IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-20-2011, 11:42 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Transmission care

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoobCrazy View Post
I would much prefer an flashable OEM ECU to a TCU upgrade on my 1996. Let the autos die!
If the automatic SVXi are allowed to die, what percentage of SVX owner will replace the transmission with a five or six speed?
Since the five speed costs the average SVX owner about $2500.00 and the six speed maybe $4000.00?
Now go to your room and THINK about what you have said.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 01-20-2011, 11:50 AM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
I'm surprised no one mentioned bypassing the radiator with a higher flow oil cooler. I bought, but have not yet installed, a 10,000 GVW flex-a-lite cooler which has a pretty small footprint and a low flow resistance.
Yes, this is a great idea to replace the stock in radiator transmission cooler with SOMETHING.
The size of the cooler should be determined by your transmission temperature.
If you install too big of a cooler your trans will never have lock up.

As to replacing the pan filter I personally am in favor of it for several reasons.
1)First of all they are like $30.00.
2)When the pan is removed you can check and remove the accumulated debris on the magnet.
3)By dropping the black cross flow tube you get about two more quarts out of the transmission.
4)When I replace transmissions I am REQUIRED by the transmission vendor to replace the filter on a used unit or there is no guaranty!
5)It couldn't hurt.

Geez, another engineer.

Husky, I have mentioned it in another thread!
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56310

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link

Last edited by svxfiles; 01-20-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:42 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input

Sure, can't hurt as long as the person doing it owns a torque wrench and also invests in a new oe gasket so they aren't just creating leaks or a huge mess for the next go around. We all know how much we love taking a pan off someone has installed with that pink stuff.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:54 PM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname View Post
Sure, can't hurt as long as the person doing it owns a torque wrench and also invests in a new oe gasket so they aren't just creating leaks or a huge mess for the next go around. We all know how much we love taking a pan off someone has installed with that pink stuff.

The pink stuff,
the taker of life,
the scourge of the pan!!!!!

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 01-20-2011, 03:55 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Ugh, kind of a pain dealing with these line by line quotes....so I won't use them

so anyway....You're saying that someone had a loss of line pressure....changed his screen...and got his line pressure again? I find this hard to believe. If that is the case please say so directly. A picture where someone says he thought his filter was dirty doesn't do much for me.

If you really want to argue that tampering with the electrical connections is a better method of controling line pressure than setting the data right in the TCU firmware I'll just have to aggree to dissagree with you right now and not waste any more time.
I don't want to cause you any pain.

"If that is the case please say so directly." Yes that was the case.

I don't want to waste your valuable time either, but.

Quote:
If you really want to argue that tampering with the electrical connections is a better method of controling line pressure than setting the data right in the TCU firmware I'll just have to aggree to dissagree with you right now and not waste any more time
No I didn't say it was a better method. I said it was cheaper.

Tampering with either the electronics, or tampering with the vearables, will produce the same results.
The only difference is the cost. $20.00 compared to $xxx.xx.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:19 PM
Just some dude.

Well in that particular document you linked to and are sighting as a replacing the filter brought line pressure back instance he went from a long filter to a short filter so maybe his pan was dented--that causes a loss of line pressure. Anyway, a clogged filter is so contrary to everything I have seen I would have to suspect some sort of unaccounted for coincidence that was the true reason for a return of line pressure after a filter change if it did in fact happen.

I wired my air compressor into the 240 outlet for the the dryer the other day. I went to dry some clothes later the same day and the dryer didn't work. I figured I must have messed up a connection--too much of a coincidence for the dryer to break the same day. I checked the outlet poles with a multi-meter and they were all good but man it was just too much of a coincidence to accept the dryer broke at the same time--maybe a connection isn't tight enough so it has voltage but the dryer can't draw enough current. I took the outlet apart and retightened all the connections but the dryer still didn't work. To make a long story only medium long I did finally open up the dryer and find the switch that turns the dryer off when you open the door was bad. Not having a switch on hand and not caring if the dryer turns off I popped a crimp cap in place of the switch and my dyer works.

Moral of the story is coincidences do happen and it will take more than one reported case of changing a filter restoring line pressure to convince me the screens clog. That's just me though. Others will of course make up their own minds.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:32 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Yes I am sure they will.

Harvey.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:33 PM
Just some dude.

