How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-25-2011, 06:26 PM
The Molinator

Power Steering - Hard-To-Turn!

I started experiencing difficulty turning the steering wheel either way.. especially when idling (like PARKING!) about one year ago. I was getting belt squeeling too.. SO, I just tightened the belt several times. I replaced the pump with a reman about 6 mos ago cuz it continued, but hardly any change. I thot it must need a rack/pinion replacement, but the cost (SubaruParts.com $680, Pep Boys reman $330) dint thrill me. The local good mechanic (Radio Shop Talk Show - Fresno KMJ 580 AM Saturday morns) wanted $350 labor.

It was working tolerably until the cold weather hit about 2 months ago. Then, the squeeling, which had subsided, began to come back.. AND "the steering wheel locking up" got MUCH worse! When parking, it has been difficult to get out especially.. after the steering gear gets cold and the whole mechanism works much more sluggishly at first.

The steering works fine while driving above 10-20 mph (engine RPM range). But, stop for a turn, or try to turn sharply while stopped or moving slowly.. and it gets ScArY!

QUESTIONS:

1) I doubt that I got a bad reman pump, right?
2) Shud I buy the rack/pinion reman, put in myself for $330. It'll need alignment too. Do I need mounts
(Adaptors - $13 x2) since the stuff is so old?
3) Shud I pop for about $700 to have the hot-shot mechanic install reman?
4) Can I count on certain parts wearing out that I cud replace, like "Repair Kit - gear box output shaft" (SubaruParts.com) for $52 (apparently rack seals + ??).. and attempt repair that route.. ?
5) I shud replace the Tie-Rod Ends for $42 each, right?
6) HELP!.. . ???

Thanks for your input, Jim
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!

Last edited by James Scott; 01-25-2011 at 06:32 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:49 PM
Hi Mr. Penguin!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Power Steering - Hard-To-Turn!

You can get a good used rack for $100-$200 from places like F and S auto (http://fsautoparts.com) in Connecticut (they specialize in Subaru) and there is even a used rack from a 94 on eBay right now for cheap money:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subar...Q5fAccessories

You could also try for more local used parts on car-part.com. Resealing the rack is a lot of labor on top of the charge for taking it out/putting it back in, but might be the best option other than a new or reman rack.

Could just be the steering u-joint needs to be greased up like crazy- my 96 Impreza OBS had a VERY heavy steering wheel when slow, and lubing up the u-joint worked a treat.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:01 PM
The Molinator

When I posted this months ago.. I got a comment like yours about the steering u-joint! It doesn't seem like that wud be it, but I'll give another squirt of WD-40 on the u-joint to see if there's any difference. Remember, it's squeeling more (a little) now too.. indicating that it's the fluid flow system (pump + rack/pinion) involved.. right?

Thanks, Jim
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Old 01-25-2011, 07:11 PM
Hi Mr. Penguin!

Registered SVX

Could just be the belt is too tight or too loose or there is air in the system too though- the PS fluid should foam up if it was air though. Does it look at all foamy when this happens?

As for the u-joint, go with something heavier than WD-40- it's purpose is really only as a water displacer instead of a long-term lubricant. If you have some white lithium grease, that'd be great, as would bearing grease. If nothing else, gear oil would be good too. Lube the snot out of it, put the front end of the car on stands, and turn the wheel back and forth from lock to lock a whole bunch and see if it frees up any.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:32 PM

Registered SVX

What type of fluid are you using?
Old 01-25-2011, 07:53 PM
The Molinator

Redline D4-ATF which now has LUCAS Power Steering additive (2 bottles)..
The Lucas smoothed out the overall action, but still "locks up" .. esp at low RPM [It is very high viscosity.. tricky to even get in reservoir].

Had the D4-ATF left over from AT use earlier.. shud be as good as it gets, right?.. . [but of course, too expensive!].

Am I missing anything here??? Anything obvious.. . ?

