Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under

Old 02-03-2009, 03:25 PM

Cool Re: Has anyone installed Fogs on an Aussie SVX?

Best bet is to do what I have done - buy the switches from US model then retro-fit switch cap & lamp into the Aussie / NZ model switch area, run wires to relay & on to the lamps.

Mating connectors from wiring of switches are different (colours & positions on the loom) - hence the need to only swap mechanical areas over, leaving the real loom in place.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:44 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Thumbs up Re: Has anyone installed Fogs on an Aussie SVX?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURTEESS View Post
Best bet is to do what I have done - buy the switches from US model then retro-fit switch cap & lamp into the Aussie / NZ model switch area, run wires to relay & on to the lamps.

Mating connectors from wiring of switches are different (colours & positions on the loom) - hence the need to only swap mechanical areas over, leaving the real loom in place.
That sounds good.

If you do a write-up on it, we will publish it in the How To section.

White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-07-2009, 05:47 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Finally the answer to a 17 year old riddle.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXdc View Post
I may have read that same German SVX forum. I saw some discussion about a law specifying the minimum distance between the headlight and fog lights, and on the SVX they were too close together.

Can you imagine all of the resulting design rules needed to satisfy the various laws around the world when you're trying to develop a car?
David

I don't have German so I rely on Babel for translation. It's hit or miss.

What you have just said above blows both of my theories out of the water, but it fits the facts.

First and foremost in 1992, whatever about now, it was not allowable to sell a car into Germany with plastic lenses.
[I know this because a friend of mine bought an '84 Matra Murena that came from Germany. To be legal the body curved fog lights below bumper level had the plastic lens cut away and a glass lens fixed over the hole]

Germany was a big and important market, so Fuji had to make a glass version of the SVX headlamp for Germany and Europe. To comply with German regs for additional driving or fog lamps, the third inner light was too close to the main and dip lamps to qualify. So the fog lamp casing came out, and in went the blank reflector.

As the numbers sold to other glass headlamp markets was small, they just decided to make one glass lamp chassis for all; no inner fog light, glass lenses and tilt motor for compensating for heavy loads. It is easy to make the lamps left or right dip in the factory by moving the outer projector housing through 45 degrees before the lamp chassis is glued in place. This meant there was no additional cost to making the lamps for RHD applications such as Britain.

So in a nutshell, because German regs deemed the inner fog lamp to be too close to the main/dips, the rest of Europe also got glass lamps with no inner foglight in place.

Explained at last.

Joe

White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: