-2008 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:24 PM

Thanks for this output Wannarace!

That's definatly what I'm suspected.. I will check for fuel statut tomorrow.

As well, I notice that I can hear the fuel pump every time I put the key to 'on'. Somebody can confirm that it's not the only way to check a fuel pump? I mean, my fuel pump can be dead even if it is making the common pump noise?

By the way guys, is the fuel filter located at the same place as any car? Just beside the firewall?

Thanks!
Old 01-06-2008, 05:26 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Yup, filter is beside the engine, right up against the coolant tank.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 01-06-2008, 06:45 PM
Graphic Artist

I'm leaning away from your fuel pump, the starting fluid should have at the very least produced a cough.

I'm thinking ignition, does the cranking sound different than usual? A faster or uneven cranking?

Double check that cam sensor. Its on the drivers side in front on top of the engine. (Check subaruparts.com for a diagram)

Check the TPS, and associated plug under the throttle body.

Did you try checking the relays in the engine compartment fuse panel? Could be as simple as a FI fuse blown.

There are a few spark plugs that are quite accessible, take one out and hold it against the intake plenum to see if you can find spark, I'm willing to be you won't see it.

If you think it IS the fuel pump, (sometimes the car will somehow intuit its problem to its owner) try one more time with the starting fluid, spray into the snorkus for a count of two, then immediately reconnect and try to start, if you wait to long it will simply evaporate. I would spray it up towards the MAF from the intake box, as its simpler to then just slam the lid down and have a friend crank the car immediately.

1995 Ebony Pearl. S.N. 0001 "Araby"

JDM Power Mode Switch, Integrated GPS/Video Player
6Xk Miles.

1992 Teal - Sold to Mysvxrocks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-06-2008, 07:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to wannarace928 Send a message via Yahoo to wannarace928
Classic SVX
If you are hearing the pump when turning it to the "on" position, I would lean more towards a sensor or something else causing the issue.

If you do take off one of the hoses on the fuel filter to make sure, remember the line may be pressurized. I use a clean rag over the hose when pulling it off just incase. - On a legacy I had a long time ago, it squirted me.
2009 Subaru Forester - Mileage Junky
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
2017 Ford Mustang GT 6spd
Old 01-07-2008, 11:38 AM
5 speed 4 sure

Registered SVX
Are you getting fuel after the fuel filter? I'm curious now after seeing your post.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:18 PM

OK guys, little update here!

Even if I was bored about partying with Mr. SVX today, the weather was nice so I checked that out.

First, as for the gas situation, everything is in working order. I disconnect the gas line between the filter and the fuel rail (To be sure that the filter is not clogged) and the gas was squirting fine at 'ON'.

Secondly, I checked for that knock sensor.. Is it suppose to be located beside the 'EG33' tag on the passenger side under the alternator? I think so. Wathever, it's plugged correctly and the wiring is looking good. I remember that I changed that knock sensor via the subaru dealer 1year ago... I dont know if they made a mistake or something when changing it? But anyway, how I can check if that sensor is working? And if it was not working, I would assume the check engine light to light up in the dash...

Then, I removed the first coil pack on the passenger side (Only the coilpack, not the spark plug) and check for fire. I was alone and I dont know if my ghetto 'setup' was working but I did not see any sparks pressing the screwdriver in the spark plug wire and grounding it to the aluminium intake manifold.

Well guys, that's where I am now. I have a 2 days break tomorrow and wednesday, I guess that if I dont find the problem during these days, I will tow the car at my local dealership.

Thanks again..
Old 01-11-2008, 03:22 PM

Well, I just got my car back from my local mechanic. (He is pretty good working with SVXs!)

For everyone interrest,my problem was a worn out crank angle sensor.

It cost me about 300$ Can: (80$towing/ 100$Used SVX sensor/ 65$ labour/ 35$engine code test/ Taxes)

Many thanks for your help guys, it was really appreciated. I simply hope that this thread will help other people to repair their own SVX!

Thanks!
Old 01-11-2008, 06:23 PM
Locker Link Solution

good good, your english IS good too by the way.
Sorry I wasn't around to answer your question/give the next step... I've really been busy with a new job.

Glad you got it fixed.
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 01-12-2008, 01:56 PM

Arrow crank angle sensor #2 (code 29)

Hey guys, thanks to yall and esteele ive been able to locate, learn to use and aquire code for reading trouble shooting my new 92 svx, It was not starting due to the crank angle sensor #2 (at top of LOP). I will now beg barter or steal the money to get a new one and ill give up-dates from there.