Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-06-2004, 01:18 AM
Only SVX @ UCF (Cool!)

Send a message via AIM to svxjoe
Rotor Reccomendations

I'm looking to buy new rotors for the front and the back.

Mike, a long time ago, suggested Raceconcepts.net for good replacement rotors of the stock ones.

Also what's better: Slotted, Cross-Drilled, Dimpled, or a combination of these?

Facts: I have 18 x 7.5 wheels

I currently have the stock rotors and they warp At LEAST once a year to the point I can't take the shaking anymore when I brake. I did have them turned/machined twice before (over a period 2.5 years) after considerable amounts of time of the shaking and pulsating in the steering wheel/brake pedals. The right rear rotor is so badly warped, that the last time I got them machined Subaru told me they couldn't machine it.

So I am now looking for the quietest (No squeaking or squealing), anti-warping rotors I can find and that soemone else has experienced and can say they are absolutely pleased with.

Thank you.

"One day, when I'm all grown up..."

Last edited by svxjoe; 04-06-2004 at 01:23 AM.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:20 AM
Only SVX @ UCF (Cool!)

Rotor Reccomendations

I'm looking to buy new rotors for the front and the back.

Mike, a long time ago, suggested Raceconcepts.net for good replacement rotors of the stock ones.

Facts: I have 18 x 7.5 wheels

I currently have the stock rotors and they warp At LEAST once a year to the point I can't take the shaking anymore when I brake. I did have them turned/machined twice before (over a period 2.5 years) after considerable amounts of time of the shaking and pulsating in the brake pedals. The right rear rotor is so badly warped, that the last time I got them machined Subaru told me they couldn't machine it.

So I am now looking for the quietest (No squeaking or squealing), anti-warping rotors I can find and that soemone else has experienced and can say they are absolutely pleased with.

Thank you.

Old 04-06-2004, 10:48 AM
Grand Poo-Bah

Send a message via AIM to halistan Send a message via MSN to halistan Send a message via Yahoo to halistan
Registered SVX
Talking raceconcepts is good

I got some cross-drilled rotors (front and back) from there and i love them. They stop a hell of a lot better than stock. Kuo (another SVXer here in KC) got the slotted and for stopping they seem to work about the same as mine but they are loud when they stop. The make a shhh shhh shhh noise which i don't like. Some people swear by slotted though.

From the way i understand it, slotted is more for racing as it cuts into the pad to create more stopping power and is supposed to be the best. Cross-drilled is supposed to be better for daily driving and heat dissipation so thats what i got and i'm quite pleased with them. There are pics in my locker if you want to see what mine look like. They are about 10 months old in those pics.

~Ray
All new and improved custom built engine with forged internals, lowered compression, upgraded cams and a stage III supercharger. AMR Engineering struts, Custom exhaust --All 3 Subaru cats removed, and replaced with 2 high flow mustang cats-- Cross-drilled & Slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, bypassed stock Tranny cooler replaced with aftermarket B&M super-cooler, and a K&N drop in air filter.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:50 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I have sloted and zinc coated. I like those because the cooling fins in the disk do not rust up. Thee was a problem with x-holes cracking.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:36 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Re: Rotor Reccomendations

From what I've seen at the track, cross drilled rotors tend to develop cracks around the 'holes' over time even with non-aggressive driving. Slotted rotors have also been known to crack under hard track driving. The only way that these cracks can be prevented is if the slotting/holes are made into the rotor during the forging process.

I would probably say that 'dimpled' is best as the indents are small and don't go very deep into the rotor.

Good luck with your purchase!

Quote:
Originally posted by svxjoe

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 04-06-2004, 04:12 PM
Hater

i have ART slotted cryo rotors, and no noise here. no accelerated pad wear, from what i can tell, either.

ditto what Chiketkd said - drilled will crack.

i remember in a magazine someone asked a (Mercedes?) racecar driver why the normal cars have drilled rotors and the racecar doesn't. the response was "because they look nice and sell cars."

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 04-06-2004, 05:24 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Might have to set up a group buy with ART... I want slotted rotors but I'd love to have them Cryo-Treated for those blasts up and down the Dragon with the crazy WRX's from NASIOC

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 04-06-2004, 06:54 PM
nnjsvx

Smile

I have ART Cryo Treated and slotted with Carbon Pads. Only 7,000 miles on them but they feel wonderful. Stock size replacement. All four with pads was $600 plus $50 shipping.

I am very careful to have shop torque nuts properly as I understand that is a common mistake leading to warpage. I rotate wheels every 5,000 miles.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:19 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Rotors

Hi everyone, I put ART rotors,F/R, on a year ago. Had the wheels off last week to put Dayles lowering springs on the front, and the ART rotors looked like the day they were put on. No rust. Really great. I'm also using Akebono pads. No noise when I brake. And they really slow you down, with a very light pedal. As I always say, you pays your money and you gets your thrills. Take care, BOBB
Old 04-07-2004, 01:53 AM
Jedi Member

How much are those ART rotors? I'm looking to do my fronts soon since I figure that they're doing all the braking anyway. (you know, as the nose dives into the ground and the trunk is in the air )
'01 Legacy Outback, White,
Old 04-07-2004, 07:39 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

www.appliedrotortechnology.com

Check them out... one of the guys there was willing to be very leaniant on the price with me about 6 months back.. But still the price that he wanted for the front 2 was more than ya could get all 4 from raceconcepts.com... I'd really love some ART Rotors though... I'd be happy to start a group buy

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 04-07-2004, 10:28 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Go with Raceconcepts! Wood is a great guy and supports the SVX community. I've got the slotted/dimple drilled on the front and slotted on the back. Great combination for the street and autocrossing!
-Bill
p.s. Wood also carries SS brake lines that bolt right in - front and back.

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 04-07-2004, 10:32 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Thanks for the link. I couldn't find it anywhere. Are the ART rotors the same size and thickness as stock?

-Chike

Quote:
Originally posted by GreenMarineSVX
www.appliedrotortechnology.com
Check them out... one of the guys there was willing to be very leaniant on the price with me about 6 months back.. But still the price that he wanted for the front 2 was more than ya could get all 4 from raceconcepts.com... I'd really love some ART Rotors though... I'd be happy to start a group buy

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 04-07-2004, 10:39 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
bradi's here, they are sweet, and i have had many 100+ stops. I got them for 150 a pair but i dont think they wre making money on em.
phil
Old 04-07-2004, 01:26 PM
Only SVX @ UCF (Cool!)

Question With Stock Brake Pads?

Can you use STOCk brake pads with the rotors from RaceConcepts.com?