Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-12-2011, 07:58 PM
The Molinator

Exclamation AT Shift Adjustment .. . HELP!?

I give Up (almost) .. . I've tried different cable adjustment positions.. AND inhibitor switch adjustments.. BUT, I never can get the shift lever positions to line up, the Shifter to come outta Park, and to start in Neutral.. ALL TO WORK!

I thot it would be solved by a new inhibitor switch.. but installed last night.. and still cant adjust for all functions to work! So far, even tho I have more dash lights that work to indicate shift positions (1, 2, 3, D, N, R, P) .. actually D and N still dont light up.. and most importantly IT WON'T START IN NEUTRAL! [If I pull the shifter back, the N lights up on the dash, and it can start. BUT, the inhibitor switch is adjusted all the way .. and wont work without adjusting shift lever cable adjustment. BUT, when thats done, something else whacks out! .. like the Shifter won't come out of PARK! [after depressing brake] .. . YIKES !

Does anyone know a trick.. or special technique.. or sequence for adjusting the shift mechanism to fix my dilemna.. ???

The only way I can see this changing to work.. is to adjust the actual metal shift lever on the passenger side of AT at the inhibitor switch position.. so the shift lever which moves the inh sw would be in a different position .. to make the inh sw more adjustable!

Thanks..
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!

Last edited by James Scott; 07-12-2011 at 08:02 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:28 PM
The Molinator

Re: AT Shift Adjustment .. . HELP!?

COPIED FROM RELATED THREAD:
Re: Won't start in Neutral.. ???
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname
If the nut holding your external shift arm onto the shaft was rusted on it's possible someone bent the detent arm inside of the transmisison while taking off that nut outside of the transmisison.

If this is the case you have to remove the pan, remove the valve body, unbolt the linkage on the inside, drive the pin through the dentent arm, pull the control shaft out, and then do the reverse with a new detent arm.
I've been thinking about this alot.. I even started a new thread about the specific topic you brought up here yesterday.. out of my long-term frustration! I think that YOUR POINT is about the only explanation for my situation! I can never get it totally adjusted.. cuz the Inhibitor switch wont adjust enough to get N to start!

The only other question I have is.. How can I get four or five of the dash lights to line up.. and be in proper gears? ..AND start in Park? .. BUT NOT START IN NEUTRAL.. and one or two dash lights dont line up??? IT SEEMS LIKE THE ENTIRE SYSTEM, ESPECIALLY LIGHTS AND BOTH START POSITIONS (N & P) SHOULD ALL WORK, IF 2. 3, 4 OR MORE (1, 2, 3, D, N, R, P) LINE UP AND WORK (LIGHTS or START)! [BTW, REVERSE BACKUP LIGHT CIRCUIT ALWAYS SEEMS TO WORK (although I haven't checked it most of the times I've adjusted the linkage?)]

With the New Inhibiter Switch?!

Maybe the bend you suggest (which makes alotta sense!) would still explain this erratic synch (in-line for some, not for others).. I TINK I'LL JUST TAKE THE CABLE OFF THE LEVER .. AND TORQUE THE NUT UNTIL IT BENDS BACK A LITTLE (clockwise)! Then, if it breaks, I'll have to do wat u said, but otherwise I reely dont wanna do all you say.. sounds involved..and may not solve problem cuz what I said here (why is some NOT aligned when some or most IS?).. .

Thanks..

P.S. My thot that the lever was tightened on too counterclockwise (and more sensibly, your idea that the detent arm was bent.. resulting in that too counterclockwise position!) is no doubt in play here.. Cuz the Neutral position alignment check (OEM manual) of the hole in the lever aligning with the dent in the Inhibiter Switch.. DOES NOT ALIGN PROPERLY.. NOT STRAIGHT,, NEEDS MORE COUNTERCLOCKWISE ADJUSTMENT OF THE INH SW, CUZ THE LEVER IS TOO FAR COUNTERCLOCKWISE. HEH! I'VE GOT IT! .. Widen (3/16" to 1/4") the mounting/adjustment slots in the inh sw .. so it can be adjusted!!! .. ???
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)

Last edited by James Scott; 07-13-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:53 PM

WOW!! you are having fun, just reading your post was making me dizzy, I did a simular job after my 444 swap and I feel your frustration, I needed the wife in the car while I was underneath to coordinate my adjusting with the dash lights, I was just barely able to get it to the correct spot so P and N started! If It was me I'd go for increasing the adjustment span one way or another,as you mentioned. The brake and getting it outa park is a different system, as you probly know? Keep at it you'll win this,........................G
94legacywagon"whinny"
84Brat"huey"
92svx"samantha".pearl
92svx"sabastian"4.44 silver
92svx"sabrina".ebony
05legacy gt limited "Moon" blue.
06 Subaru legacy gt limited.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:23 PM
The Molinator

Thanks for the encouragement.. I certainly dont understand all of the safety systems, including pushing the brake (I dont know where or how it works, although I know you hafta push the brake to be able to get outta PARK [AND, gotta have key ON]).. BUT, I DO know that at certain mechanical cable shift adjustment positions (that I tried before).. THE BRAKE WONT ALLOW THE SHIFTER OUTTA PARK! In other words, all shift positions would "work", but the above would happen! I guess the inability to come outta PARK in that situation was predicated on a different Shift Knob position!?

I'm gonna see if my idea is possible ..(will I ruin the Inh Sw [will it open the body to the inside of the switch]?, can I turn it far enough without the body of the Inh Sw hitting something to block the excessive movement?, will the different axes of rotation between the shift lever and the Inh Sw not allow for all contact positions to connect in this distorted position?, Etc.).. . ???

Thanks..
Old 07-18-2011, 03:10 PM
The Molinator

IT WORKED!

Lengthening the adjustment slots on the three supporting/adjusting bolt holes on the Inhibiter Switch to get all dash lights (except D - guess the dash bulb is burnt), Back-Up Light on in Reverse .. WORKED! .. AND STARTS IN BOTH PARK AND NEUTRAL! YEAH!

Only problem now with shifting is first gear doesn't engage unless I pull the shifter back from first about 1/8" to engage gear 1. I can push back into 1 .. then it works.. but obviously something is not quite right (?). I think i can adjust cable to get 1st gear to work, but then PARK won't work right! When I lengthen the cable, so it shifts into 1 at 1 position, then PARK won't release even when brake is pushed! DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW THAT PARK/BRAKE RELEASE SYSTEM WORKS? IS IT ADJUSTABLE AT ALL IN THE IN-CAR SHIFTER MECHANISM?

Thanks..