Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > US Regional Forums > Northwest Region

Old 01-29-2009, 01:04 PM

Any good mechs in portland/willamette valley?

Seems like most mechs around here are clueless about the svx. Anybody know of any they'd recommend, especially anyone that can do the 4.44 swap? The parts are cheap and available I wonder how much the labor would cost. I'm bummed I'm already commited to a used svx tranny that cost $900!
Thanks!
Old 02-04-2009, 10:01 AM

Re: Any good mechs in portland/willamette valley?

no dice eh guys?

new tranny is already doing a thud thing occasionally going from 2nd to 3rd when i pussy foot it. Seems great when i get on it.

Hopefully it's fine or just needs a brake band adj. Otherwise i'm really going to need to find someone who can do the 4.44 swap.

Anybody? Somebody? Please? I PM'd hondasucks but haven't heard back. He's the only guy here that seems to be in Oregon.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:11 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Hondasucks will be your best bet for finding help with that. He seems to know his stuff. Maybe a few beers and a weekend or two ya might be able to get it done.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 02-04-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
Hondasucks will be your best bet for finding help with that. He seems to know his stuff. Maybe a few beers and a weekend or two ya might be able to get it done.
Ok that's kinda what I figured. Thanks man.

I will wait patiently to hear from Mr. Hondasucks.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:39 PM

Smile Re: Any good mechs in portland/willamette valley?

Hi,
Northwest Imports in Vancouver has performed all the service on my SVX without a single glitch. Several other SVXers in the area have also had the same success. They are professionals, and have reasonable rates. Subaru's are their specialty, especially as related to rallying. I have gone to them with questions specifically related to the SVX and have been pleased not only with their knowledge, but willingness to save me unneeded expense. Rare traits with most businesses, even rarer for auto mechanics.

Mark
Old 02-14-2009, 07:13 PM
Liv'n the hobo life

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVRXS View Post
Hi,
Northwest Imports in Vancouver has performed all the service on my SVX without a single glitch. Several other SVXers in the area have also had the same success. They are professionals, and have reasonable rates. Subaru's are their specialty, especially as related to rallying. I have gone to them with questions specifically related to the SVX and have been pleased not only with their knowledge, but willingness to save me unneeded expense. Rare traits with most businesses, even rarer for auto mechanics.

Mark
+1 for NW Imports. Steve (owner) and Dirk (manager I think) are awesome. I have been going there since my first car (subi hatch) and have taken 3 xts, 2 svxs, both my Nissans there for years. All my family goes there too. They do a great job and Steve has even gone out of his way to track down parts for me.

As far as a mod like 4.44s, the only place I trust besides NW Import is M&M auto in Vancouver (took my Dodge Daytona there after 3 places couldnt figure the issue out, and had it back same day running perfectly...was a cracked timing belt tensioner). They can be a bit spendy, but have done custom stuff for me in the past (they did my SVX's tranny cooler and trans gauge when NW imports preferred not too since it was an aftermarket thing)
01 Outback (DD)
89 XT-6 Newest Project
Representing Vancouver, WASHINGTON! woot!
My Locker
Old 02-15-2009, 09:42 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX

Thanks for the plug Only other shop I know up there is Superior Import Repair but you told me in a PM you had bad experiences there, and there is Mountain Tech in Oregon City, but I don't know anything about them really, I went in there a few times for parts for my 83 GL-10 but left empty-handed cuz they wanted way too much lol, but they've been there a long time.

As for down here, there is my work (John & Phil's Subaru), Crossroads Automotive (independent shop, but the owner is a Subaru/Toyota master tech) there is a Subaru dealer in Albany but they aren't that great service wise, great if you have a Dodge/Jeep but not so much for Subarus.

There is an independent in Eugene, can't remember the name but the owner's name is Gary Swindler and I've heard from more than one person that's he's a crook, but I've never had any direct interaction with him. The shop used to be called Subaroo Specialties but I think it's Gary's Subarus now but not 100% sure...
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta