SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2012, 05:46 PM
Alleged User

Registered SVX
Re: The thingy scratching my window

The OEM replacement pads aren't too spendy, but they do add up if you replace them all (front and rear, inner and outer pads).

You don't have to remove the glass to get to them. IIRC you just unbolt the brackets holding the two inner ones on and then the window can be pulled slightly inward to access the outers (with the window down of course). I was able to remove the outers by prying on them with a flat blade screw driver. They clip into the sheet metal, but also have adhesive on the back side that hold them in place.

It's a pretty easy job, I've done all of mine. Unfortunately it was too late for my front driver's side window.

1997 SVX LSi Bordeaux Pearl
1995 SVX L AWD Polo Green - 277k miles
1986 Pontiac Fiero 3.4L Twin Dual Cam V6
Old 10-23-2012, 02:53 PM
- Bad Wolf -

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coan View Post
The OEM replacement pads aren't too spendy, but they do add up if you replace them all (front and rear, inner and outer pads).

You don't have to remove the glass to get to them. IIRC you just unbolt the brackets holding the two inner ones on and then the window can be pulled slightly inward to access the outers (with the window down of course). I was able to remove the outers by prying on them with a flat blade screw driver. They clip into the sheet metal, but also have adhesive on the back side that hold them in place.

It's a pretty easy job, I've done all of mine. Unfortunately it was too late for my front driver's side window.
Both my fronts windows are lightly scuffed. I am hoping to polish them because they aren't too bad but at least there are still good clean glass parts out there to be had.

-Mike O
Old 10-24-2012, 03:11 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
I haven't fixed the glass yet but I had Novus look at it and they said it could be repaired.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:39 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coan View Post
The OEM replacement pads aren't too spendy
Does anyone have the part numbers, please ?

Thanks,

Tapani
Old 10-24-2012, 10:07 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

From this thread: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36285

Outer Stabilizer Part # 62310PA000
Inner Stabilizer RHS # 62320PA000
Inner Stabilizer LHS # 62320PA010

Order the first (outer) one, for each of them that needs replacing. The others come with an extra bracket part that doesn't actually need to be replaced. Read more here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
Just want to let those people who may be wanting to do this in the future, the old inner stabilizers can simply be popped out and the new ones (technically outer) just popped in. So if you want all new ones for your front windows, you only need to order 8 of these
Outer Stabilizer Part # 62310PA000
and none of the inner stabilizers... I can add pics when I get to it to show what I'm talking about

It will save you about $15 if ordering from one of the online dealers if I remember correctly.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 10-24-2012, 10:36 PM

Registered SVX

Here are a few pictures with the pads removed. Remove the inner pads first and then the window can be pulled inwards, or removed entirely (recommended) to reach the other ones.

What I ended up doing was removing the inner pads the outer pads, the window, and the outer weatherstrip that runs along the door. And replacing the pads and the worn outer weatherstrip.

It is all very easy to remove, and removing everything allows you to clean all the dust and dirt off of the parts and the window, and there will be a lot. It has to be done or the problem will just come back.

Pads and outer weatherstrip removed.

photo 3 by dbarnblatt, on Flickr

New pads and weatherstrip installed and everything cleaned up and ready to go:

SVX Window by dbarnblatt, on Flickr
Old 10-25-2012, 03:39 PM
- Bad Wolf -

Registered SVX

Nice photos. That helps.

Still, the design is poor. Let me restate that.

I think we can do better.

-Mike O

Last edited by injuhneer; 10-26-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:46 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Some soft rubber rollers might be better.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:07 AM
- Bad Wolf -

Registered SVX

I'll add some photos to illustrate my fix but after studying the lift and these blocks it became apparent that dirt was only one problem. All factors considered the main culprit is the small contact area. All of the pressure to guide the glass rests at the pad contact point and the lift rails. Add the compression of the cloth cover and dirt to the equation and you get an abrasive pad. The pad face is under pressure and cannot clear debris like it should because the fibers are compressed.

The goal was to stop abrading the window. To correct this a wider contact area is needed. I have two possible long term fixes for the interior pads:

A) machine new pads from nylon or acetal that are much longer and a bit thinner. The surface area will be larger to give more bearing and less crush to the pile on the face.
B) use the existing brackets and string a tube or channel between them and install the pile seal across the entire span.

If the interior pads don't clean up nicely (I used the same brass wire suede brush I use on the interior to clean the pads) there is a nice fix I picked up from a friend. Clean the old cloth/pile off the nylon pad and wrap the loop (soft) part of some Velcro around it and reinstall. It is nylon and will last a good long time.

Velcro loop wrapped pad

For the exterior the pads were removed entirely. The trim was removed and cleaned. A pile seal (brush) was added just below the factory wiper on the bare metal and runs the entire length of the windows. A second strip was added behind the factory felt wiper for a bit more pressure. The contact of the brush holds the window stable without the pile being completely crushed. This should allow the pile seal to support the window but still allow debris to clear; this rather than the pads which became compacted.

Pile seal installed on trim

It certainly works in testing. The long term obviously will take time but it is a start.

-Mike O

Last edited by injuhneer; 10-31-2012 at 01:19 PM. Reason: IMG doesn't work with redirects.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:04 PM
- Bad Wolf -

Registered SVX

So I completed the same mod on the right hand side.

I noticed a light scratch on the right rear window? Did Subaru use the same pad back there?

-Mike O
Old 10-29-2012, 05:52 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by injuhneer View Post
So I completed the same mod on the right hand side.

I noticed a light scratch on the right rear window? Did Subaru use the same pad back there?

-Mike O
The same type of pads are used on the rear windows as well.

Do you have a source for the brush pile seal you used? I think you may have found a solution!
Old 10-29-2012, 06:15 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Very cool, if it works well. Do check back in and let us know how it goes after a few months. Is the pile seal attached to the window weatherstripping? Kind of difficult to see from the pics.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 10-29-2012, 07:51 PM
- Bad Wolf -

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnblatt View Post
The same type of pads are used on the rear windows as well.

Do you have a source for the brush pile seal you used? I think you may have found a solution!
Yes. It is called fenestration seal or pile seal.

You can get yards of the stuff from ACE Hardware for just a few bucks. One package will do all the windows.

-Mike O
Old 10-29-2012, 07:53 PM
- Bad Wolf -

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Very cool, if it works well. Do check back in and let us know how it goes after a few months. Is the pile seal attached to the window weatherstripping? Kind of difficult to see from the pics.
Yes. I took the strip out and cleaned it (soap, water, scrub rinse, let dry in the sun). That leaves a nice clean aluminum surface for the seal.

The seal is adhesive backed pile seal from ACE hardware. It is for sliding doors and windows so it should handle the weathering.

Cost me about $4 for 17ft.

The only additional step is to adjust the window track alignment so the glass contacts the upper seal correctly.

Oh, and I also rolled up a couple of short pieces of the pile and put it in the back of the sliding door lock knob. The felt tape was completely disintegrated and the knobs rattled in their tracks. Not any more :-) I suppose some of the Velcor loop tape would work as well.

-Mike O

Last edited by injuhneer; 10-30-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:00 AM
- Bad Wolf -

Registered SVX

So I repeated the procedure on the passenger door. Works great.

On to the rear windows! I need to take all the panels out anyway to replace the blown/disintegrated 6x9s.

-Mike O