How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-16-2004, 05:27 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to richardc_51
front end

There's a hollow sound coming from the front end whenever my '92 Pearlie with 119K goes over a bump or dribbles over broken pavement. It seems to have gotten worse as the months have gone on. It's like a "pocketta...pocketta...pocketta" kind-of-sound.

One of the mechanics who regularly services the car suggested it may be the McPherson struts (shocks). But there's no tell-tale sign that the shocks are worn when I push down on the front end; it doesn't bounce, and the car drives true with no steering problems when I'm on the highway or the byway.

The rear assembly bushings need to be replaced (one has to buy the entire assembly for $800, I'm told), but the sound is coming from the front, not the rear.

Anyone have any ideas? Mechanic says it would cost about $800 with parts and labor to replace the shocks. Sigh.

Richard
Old 02-16-2004, 08:38 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Did you ever have the strut mount fix performed? From what you've described, it sounds like it might be the problem. Sorry I don't know the Subaru part number off the top of my head. Try doing a search of the site for "front struts" to see what it turns up.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 02-17-2004, 01:33 AM

front-end noise

I've had a noise up front for a while too. Just got the alignment done, had them check 'the rack', all the mounts, the tie rods...couldn't find ANY noise.
Turns out the right side sway bar end link(connects sway bar to suspension) was a little loose. The nut on the end link was just loose enough for the end link to move up & down in the mounting hole.
The hole for the mounting bolt is surprisingly bigger than the bolt going thru it. Tightened the nut...whala!! NO NOISE!!
Might look there! Who knows?!
mile-hi-bri
Old 02-17-2004, 07:19 AM
I look like Gordon

Hi Richard.

I finally got around to tearing apart the extra rear subframe assembly I have, and I really think it would be a good candidate for the poured urethane repair we talked about before. And I'm glad I didn't end up selling you the one I had as it is, because it turns out that one of the bushings in that one was completely separated from the sleeve as well.

Front struts are easy to replace, and I have done quite a few at this point. We could easily do them in a couple hours if you want to pick up the parts and bring them out some weekend afternoon. It should cost you a great deal less than $800, because I work for beer.

-Mike
Old 02-17-2004, 08:04 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
It seems that there are quite a few things that can cause clunking sounds in the front end of an SVX. There have been posts about loose swaybars, loose brake caliper mounts, worn strut mounts, and I'm sure more. However, I don't recall anyone having stopped clunking sounds by replacing the struts alone though.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 02-17-2004, 06:24 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to richardc_51
Mike & all others:

Thanks for the responses. Mechanic suggests I bring it in and he will check the front end to make sure the noise is coming from the struts and not something else. I'll do that this week.

The sway bar linkages recently were replaced because they were loose, says the mechanic. Also replaced the two front axles because they had dried out from age and the car started vibrating badly when I declerated at highway speed. Was no fun. I thought the car was coming apart.

If the noise problem is the struts, what are the recommended aftermarket parts?

Mike: I might take you up on your offer. It's starting to get warm. Ron says we should get together. I'll bring the beer. I'd like to do that rear assembly, too.

Richard
Old 02-17-2004, 07:18 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally posted by richardc_51
Mike & all others:

If the noise problem is the struts, what are the recommended aftermarket parts?

Richard
Only two options: replace with OEM Subaru struts, or put Koni inserts in the old struts and upgrade to Ground Control springs.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:03 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Quote:
Originally posted by rufus
Hi Richard.

I finally got around to tearing apart the extra rear subframe assembly I have, and I really think it would be a good candidate for the poured urethane repair we talked about before. And I'm glad I didn't end up selling you the one I had as it is, because it turns out that one of the bushings in that one was completely separated from the sleeve as well.

Front struts are easy to replace, and I have done quite a few at this point. We could easily do them in a couple hours if you want to pick up the parts and bring them out some weekend afternoon. It should cost you a great deal less than $800, because I work for beer.

-Mike
-Mike
The separated bushing you refer to is in the subframe?
Old 02-18-2004, 10:35 AM
mark10t

Mine does that vague 'thumpy' sound, too, when you go over just the right kind of shallow bumps (from the right front corner). I thought it might be a strut, too, but when I replaced all the struts a few months ago, the sound is still there. (For what it's worth- I replaced with OEM struts. I'm happy with the improvements at 130,xxx mi's.) It's been 'with' the car for quite a while, so I thought I'd just have to live with it. It sounds like some exploration might find a loose bushing or something.

At least I'm not the only one....

-Mark

Last edited by mark10t; 02-18-2004 at 10:39 AM.