Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-24-2005, 06:45 PM
Superbeast

Finally, time to see haw fast my SVX is.........in corners!!!

I finally cought up with the Porsche club that autocrosses right near my work. I always missed them last year, but now I got their info and calender. It looks like they race there about twice a month. I can't wait to do the next one. Becouse it's a Porche club I guess they class all "other" cars in the same class, despite mods or expiriance, and no awards at the end of the year (like I care )

I got to watch a few runs, it was so cool. They had 911's of all vintages, a few 914's, some Boxters, 2 convertibal 350Z's (one w/T.T.s), 2 STI's, and an ugly green VW beetle that sounded awsome and was pretty damn quik.

Looks like I need to get a damn helmet and start seriously tweeking my suspension. Time to start threatening the turnning crowd as well as the strait line crowd.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 07-24-2005, 07:00 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Jesse,
Welcome to the club! Hate to tell you, but the NOS isn't going to help you in autoX
In terms of "most bang for your buck", I'd suggest doing the following (in the order listed):

1. Get either "sticky" street tires (Azenis) or R-Compound (Kumho VictoRacers or Hoosiers) tires -- check Ebay for "slightly used" ones. Go about 10 lbs higher in pressure in front (ex. 45psi F / 35psi R)
2. Adjust your Koni inserts - you'll want the fronts softer than the rears due to the car's understeering bias
3. Adjust your ground control springs to lower the car - see if you can't get to a shop that sets up race cars so you can corner weight your car by adjusting the GCs
4. Get a good autoX alignment done - try -1.0 degrees of camber - front and back - for starters (yes, you'll have to get camber bolts for the rear) with 0 degrees toe.

Other suggestions in mind....figure these will keep you busy for a little while...

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker

Last edited by SVXRide; 07-24-2005 at 07:05 PM.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:34 PM
Giong back to the beaters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
Jesse,
Welcome to the club! Hate to tell you, but the NOS isn't going to help you in autoX
In terms of "most bang for your buck", I'd suggest doing the following (in the order listed):

1. Get either "sticky" street tires (Azenis) or R-Compound (Kumho VictoRacers or Hoosiers) tires -- check Ebay for "slightly used" ones. Go about 10 lbs higher in pressure in front (ex. 45psi F / 35psi R)
2. Adjust your Koni inserts - you'll want the fronts softer than the rears due to the car's understeering bias
3. Adjust your ground control springs to lower the car - see if you can't get to a shop that sets up race cars so you can corner weight your car by adjusting the GCs
4. Get a good autoX alignment done - try -1.0 degrees of camber - front and back - for starters (yes, you'll have to get camber bolts for the rear) with 0 degrees toe.

Other suggestions in mind....figure these will keep you busy for a little while...

-Bill

Umm... yeah what he said.
89 240sx se red ~165k miles Gone and unknown
89 240sx se Black~185k R.I.P.
85 Toyota pickup ~205k R.I.P.
85 BMW 325e ~ Gone and unknown
85 Ford Mustang getting engine swap now!
05 Colorado ~108k Daily Driver
Old 07-24-2005, 07:37 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundering02
Umm... yeah what he said.

Would be easier just to run your lifted loyale over top that hideous green dome and be done with it.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:20 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
Would be easier just to run your lifted loyale over top that hideous green dome and be done with it.

harsh....really harsh....
-Bill
p.s. aren't Beetles an endangered species?

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker

Last edited by SVXRide; 07-24-2005 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:22 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subafreak
Time to start threatening the turnning crowd as well as the strait line crowd.

And what are you gonna do when Melissa beats you on the turny courses too???
Old 07-24-2005, 08:27 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Nice. Welcome to the autoxing club! Good luck running cirlces around those Porsches!!!

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 07-24-2005, 08:28 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Dave,
Okay, so when does Ben join you in ganging up on Jesse!!!
-Bill

My Locker
Old 07-24-2005, 08:43 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Was the beetle driven by someone named corey from PA?

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 07-25-2005, 04:27 AM
Superbeast

Thanks for the tips Bill, I will probly go with the Azenis becouse I can get them through the shop for a good price, and still use them as street tires.

Dave just tell Mell I will be waiting for her.

Chike, I don't have my hopes that high yet, I'm still just hoping I can adapt to the sea of cones in front of me. The rally-cross was easy, there was a trail in the snow to go along with the cones, but in a parking lot in just looks crazy.

I don't know who was in the beetle, I only got to hang out for a minite to get the info I needed, I didn'y really get a chance to take to anyone about anything else. Not yet.

Old 07-25-2005, 10:16 AM
Who watches the watchmen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
Jesse,

-Bill
Great advice! Personally, I would be a little more agressive with the camber settings. -1.5* to -2.0* would really help. Plus, if you get serious and want really good r-comp tires, I recommend Kuhmo V710. What a tire! And they make them in stock 225/50/16 SVX size.

Don't get too caught up in the mods. Seat time will yield the biggest improvement. Once you no longer get the "sea of cones" feeling then you can get down to fine tuning the car.

Check out the pic below for some good advice. I would link the pic directly but it contains a bad word.

http://teamwtf.org/gallery/albums/al...cklist_v10.jpg
Old 07-25-2005, 07:50 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Chike, I don't have my hopes that high yet, I'm still just hoping I can adapt to the sea of cones in front of me. The rally-cross was easy, there was a trail in the snow to go along with the cones, but in a parking lot in just looks crazy.
Do your best out there...and remember the #1 rule - HAVE FUN!!!

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 07-26-2005, 07:38 PM
Superbeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique14
Great advice! Personally, I would be a little more agressive with the camber settings. -1.5* to -2.0* would really help. Plus, if you get serious and want really good r-comp tires, I recommend Kuhmo V710. What a tire! And they make them in stock 225/50/16 SVX size.

Don't get too caught up in the mods. Seat time will yield the biggest improvement. Once you no longer get the "sea of cones" feeling then you can get down to fine tuning the car.

Check out the pic below for some good advice. I would link the pic directly but it contains a bad word.

http://teamwtf.org/gallery/albums/al...cklist_v10.jpg

Yeah, those numbers do seem a little conservative Bill. I think I've been running 1.5 on the street for awile. I'm not getting to crazy with mods, (who me??) I was just thinking about getting the poly swaybar bushings and resetting my ridehight and alingment. I't a pretty bumpy broken up parking lot so I'm gonna need a bit more suspension travel than I have now, plus it's really set to low anyway. Other than that I need to try and do something about tires, but they ussually cost "REAL" money so I will probly just have to slide around on whats left of my RE730's.

My first race should be on Aug. 21st.

Old 07-26-2005, 08:22 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Yeah, those numbers do seem a little conservative Bill. I think I've been running 1.5 on the street for awile. I'm not getting to crazy with mods, (who me??) I was just thinking about getting the poly swaybar bushings and resetting my ridehight and alingment. I't a pretty bumpy broken up parking lot so I'm gonna need a bit more suspension travel than I have now, plus it's really set to low anyway. Other than that I need to try and do something about tires, but they ussually cost "REAL" money so I will probly just have to slide around on whats left of my RE730's.

My first race should be on Aug. 21st.

Jesse,
That's why I said "for starters" With your Koni/GC set up you may not have to run as much negative camber - expecially if you get the car corner weighted.
-Bill

My Locker