Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-27-2011, 07:47 AM

Transmission slips out of gear when turning

I had just adjusted the brake band to address a flaring issue, which it helped some (only got a half turn into it to see the results, not the 3/4 turn recommended). But the transmission slips out of gear when turning right, under acceleration. I had asked the mechanic friend that i have who has helped me in the past if it was possibly the differential going out, and he said that was a sound estimate (has only worked on 1 other svx in his life,however). the fluid level in the tranny shows a bit high(cold) if i remember correctly from the last time i checked it. fluid color and smell were both fine. Any suggestions? I do have that lurking feeling, and reluctance to drive it, thinking the transmission is on the way out and will probably be selling it soon if that is the case.

any info would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks in advance,

DM
Old 01-27-2011, 09:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Transmission slips out of gear when turning

Check the level again. It sounds like you're low on fluid.
2001 Audi S8
Old 01-27-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green1995SVX View Post
Check the level again. It sounds like you're low on fluid.
just checked the fluid level and even got a 2nd opinion, fluid level is perfect, clean and smell is normal.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:43 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilman View Post
I had just adjusted the brake band to address a flaring issue, which it helped some (only got a half turn into it to see the results, not the 3/4 turn recommended). But the transmission slips out of gear when turning right, under acceleration. I had asked the mechanic friend that i have who has helped me in the past if it was possibly the differential going out, and he said that was a sound estimate (has only worked on 1 other svx in his life,however). the fluid level in the tranny shows a bit high(cold) if i remember correctly from the last time i checked it. fluid color and smell were both fine. Any suggestions? I do have that lurking feeling, and reluctance to drive it, thinking the transmission is on the way out and will probably be selling it soon if that is the case.

any info would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks in advance,

DM
You say "But the transmission slips out of gear when turning right, under acceleration. " can you explain this a bit better?
What gear is it in when this happens,
Does it keep driving, or does it just rev, like it is in neutral?

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:34 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
You say "But the transmission slips out of gear when turning right, under acceleration. " can you explain this a bit better?
What gear is it in when this happens,
Does it keep driving, or does it just rev, like it is in neutral?

Harvey.
and are there any noises going on when it happens?
Old 01-28-2011, 08:31 AM

yes, sorry i left that out..

it revs freely and when the turn is completed (steering wheel straightens out) it pick back up into gear. As far as the gear it is in, starting from a stop and making a right turn, it slips between 1st and 2nd. Prior to the brake band adjustment, it was slipping out and over revving on both the turning (1st to 2nd) and then 2nd to 3rd. in an attempt to investigate further, yesterday i disconnected the resistor near the battery and this (in addition to the minor 1/2 turn as opposed to the 3/4 turn), alleviated the 2nd to 3rd slip/rev, but of course not the turn slipping.

I hypothesized that the problem has spread, or was just unfortunate in its timing, into the front differential. The fluid level in the diff is normal,but of course that doesn't mean something isn't functioning correctly or beginning to fail, necessarily, and was only a theory at this point. I can only rely on a friend/mechanic and of course the vast help that this network has afforded me, as funds are limited, so a lot of poking and prodding is the best i can do atm. Of course if the problem is more severe (failing transmission/rebuild/replace) is required, i do think i will have to sell the car, which i do not want to do. It is in an overall great shape and otherwise has been one of my favorite vehicles to drive, as well as to own.

so to briefly re-cap: 1)slips and revs between 1st and 2nd from a dead start turning a corner and goes into gear normally after the wheel is straightened a bit... 2)slips and revs (albeit more subdued now after BB adjust), 3) and if memory serves, slips when entering a corner at speed, and revs (under transmission braking conditions ie; coming down from say 4th to 3rd<---fine // then slips between 3rd to 2nd upon reaching corner entry speed.

in the hopes of at least having more knowledgeable information for myself and my mechanic friend to arm ourselves with, the outcome being keeping my car on the road and in my hands, I thank you all in advance of your experience and furtherment of this unique vehicle.

highest regards,

DM
Old 01-28-2011, 09:04 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

OK, as Dave asked, does it make any noises? Any noise or clunk as it stops slipping, and grips?

Harvey.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:09 AM
There's a storm coming.

Is the transmission pan dented?

Has the transmission filter been recently changed?

Are you checking the transmission fluid level with the engine running in park on the level and looking at the back side of the dipstick?

Is the dipstick that you are checking on the drivers side of the car, back by the firewall?
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 01-29-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
OK, as Dave asked, does it make any noises? Any noise or clunk as it stops slipping, and grips?

Harvey.
it doesnt make any noise or clunk when it does get into gear after the slip. Although on the turn/slip problem, I do feel some gripping/binding when the gear starts to catch, or try to, during the turn and straighten out process.

You guys rock and i sing the praises of this network when i talk about my car.

more to come.

DM

Last edited by Devilman; 01-29-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
Is the transmission pan dented?

Has the transmission filter been recently changed?

Are you checking the transmission fluid level with the engine running in park on the level and looking at the back side of the dipstick?

Is the dipstick that you are checking on the drivers side of the car, back by the firewall?
1)i have not inspected the trans pan, but will do that today and update.
2) no the filter has not been changed recently, and when the last fluid service was done, it wasnt either.
3) I checked the fluid cold, in park, using the cold side of the dipstick, and then got it up to operating temp and checked it on the hot side. On reflection, the driveway im on now (just moved here) does have a very very slight grade, but just to be solid on that i will park it in the level street and be concrete on that one at the update later today.

once again, thank you all for your input and i will update the questions you have posted shortly (ive been out job hunting in the interim, so bear with me(i really do want to keep my car).

DM
Old 01-29-2011, 04:17 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilman View Post
it doesnt make any noise or clunk when it does get into gear after the slip. Although on the turn/slip problem, I do feel some gripping/binding when the gear starts to catch, or try to, during the turn and straighten out process.

You guys rock and i sing the praises of this network when i talk about my car.

more to come.

DM
Well I think we were both hoping for some noise, that would point to a mechanical problem like the spider gears in the front diff.

No noise puts us back to the transmission. A slipping 1st to 2nd, is either the forward clutch slipping or the freewheel/sprague clutch, slipping, but I can't relate this to the turning acton. The higher line pressure from disconnecting the dropping resistor, did not prevent this slipping, so I don't think the forward clutch is the problem. The freewheel slipping could be checked by selecting 1st and doing the start,,,, turn sequence, this unit is not used in this gear.

This is a unusual problem, so maybe the fault is just as unusual. Like the mounts letting the engine transmission unit, move enough to select N when the load is on, going back when the load comes off. Watch the gear lights on the dash, see if they show any changes.

Harvey.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:24 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

I was thinking that too, maybe some wire connection is opened or shorted as a result of the turning.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album