Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-22-2011, 08:31 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Stripping off old paint

Anyone have suggestions on stripping the old paint of of rims to prep them for painting? I was thinking of using a variety of wire brushes and the 3M Drill Mount Paint & Rust Stripper.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 07-22-2011, 08:56 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Stripping off old paint

I stripped stock rims with Tal-Strip II Aircraft Coating Remover. It is amazing stuff, I sprayed it on and let it sit for a few minutes then just scraped it off with a piece of cardboard. Most came off with the 1st coat. No sanding or tools required, takes the paint off down to the metal and leaves you with a shiny aluminum wheel. I was amazed at how easy it was.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-3711-Mar-Hy.../dp/B000GTILYW
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 07-22-2011, 11:04 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Yea, aircraft coating remover is some serious stuff. Don't get it on anything you don't want annihilated.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 07-23-2011, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

I agree.

This remover is some really serious stuff. Use with plenty of ventilation and rubber gloves are a must. It will eat through just about any paint.

The stuff I use is HERE.

Getting it in either a quart or gallon container and brushing it on offers more control and less waste. Made by the same company and is available HERE

I have found it in WalMart and Autozone also

A true horror story about my first introduction to this stuff about 30 years ago.

One of the women who lived in my apartment complex had a 78 corvette. She must have really p1ssed somebody off, because she knocked on my door early one morning and asked for my help.

She was going to work and when she went out to her car, someone had opened a gallon can of this remover, laid it on its side on her roof and walked away sometime during the night. Once I saw the car, I knew it was all over

Totally destroyed her paint. You couldn't wipe it off or even use a hose without doing more damage.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 07-23-2011 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:19 AM
work in progress

Send a message via AIM to LastSVXintheChi
Registered SVX

i was thinking about painting my rims too...

do you have to strip them? and do you have to take the tires off to paint and/or strip them? or can you leave them on? cus i only have 1 set of wheels

1992 dark teal SVX LS
Old 07-23-2011, 11:58 AM

Registered SVX

for some reason you cant buy the stuff in canada.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:55 PM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastSVXintheChi View Post
i was thinking about painting my rims too...

do you have to strip them? and do you have to take the tires off to paint and/or strip them? or can you leave them on? cus i only have 1 set of wheels
Is your paint bubbling at all on the wheels, if it is I would strip them. If not you can sand them and repaint them. You can paint them with the tires on, it just makes it harder, because you have to spend time masking them off.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 07-23-2011, 01:23 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

If you're planning on stripping them with the aircraft remover, I would take the tires off, because I'm sure that a little bit of that stuff on a tire would be bad news. If you're just sanding them then I'd leave the tires on. But if you were to take the tires off, you could have them powdercoated, which might hold up better than paint.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 07-23-2011, 09:22 PM
work in progress

Send a message via AIM to LastSVXintheChi
Registered SVX

Only 1 of them is real bad it looks like it has acne its pretty bad but the other 3 dont seem to bad...i was gonna paint cus it is cheeper and I can do that myself

What would I use to sand them with regular sand paper?

1992 dark teal SVX LS
Old 07-23-2011, 11:17 PM

Guys, I don't want to scare anyone, but "Aircraft Remover" and other solvents are EXTREMELY toxic. I'd advise anyone to look up the Manufacturer's Safety Data Sheet on aircraft remover or any other stripper you might be planning to use and ask yourself if it's worth the risk, or at least be sure you take every precaution including a respirator AND gloves.

I'm facing some fairly serious health challenges (I'm 43) now after a lifetime of solvent and paint use (not abuse) in my hobbies starting with model glue when I was about 5. Toluene is another under-rated toxin found in a lot of this stuff. Just because you can buy this stuff off the shelf at Wal-Mart doesn't mean it's safe to use casually, and nerve and brain cells don't grow back.

davew833@yahoo.com

Former 6-time SVX owner
Old 07-24-2011, 07:33 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew833 View Post
Guys, I don't want to scare anyone, but "Aircraft Remover" and other solvents are EXTREMELY toxic. I'd advise anyone to look up the Manufacturer's Safety Data Sheet on aircraft remover or any other stripper you might be planning to use and ask yourself if it's worth the risk, or at least be sure you take every precaution including a respirator AND gloves.

I'm facing some fairly serious health challenges (I'm 43) now after a lifetime of solvent and paint use (not abuse) in my hobbies starting with model glue when I was about 5. Toluene is another under-rated toxin found in a lot of this stuff. Just because you can buy this stuff off the shelf at Wal-Mart doesn't mean it's safe to use casually, and nerve and brain cells don't grow back.
Good advice. I was going to stick with mechanical means unless it just isn't working out. I won't even spread weed killer on my lawn. There is no sense adding more toxins into your system than already get in.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
Old 07-31-2011, 11:44 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean486 View Post
Is your paint bubbling at all on the wheels, if it is I would strip them. If not you can sand them and repaint them. You can paint them with the tires on, it just makes it harder, because you have to spend time masking them off.
I did wheel 1 yesterday with the 3M product and some wire brush wheels. Based on how long it took, I think the original powdercoat is still pretty well bonded to the base metal. By the time I got down to the base metal I began to realize that the base metal is not very smooth. It looks like there are ripples from the casting process. It is going to take a lot of paint to fill in and smooth out those ripples. I think I will go with the sanding process on the next rim and see how that goes.

Can anyone suggest a primer to help fill in those ripples prior to painting?

Old 07-31-2011, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Tony,

In the past I have used the following:

If I am down to bare metal, I always start with a light coat of SELF-ETCHING PRIMER

To hide surface imperfections you can then follow with FILLER PRIMER

And if you're as anal as I am, finish off with a coat of SEALER PRIMER, prior to your paint coat.

When the lettering in my center caps were filled with epoxy and sanded, it was the filler primer and primer sealer that got rid of every imperfection and edge. Followed by automotive lacquer and clearcoat.

Ten years ago and still perfect.

First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

Old 07-31-2011, 01:14 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
I did wheel 1 yesterday with the 3M product and some wire brush wheels. Based on how long it took, I think the original powdercoat is still pretty well bonded to the base metal. By the time I got down to the base metal I began to realize that the base metal is not very smooth. It looks like there are ripples from the casting process. It is going to take a lot of paint to fill in and smooth out those ripples. I think I will go with the sanding process on the next rim and see how that goes.

Can anyone suggest a primer to help fill in those ripples prior to painting?
Is there a reason why you wouldn't simply have them powdercoated? Around here based on other things I've done you'd be looking at $200 or so. Since the wheels themselves get quite warm I wouldn't use any fillers that aren't rated for at least 200 degrees.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

You can probably get a single stage powdercoating for that price. The problem with metallics is that the metallic particles melt and settle during the baking process. On silver wheels, the sparkle seems to disappear and the wheels come out more of a gray.

This happened to the refinished RX-8 wheels on Mike 621's claret. They were powder coated gold, but in the baking the metallic disappeared and he was left with a shiny "peanut butter" look (affectionately known as the "Peter Pan Edition")

On my wheels, I had the factory color duplicated in lacquer and sprayed. Everything was sealed under a thick clear powdercoat, to give the shine and preserve the sparkle.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gold RX8.jpg (149.6 KB, 930 views)
File Type: jpg Wheels_3.jpg (70.1 KB, 584 views)

Last edited by svxcess; 07-31-2011 at 03:07 PM.