Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-16-2001, 09:47 PM
Chad

Just Venting

Well, just thought I would vent here.

About a month ago I found out that my A/C didn't work. The dealership told me "$300 and we'll look for leaks in the evaporator case" They had already pumped 2 lbs of r-12 in and it leaked right out. That cost me $200. I got ripped off, never mind having to drive 60 miles each way to a Subaru shop.

Debating over the thought of spending the $300 I went down to a local shop (Chev-bro-lay) and asked if they could do a leak test. They said "Sure. Our labor rate is only $45." They did the leak test, charged me $24 and said "Yup, it's the evaporator"

SO. I get a used evaporator from a parts yard in Virginia for 50 bucks, install it myself (there was no r-12 in it anyway) and took it back down (today).

They vacuum check the system, and all looks good. They start pumping in the r-12 and......blow out the compressor seal. They lost 4 oz of freon and don't charge me a thing.

Well.....found a used compressor in-state for $150 shipped to my door. They even tested it (don't know how?) before calling me back and telling me it was good.

SO....Hopefully early next week I'll get the compressor and get it installed and filled.....I gotta tell ya, it's been warm without the A/C. (100+ all week)

Other than that, all is well. Ordered a used starter too. I think the solenoid is going bad......does the "click, click" thing.
Old 08-16-2001, 10:04 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Just Venting

Quote:
Originally posted by Chad

About a month ago I found out that my A/C didn't work. The dealership told me "$300 and we'll look for leaks in the evaporator case" They had already pumped 2 lbs of r-12 in and it leaked right out. That cost me $200. I got ripped off, never mind having to drive 60 miles each way to a Subaru shop.

Debating over the thought of spending the $300 I went down to a local shop (Chev-bro-lay) and asked if they could do a leak test. They said "Sure. Our labor rate is only $45." They did the leak test, charged me $24 and said "Yup, it's the evaporator"

SO. I get a used evaporator from a parts yard in Virginia for 50 bucks, install it myself (there was no r-12 in it anyway) and took it back down (today).

They vacuum check the system, and all looks good. They start pumping in the r-12 and......blow out the compressor seal. They lost 4 oz of freon and don't charge me a thing.

Well.....found a used compressor in-state for $150 shipped to my door. They even tested it (don't know how?) before calling me back and telling me it was good.

SO....Hopefully early next week I'll get the compressor and get it installed and filled.....I gotta tell ya, it's been warm without the A/C. (100+ all week)

Other than that, all is well. Ordered a used starter too. I think the solenoid is going bad......does the "click, click" thing.
Chad, that's what we're here for, bud. We can understand -- better than anyone else. Vent on. You'll have to listen to my rants later, so, it's all reciprocal.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 08-17-2001, 07:14 AM
The Road Less Traveled

Re: Re: Just Venting

Later?

Have you already concluded and given up to the fact that days before a big meet something will happen to your car?

So when's Snowshoe II and Autofest coming up again?

VK

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Chad, that's what we're here for, bud. We can understand -- better than anyone else. Vent on. You'll have to listen to my rants later, so, it's all reciprocal.
Old 08-17-2001, 09:50 AM
Lowered SVX

i had a leak recently and had to get some...

damn o-ring replaced. i love this car but its quirks are beginning to take its toll on me. i have got one more guy i can take it to for the suspension gremlins i am having. if he can not permanently fix whatever is happening i am selling my svx.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 08-17-2001, 10:09 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Just Venting

Quote:

Chad, what year is your SVX? I can't say for the '92s, but my '93 uses R134a, which is considerably (and artificially) cheaper than R12. I don't even know what kind of complications are involved when you put in the wrong coolant, but it at least cost you more money, if that was the case.

There's a sticker under the hood that will tell you what coolant is in the car. I have to drive to the dealer over lunch anyway - I'll look for it...

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 08-17-2001, 10:24 AM
Chad

r-12

My 92 uses r-12 and the retrofit kit won't help me with a bad compressor.

After I have replaced everything and then get the retrofit kit, I'd still be paying more for the retrofit kit then I would to have the system charged with r-12
Old 08-17-2001, 12:37 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: r-12

Quote:
My 92 uses r-12 and the retrofit kit won't help me with a bad compressor.

After I have replaced everything and then get the retrofit kit, I'd still be paying more for the retrofit kit then I would to have the system charged with r-12
I wasn't trying to sell you on a retrofit kit - I was wondering if you're sure the '92 uses R12, since my '93 uses R134a.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 08-17-2001, 02:10 PM
Multiple Suby Owner

R-12

The 92's do use R-12,unless someone has already had it converted. If so there should be some kind of sticker placed in the engine compartment to say so.