Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Brake Upgrades

Old 10-28-2006, 08:28 PM
How fast is fast?

Send a message via AIM to Bxsvx
k staff has em maybe someone who has connects with them can get a set or so? http://www.k-staff.net/SVX-rifre/parts.htm
Old 10-28-2006, 08:46 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
I will stick to my guy... Kstaff wants over 2k for just the calipers Not to mention another 1500 for the rotors Unless my currency calculator is not working right

Tom
Old 10-28-2006, 10:50 PM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
I will stick to my guy... Kstaff wants over 2k for just the calipers Not to mention another 1500 for the rotors Unless my currency calculator is not working right

Tom
Go for it tom. I don't know if you ever saw me mention it, but there is an Impreza upgrade that actually uses our rotors redrilled. Food for thought. Check the dimensions.
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 10-28-2006, 11:28 PM
Maniac modifier

did some searching on Nasioc and found some info about how they were able to mount the 300zx calipers onto the imprezza chasis.. This makes me confident that I will be able to find a way to make the Brembos work... I can make adapter brackets as long as they are not too intriquate(sp? )

Tom
Old 10-31-2006, 01:07 PM
Maniac modifier

Ok, well while I am at the Junkyard on Friday I will be getting what I need to begin testing different brakes.. I am going to pull a front hub from an SVX and rear hub. I also want to try and find a 300zx to see if their 4pot calipers would be comatable with our cars... With a hub off the car I have the ability to test fit and take more accurate measurements of the calipers and rotors... Just wish me luck that I can find the parts I need

Tom
Old 10-31-2006, 03:39 PM

Registered SVX
Okay, good luck! Make some dreams come true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
Ok, well while I am at the Junkyard on Friday I will be getting what I need to begin testing different brakes.. I am going to pull a front hub from an SVX and rear hub. I also want to try and find a 300zx to see if their 4pot calipers would be comatable with our cars... With a hub off the car I have the ability to test fit and take more accurate measurements of the calipers and rotors... Just wish me luck that I can find the parts I need

Tom
http://www.ClassicSoftTrim.com http://ToyoTires.com/tire/pattern/versado-lx Gillman Subaru of Houston
"QuickChange" http://www.TransGo.com/ http://www.PlanetSVX.com Bontrager Works,

'92 Subaru SVX LS-L Claret ORIGINAL OWNER
'92 LS-L Pearl~ '92 LS Pearl~ '92 LS-L Teal~ '92 LS-L Silver~ '95 LSi Polo~
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Pearl~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54143
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Ebony~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54117
Old 10-31-2006, 03:40 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Luck @ U.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:09 PM

Registered SVX
Tom,

I've got a set of 300zx turbo calipers. These suit the 280mm diameter 30mm thick rotors.

They will not bolt on. I believe they can be adapted, with the use of an adaptor.

I still maintain, using the Subaru calipers, either 4 piston standard, or Brembo's is a better start...they at least bolt on, and then all you have to worry about is finding a suitable rotor.

The offer is there to bolt a set of 4 pots onto the SVX hub to give you an idea of disc diameter required?

Matt
Old 10-31-2006, 05:51 PM
Network Design Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynomatt
They will not bolt on. I believe they can be adapted, with the use of an adaptor.
Feeling a little redundant are we?
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:53 PM

Registered SVX
Round circles...

Old 10-31-2006, 05:54 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVX
Feeling a little redundant are we?
Haha, you know they can be adapted
without an adapter, right?

/ot

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:17 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
I talked to Todd today. We've come up with a few ideas, however a bunch more information is needed before he can even guess a price.

Option 1: adapting the WRX kit to work on the SVX. I need to know if the steering knuckle and hub are similar/the same between the two cars

Option 2: go from scratch, this can allow us some larger rotors an calipers, at a higher cost.

What I need to know:

How big do we want to go? Diameter, thickness, and swept area?
How much do we want to pay? we can put together kits from possibly as low as 1000$ (not much upgrade) to something like Dayles kit (2500$)

How similar is the SVX front brake setup compared to the WRXs? Are the steering spindles the same/similar?

Obviously using larger calipers/rotors will affect allowable wheels sizes. Todd says he can possibly make a stock wheel kit that uses a larger caliper and thicker rotor, but will fit under a 16 inch wheel. (if there is demand)

Get back to me with opinions on what you would personally want, pay for, like, etc.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 10-31-2006, 06:21 PM

Registered SVX
Option 1 - steering knuckles and hubs are "similar" but annoyingly different. You will struggle getting a WRX knuckle on the SVX for 2 reasons (not insurmountable), a) the ball joint on a ARX is larger, so the WRX knuckle would need a sleeve of some sort to adapt to the SVX ball joint, and the ball joints are not swappable. b) strut spacing, the SVX strut has 30mm spacing, the WRX has 25mm, so the WRX knuckle would require spacers on either side, or alternatively, use WRX complete corners.

As said above, the WRX 4 piston calipers bolt on fine. I can measure them tonight to tell you what size disc rotor you need. That's a bolt on solution if you can find a disc.

Option 2 - anything is possible.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:23 PM
Maniac modifier

im looking for something allong the lines of 30mm thickness with 300+mm diameter. The STi brembos would be a suitable replacement as I am not looking to drastically chnage my brakes, just looking to upgrade if I am replacing the calipers anyway...

Tom
Old 10-31-2006, 09:54 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynomatt
Option 1 - steering knuckles and hubs are "similar" but annoyingly different. You will struggle getting a WRX knuckle on the SVX for 2 reasons (not insurmountable), a) the ball joint on a ARX is larger, so the WRX knuckle would need a sleeve of some sort to adapt to the SVX ball joint, and the ball joints are not swappable. b) strut spacing, the SVX strut has 30mm spacing, the WRX has 25mm, so the WRX knuckle would require spacers on either side, or alternatively, use WRX complete corners.

As said above, the WRX 4 piston calipers bolt on fine. I can measure them tonight to tell you what size disc rotor you need. That's a bolt on solution if you can find a disc.

Option 2 - anything is possible.
That would be good if you would measure the size of the disc that would fit the WRX calipers on our hubs. Then we will know what to look for in a disc.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.