Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-05-2003, 02:41 PM

Crank Pulley Wrench

Does anyone in Philly / NJ area have the crank pulley tool #499977000? Can I borrow/rent?

Does anyone anywhere know a generic substitute or or trick for getting the center bolt undone WITH ENGINE IN CAR i.e., I can not get a straight shot at it with an impact wrench.
SVXROO
'92 Pearl
'94Bordeaux
Old 04-05-2003, 03:00 PM
Superbeast

If you have a long 1/2inch ratchet or breaker bar, place it against the frame of the car and tap the ignition to break it free. It's a good idea to disable the coils or the the fuel pump so that it dosn't start when you do it. Another way is to remove the flywheel cover and stick a prybar against one of the converter bolts, you will probley have to do this to tighen the bolt when your done just be carefull not to break any sensors or anything it's kinda hard to get to.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 04-05-2003, 04:54 PM
Green1995SVX

I got a strap wrench, and wedged it against the power steering pump, then used a breaker bar to break the nut. worked great.

mike
Old 04-05-2003, 09:25 PM

Strap wrench worked for me too. I had to use a 4ft break bar for the bolt.
Old 04-05-2003, 10:43 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I just use a breaker bar (break-over bar for those following along with a Chilton's or Hayne's manual ) and a BFH. For those that have life-long battles with hand-eye coordination, like myself, you may want to place an unfolded cardboard box on the back of the radiator in order to protect it. My preferred weapon is a 48 oz. sledge=faced hammer. Slap the breaker bar with the side of the hammer a few times and the bolt should break loose. DO NOT give up and decide to drive the car without completing the job, as the belt may have jumped a tooth or two when utilizing this process. For those that wish to seek alternative methods I agree with the strap wrench solution or the factory tool (although I would never purchase one. )
Old 04-06-2003, 05:55 PM

Thanks, got the idea!

Thanks guys for the ideas. The general reply is use more power!! I like Subafreaks bumping the motor trick; I'm not sure I'm brave enough but I will use it if all is clear and other techniques fail. Obvoiusly I will check motor rotation first!!!

I was preparing to make my own tool similar to the factory one which is NLA (our favorite acronym! right?).

Now I will buy a long breaker bar and the correct 6 point socket. I tried a "strap wrench" but it was too wimpy. I'll upgrade that tool too. With two SVX's and both due for timing belts the investment is worth it.
SVXROO
Old 04-06-2003, 07:32 PM
ALsvx

Roo,

I made my own “make shift” “strap wrench” out of a piece of mountain climber’s rope and a crow bar. I tied the rope in a knot and looped it around the pulley like a noose, I put the crow bar through the “noose” and against the ground so it would tighten the “noose” when I loosened the nut… it worked great… I did use an 18-inch pry bar on the nut….

Bill
Old 04-06-2003, 10:27 PM
Registered Abuser

Can you get an impact wrench on it if you pull the radiator? Only takes five minutes to yank it.
94 Barcelona - FWD SOLD
92 Ebony - 3.90 SOLD
94 Laguna ROLLING w/4.44s/Ecutune ECU +TCU/STI springs/Infiniti M45 rims
Old 04-07-2003, 04:40 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Ken,

I have a length of pipe that I use as a breaker bar. Let me know if you want to borrow it.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 04-07-2003, 02:11 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I made my own strap wrench, and I'm not real proud of it. I tightened up the accessory belt tensioner as much as I dared, wedged a screwdriver through the PS pump pulley, braced that against the pump, and used a breaker bar.

I removed the radiator entirely because I had to remove my oil pump and I needed to fit the gear puller in. That turned out to be a real good idea - my radiator was PACKED with dirt and debris, which turned out to be the problem with my AC. Not enough air was flowing through, and the condenser wasn't worknig properly because of it. I washed my radiator thoroughly and my AC works great now.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 04-08-2003, 04:23 PM

My old pulley's rubber stuff had disintegrated so the inner and outer pieces spun when I used a strap wrench. So, I had to make my own tool from a 30" long 2x6 and some 5/16" steel rod from the hardware store. I just drilled 4 holes to match the pattern and a hole in the middle for the socket. I also shaped a handle into it to make it a little more useable and now it kind of looks like an oar .
'80 Honda CBX in-line 24 valve 6 cylinder
Old 04-11-2003, 06:36 PM

still not there

Well I have taken SOME of your advice, but still the bolt won't budge. Hee is what I have done:
-used strap wrench
-since I followed the book and first pulled all the aux.'s off I do not have a solid piece to brace it on. Wife's arms just don't cut it!
-Got proper 6-pt 22mm socket
-24" breaker bar
-BIG hammer
...and I wacked, and wacked and wacked.

and I tried subafreak's trick of bumping the started...just got a 'clunk', even gave it a head start.

I want the guy over here that says he can pull the radiator in 5 minutes. Does he count time to drain fluids, ondo fans, move AC condensor and remove the grill piece? In 5 minutes!! Come on over!

I have never messed with Auto tranny's but I think blocking the crank solid at the rear is the way to go, but it could get real expensive if I mess something up. Any words of advice? What bolt? how far do I insert (no comment on that one)? How big a piece?

I am going to start removing fans and such to get more space.

I was heading in the direction of the homemade tool mimicking the Subaru part. I was figuing something that looked like a pulley with 4 bolts and a long handle bolted on. For me, it would have to sit in the pulley cavity.

Oh why didn't Subaru thread those holes????

More ideas please...
Ken

Only thing the strap wrench seemd to do was marr up the timing marks on the plastic behind pulley
Old 04-13-2003, 08:26 AM

Success!!

Finally got the bolt off, in the end it came off easily. I modified a screwdriver to fit just right in the front of the flywheel (converter bolt?) so that crank had no give at all. Then just a normal push on the 24" breaker bar and off she (bolts probably aren't she!!) came. No hammer, no pounding just normal torque.

So Subafreak had it right after all.

Thanks all, and see my new post about timing belt tensioner!
Ken