Thanks, Jim
Old 01-25-2011, 09:27 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Yes, you could have a bad O-Ring that is allowing air to be sucked into the system. Go to the How To section and look at the steering section and follow the directions to replace this dollar part. If that doesn't work, then look at other things, but this could be the problem. Good luck.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 01-26-2011, 07:53 PM
The Molinator

Nice How-To.. But what is the problem if the O-Ring is imperfect? Sucks Air? I know I put some kind of O-Ring there when I put the reman pump on about 6 months ago. I haven't noticed any frothing of PS fluid (?). Shud I still replace.. even if no apparent foaming.. or air in reservoir??

I thot at first.. you were talking about an O-Ring in the rack/pinion. Hmmm?

I dont see how it cud be universal joint on steering column either.. since it operates well when warmed up.. ?

Thanks, Jim
Old 01-26-2011, 08:14 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Scott View Post
Nice How-To.. But what is the problem if the O-Ring is imperfect? Sucks Air? I know I put some kind of O-Ring there when I put the reman pump on about 6 months ago. I haven't noticed any frothing of PS fluid (?). Shud I still replace.. even if no apparent foaming.. or air in reservoir??

I thot at first.. you were talking about an O-Ring in the rack/pinion. Hmmm?

I dont see how it cud be universal joint on steering column either.. since it operates well when warmed up.. ?

Thanks, Jim
Could it be contamination in the system that gets thick when cold and thins out when warm so that the fluid can flow and the pressure can build up?

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 01-27-2011, 12:33 PM
The Molinator

I'm not sure WHAT contamination you're referring to.. ? But it definitely works a couple hundred percent better when warm.. ??

The Lucas PS additive is super viscous.. very high viscosity.. ! It's supposed to seal leaks.. AND help with jerky action?? I assume it works for someone.. so the viscosity must not be a definite problem itself. After warmed up, the system works great above 5 or 10 mph! Sometimes good when parking also, but not always.. ???

Hasn't anyone had issues with their Rack and Pinion? Hasn't anyone replaced .. or rebuilt their Rack and Pinion?? I don't see anything in the How-To's or ??? Hmmm?

I sure wish it were the little O-Ring! I even have a professional O-Ring kit I got somewhere on sale.. . and I have that 15mm OD/11mm ID/2mm thickness O-Ring. I guess I'll just have to eliminate that possibilty.. even tho I don't see foaming or frothing in the reservoir. Wouldn't I get more air sucking after warmup.. and therefore more problems with the PS when the car is warm? Just opposite of what I'm experiencing.. .

Thanks to you all, Jim

Last edited by James Scott; 01-27-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:23 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

If you want to check out the universal joint, jack up the front end, both front wheels off of the ground.
Slowly turn the wheel and see if it gets tighter, and looser as you turn.
You can do this with the engine off.
If it does, note when it happens.
If it is evenly spaced, at about 90° phases, then you should suspect your steering U-Joint.
If you are under the non-running car, and turn the steering column, you can see how the U-Joint relates to the binding, if there is binding.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 01-28-2011, 08:03 AM

You describe the U-joint problem perfectly, I know as I have the problem. Only problem is you can't get one from Subaru Parts, they tell me none exist!!! If anyone has one (used or new) or knows where to get one, I'm in desperate need as perhaps James Scott will be too.
Stainless steel brake lines
K&N filter, custom front grill
H.I.D low beams 5000k 35w, H.I.D fog/driving 4500k 35w
Clear front and corner lens
Old 01-28-2011, 08:12 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Will this potentially cause a knocking to rattling noise over bumps as well?

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 01-28-2011, 08:19 AM
There's a storm coming.

#34160PA010
I tried to call my local Subaru garage and got the answering machine.(Again)
1stsubaruparts.com
UNIVERSAL JOINT AY [Part# 34160PA010] Quantity:

Subaru
Price:$225.82
List Price:$225.82
Your Price:$162.59 plus shipping

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 01-28-2011, 08:23 AM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
Will this potentially cause a knocking to rattling noise over bumps as well?
Not usually.
When they go bad they usually get too tight.
For knocking ratteling over bumps check the anti-sway bar links, anti-sway bar bushings, drivers side anti-sway bar bolt on arm bolt, ball joints, and lower control arm bushings.
Go now, lay in the snow, it will be fun!

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link