Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-02-2003, 03:17 PM

Need Help with registration info on my SVX

Does anyone know how much it would cost me to have my 1994 svx registered in NY? I am moving to NY for a few months or maybe for good. It would cost me $600-$700 to register the car in Florida.(new plates, tax, etc.) NY DMV told me they base their tax on the weight of the car.

I will be flying to Fla. and drive the car back on Weds. Should I go ahead and register the car in Fla. and then change the plates to NY plates down the road? How much would that cost me? Need info badly.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-02-2003, 03:49 PM
ww111

Based on weight does not sound correct at all. I know you'll pay taxes based on what you paid for the car. Based on the bill of sale (wink wink) registration for my 92 SVX was <$100 to late '04. I think the tax is the mojor cost. is the title in your name. I'm not sure NYS will tranfer a title that's not in your name. Lastly the DMV has a very good website.

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/

best o'luck, Where in NY?
Collins
Old 06-02-2003, 04:38 PM

Thanks ww111! This does help.

This is what I got from the website you linked.

"What is the registration fee for my vehicle?

The registration fee for most types of vehicles depends on the weight of the vehicle. When you register a vehicle for the first time, the total fees normally include: the sales tax, a vehicle plate fee or registration transfer fee, a title certificate fee, and vehicle use taxes in some counties."

But it still does not give me a estimate of sorts. Looks like I'll have to go to the DMV early.

Aren't svx's kinda overweight for a sports car?
Old 06-02-2003, 04:44 PM

Quote:
The DMV uses the purchase price or the fair market value of the vehicle to calculate the sales tax that you must pay.
This part also sucks because I got my SVX really cheap and below market value. Now they are gonna charge me based on what they think the car cost which would be more than I paid for? I hope not.
Old 06-02-2003, 06:09 PM

I wouldn't title the car in FLA then retitle in NY, the cost has to be way high (due to redundancy). First because there's a surcharge for a new title in FLA if you're not replacing a car (if you were just replacing the title xfer & plates would be about $150 + sales tax). Next they'd probably hassle you for no FLA license. You can however drop by a DMV in FLA and get a 10 day temp plate for a couple of bucks, avoid sales tax here, etc and with the purchase price documented, NY should recognize the car based on price paid.

One caveat, this is based on believed info, not something I have actually tested myself. However, if you give me some specifics I can call the DMV and confirm any details you want, then post back.
Old 06-02-2003, 06:23 PM
calmone

you will have to check dmv, a few things to remember if ny is anything like maryland. the "fee" is not a "tax", it's a registration fee. this allows them to get you when you move a car into the state. the rate is the same as the sales tax. even though you buy the car in md, if it's from an individual they don't recognize the sales price even though it's on the title, they use the blue book UNLESS you have a NOTARIZED bill of sale (this really aggrivates me as a potential rip off as most people figure the sales price is on the title). and yes, if you can somehow temp. it in fl and then get them to view it as a sale in ny rather than blue book it's a good idea. also check what inspections have to be made on the car, most states will require you to have it done in their state.