Tampering with the wiring is a long way away from changing the map that dictates what line pressure is in a particular gear. For one, tampering with the wiring effects line pressure at all times which according to your earlier statements must make you worry dreadfully about transfer clutch binding and what not. For two, when the line pressure is changed by tampering with the wiring the TCU does not know about it and can not take it into account in other routines like it can if the map is changed and a different solenoid a duty ratio is calculated. For three, tampering with the wiring defeats or partially defeats the signal/system which cushions the solenoid valve from fully seating and causing wear to the valve which will in the long run cause a loss of line pressure.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:14 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Tampering with the wiring is a long way away from changing the map that dictates what line pressure is in a particular gear. For one, tampering with the wiring effects line pressure at all times which according to your earlier statements must make you worry dreadfully about transfer clutch binding and what not. For two, when the line pressure is changed by tampering with the wiring the TCU does not know about it and can not take it into account in other routines like it can if the map is changed and a different solenoid a duty ratio is calculated. For three, tampering with the wiring defeats or partially defeats the signal/system which cushions the solenoid valve from fully seating and causing wear to the valve which will in the long run cause a loss of line pressure.
Hope you don't mind, but I will have to divide this into 3 sections.

Quote:
For one, tampering with the wiring effects line pressure at all times which according to your earlier statements must make you worry dreadfully about transfer clutch binding and what not.
No, increasing the dropping resistors Resistance to 25 ohms does increase the overall line pressure by about 30%, this leaves the TCU to vary the line pressure, with throttle position.
Doing a flat increase of 50psi to 150psi, a 300% increase, inhibits the throttle position from controlling the pressure at all, in 3rd or 4th.

Quote:
For two, when the line pressure is changed by tampering with the wiring the TCU does not know about it and can not take it into account in other routines like it can if the map is changed and a different solenoid a duty ratio is calculated.
The TCU won't know if either type of tampering has been done. It works the throttle position control of the pressure, assuming that the specified amount of current is sent to the A solenoid. Changing the resistance alters the result.
Changing the specified variable number, that the program is looking-up, alters the result. The TCU does not know, that you have tampered with this specified variable, it just uses that number to produce the pressure.

Quote:
For three, tampering with the wiring defeats or partially defeats the signal/system which cushions the solenoid valve from fully seating and causing wear to the valve which will in the long run cause a loss of line pressure
Oh I can't believe you have written this crap. This is the same bull $hit that Trevor tried to infect us with. Shows a complete lack of understanding of the transmissions mechanical operation.

Harvey.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:48 PM
Just some dude.

Very little of what you just said is correct but I don't intend to get drawn into a harvey/trevor dynamic so I'm going to drop it now.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:05 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Damn it, you BOTH are wrong! It works by focking magic!!!

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 01-20-2011, 06:16 PM
Phil & Belha

With the greatest of respect Harvey, your method of tampering with the wiring will never produce a result comparable to a proper TCU remap.

The TCU uses a very complex algorithm to determine the optimum line pressure to suit a whole variety of driving conditions. It is not simply proportional to the throttle position.

I am in full agreement with LAN here. The transmission is a relatively modern software-controlled system. The only correct way to recalibrate it is via remapping the TCU.

As Trevor cannot be here to defend what you call his bull$hit, I'm going to restate my conclusion that neither you nor Trevor have a complete understanding of how this system works.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 01-20-2011, 06:37 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha View Post
With the greatest of respect Harvey, your method of tampering with the wiring will never produce a result comparable to a proper TCU remap.

The TCU uses a very complex algorithm to determine the optimum line pressure to suit a whole variety of driving conditions. It is not simply proportional to the throttle position.

I am in full agreement with LAN here. The transmission is a relatively modern software-controlled system. The only correct way to recalibrate it is via remapping the TCU.

As Trevor cannot be here to defend what you call his bull$hit, I'm going to restate my conclusion that neither you nor Trevor have a complete understanding of how this system works.
I replaced the TCU with a flux capacitor. The car only goes when it is struck by lightning.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 01-20-2011, 09:00 PM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
I replaced the TCU with a flux capacitor. The car only goes when it is struck by lightning.
Can you write up a how to?
And is it switchable?

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 01-20-2011, 09:24 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX

Quote:
1.21 gigawatts!!!

Great Scott!

What the hell is a gigawatt!?

I have to say though that really, while a lot of the things in this thread are debated, one thing is clear: a transmission cooler that replaces the stock one is a 100% good idea.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi