Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under

Old 10-09-2007, 06:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to nutshell Send a message via MSN to nutshell Send a message via Yahoo to nutshell Send a message via Skype™ to nutshell
Thumbs up Finally - sorted out the tyre wear

You may remember that my last posts (a while back now) were about the unexplained tyre wear on my '91 4WS and the troubles we had identifying the problem.

FINALLY I can report - problem solved.

It seems the old girl had suffered a knock to the right front corner in the past that resulted in a bent steering linkage (the Ackerman arm) that meant the toe-in differed markedly depending on which way the vehicle was steering. The result was severe scrubbing of the inside edge of the right front tyre and this was enough to destroy said rubber over a distance of about 25K km.

The bent bit was eventually isolated by the suspension guys at Pedders Suspension (now called Magwarehouse) in Gt North Road, just off the top of Mt Eden Road.

It took us two replacement hubs before we got a good one - many thanks to SVX wrecker supremo Peter out in Waitakere.

In celebration I've put a set of Dunlop Direzza DZ101's on the front and plan to replace the two near new SAVA on the back with the same in the near future.
Anyone want them?

The ride, tracking and directional stability have improved out of sight; she now goes around corners as the designers intended. Flat!

Happy days.

Last edited by nutshell; 10-09-2007 at 06:56 AM. Reason: correction
Old 10-09-2007, 07:29 AM

Registered SVX
It is very worthwhile when members report back regarding obscure problems which are fixed. In this instance it would appear that alignment carried out in the straight ahead position had obtusely corrected a fault, but in fact had only concealed the fault.

Better that this item had been included in the general technical section. Please do a write up and transfer same.

Takes a no 8 wire conversant Kiwi, to sort out real problems.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 11-08-2007, 05:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to nutshell Send a message via MSN to nutshell Send a message via Yahoo to nutshell Send a message via Skype™ to nutshell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Takes a no 8 wire conversant Kiwi, to sort out real problems.
Thanks Trev - not really my doing. Just bloody mindedness on my part. It was the guys who did the work who identified the problem.

Apparently although the front hub assembly looks as solid as a rock - a huge casting - it is actually quite fragile. A good whack is enuff to put it out - so they say.

Yeah, I will get around to putting in more details in the tech section, but for now....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: