Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2011, 07:53 AM

Registered SVX
oddness of my oddity is being odd :/

took my pearlie for a 500-600 kms round trip to drop some rims for tony at matts place , trans was acting kinda weird the whole way , randomly downshifting and flaring so i used manual mode to hold the gears instead . i gave her a bit of a boot to over take a few cars a couple of times and it would go to 2nd and hit the limiter so i would back off , got home started the car to go to work and now the shifts are very strong and clunky like , before hand it would be like it was slipping between shifts now its just goin 1st-clunk straight to 2nd-clunk straight to 3rd , any ideas whats goin on ? maybe the lines were partially blocked and the bit of a bootfull cleared them out a bit ?
Old 10-07-2011, 02:46 AM

Re: oddness of my oddity is being odd :/

maybe try flushing the oil with dex3, do another 200km, then fill it with transmaxJ
Old 10-07-2011, 08:10 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93tzlegacy View Post
maybe try flushing the oil with dex3, do another 200km, then fill it with transmaxJ
i was going to give the trans some new oil but now its stalls in any gear , starts fine in P and N but put it into a gear and it just stalls out , only other weird thing i have noticed is that the power steering makes it drop revs a lot when in N or P which only started doing that tonight when i tried to drive home from work , it is stuck in the carpark at my work

guess i i should just un rego it and save for a 5 speed wreck to convert it if its not something cheap and simple
Old 10-07-2011, 08:16 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Try adjusting/cleaning the TPS?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 10-07-2011, 04:35 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Try adjusting/cleaning the TPS?
thanks icingdeath
i will check it tomoro when my dad brings his multimeter in
il check the trans codes and see what it says ,
hopefully its just that and not the TC
Old 10-08-2011, 05:17 AM

CHeck all the engine and transmission plugs under the bonnet. Could be that when the pulled the engine they didn't push the plugs fully in. You have 4 under the snorkle on the drives side and the transmission ones on the other side.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:43 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner View Post
CHeck all the engine and transmission plugs under the bonnet. Could be that when the pulled the engine they didn't push the plugs fully in. You have 4 under the snorkle on the drives side and the transmission ones on the other side.
Tony
i will do that tomoro tony when i check the tps with dads voltmeter
Old 10-08-2011, 04:28 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

I hate to be the voice of doom, but it does look like the linings on the converter clutch have broken up to lock it up. If that is the original box, without an external strainer/filter, and the original cooler, the 500/600 K trip may have been without cooling lube getting to the gears, with more serious consequences.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:43 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
I hate to be the voice of doom, but it does look like the linings on the converter clutch have broken up to lock it up. If that is the original box, without an external strainer/filter, and the original cooler, the 500/600 K trip may have been without cooling lube getting to the gears, with more serious consequences.

Harvey.
thats ok harvey, i kind of suspected that was the cause. im pretty sure its the original box but in the log book it had been worked on im not sure what was done to it though , and no it doesnt have an external filter and it is through the original cooler . weird thing was that it was fine the entire trip and then i drove to work not even half an hour after i got back and it had super firm shifts maybe that was the tc staying locked making it do that , and it drove for 3 couple of km trips to work and back like that before it stalled at the bottom of a driveway into the carpark
Old 10-08-2011, 05:09 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by aust92pearl View Post
thats ok harvey, i kind of suspected that was the cause. im pretty sure its the original box but in the log book it had been worked on im not sure what was done to it though , and no it doesnt have an external filter and it is through the original cooler . weird thing was that it was fine the entire trip and then i drove to work not even half an hour after i got back and it had super firm shifts maybe that was the tc staying locked making it do that , and it drove for 3 couple of km trips to work and back like that before it stalled at the bottom of a driveway into the carpark
Yes you would not notice any thing till the linings started to break-up, yes it would cause the hard shifts due to no converter action, but that would have been the end result of the problem. Till then there has been bits of the lining coming away, flowing to the cooler to block it and slowly reducing the flow of cool lubricating oil to the gears and shafts.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:22 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
Yes you would not notice any thing till the linings started to break-up, yes it would cause the hard shifts due to no converter action, but that would have been the end result of the problem. Till then there has been bits of the lining coming away, flowing to the cooler to block it and slowly reducing the flow of cool lubricating oil to the gears and shafts.

Harvey.
ah ok , hmmm thats definatly sounds more like wats going on then any of the elec side of things , which would also explain why one of the hoses started leaking the day i got it registered , i changed them and looked at the ones i removed and couldnt see any cracks in them and fluid was pouring out of it when running , but didnt leak once i changed them .

do you know if any other model subaru tc's will work ? or is my best option to just take the rego off it and save for a manual swap instead of trying to fix the tc to just have some other problem arise in the auto ?

i attempted to check the tps but i only had a small pin and my hands are too big to get it into the white wire between the vac hoses that are there and it was starting to rain . also with 4 or so inches of clearance and the car park being on a 20* angle its kind of not the best place to try to give the gearbox/tc a whack with a hammer .
hmm i wonder if my ghetto old rolla will pass a blueslip again haha
Old 10-08-2011, 06:40 PM

Registered SVX

would this be a viable donor for a 5 speed
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Subaru-Li...item2a14871c31

or this
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=200649838954

top one is a gen 3 and is $800 atm for the whole car
bottom one is a gen 2 and the guy said the parts i asked for would be about $600

Last edited by aust92pearl; 10-09-2011 at 04:52 AM.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:13 AM

go for the gen 3 the other one has a cable clutch
Old 10-09-2011, 06:21 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by legacyau View Post
go for the gen 3 the other one has a cable clutch
yeah thats what i was thinking becasue i can sell whatever parts are left on the car as well as it might make it easier to go 6 speed later lol

my dad thinks it could be the solenoid making the tc stay locked ?
anyone know how to check that ?
Old 10-10-2011, 12:25 AM

Registered SVX

Just in case it helps... the guys I got my replacement engine from probably still have the gearbox. Had only done ~80000km.