Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under

Old 02-21-2007, 12:40 PM

Cool Central locking switch in gear shift area

I am wondering how easy it would be to wire in a central locking switch like I have seen on some model SVXs - would it just be a simple case of finding out where the existing wiring goes to that comes off drivers side door lock mechanism?

regards

Steve in New Zealand
Old 02-22-2007, 02:15 AM

Send a message via ICQ to berger
I thought central locking was all standard?
Old 02-22-2007, 02:29 AM
Phil & Belha

Assuming it works the same as the system on my Legacy, it should be easy:

There is a control wire running from a microswitch in the drivers door lock through to the control unit above the glove box. This wire tells the control unit whether the drivers door is locked or unlocked.

When the door is unlocked, the microswitch keeps this wire connected to ground. As you lock the door, the microswitch disconnects the ground from this wire. The control unit senses this and drives both driver and passenger lock motors into the locked position. When you subsequently unlock the door, the microswitch grounds the wire again, the control unit senses this and drives both lock motors into the unlocked position.

So, to lock the doors you simply have to momentarily break this wire, then the lock mechanism will move and the microswitch will keep the wire ungrounded.
Then to unlock them you have to momentarily ground the wire, then the lock mechanism will move and the microswitch will keep the wire grounded.

If you look at the diagram in the thread below, you can see the microswitch in the drivers door actuator.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...2&postcount=14
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II

Last edited by b3lha; 02-22-2007 at 03:19 AM.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:20 PM

Registered SVX
Thank you Phil,

It certainly does appear that there are distinct similarities between models.

After a little investigation in respect ot the JDM system in my car, which did not involve exposing the internal components, I analyse as follows.

(1) The passenger door locking latch is directly controlled manually from the inside sliding locking lever, together with the facility for electrical operation of the same mechanism.

(2) The drivers door locking latch is depends entirely on electrical control and the sliding lever comprises only an electrical switch, with any mechanical connection restricted to the key barrel. [See (5) below.]

(3) The changeover contacts shown in the diagram as associated with both door actuators, are switches which reverse in response to the position of the door locking latch; i.e. through manual actuation, passenger side, electrical actuation drivers side. Without these contacts lock/unlock operation could get out of synchronisation.

(4) If the door handle is not operated by holding up the handle while closing the door, both latches will become electrically unlocked. This would indicate that the door handle switch is somehow incorporated within the control circuitry.

(5) Both key barrels directly mechanically operate their respective inside sliding locking levers.

(6) The normally open contacts shown associated with the drivers side actuator provide the lock/unlock control signal via the door lock timer module. These contacts appear to be operated only by means of the internal drivers door sliding lever. Refer to (2) above.

(7) It would appear probable that contacts ref. (2) are opened to facilitate unlocking and closed for locking, rather than having of a momentary function. The diagram gives no indication of momentary operation as would be expected, but it is accepted that automotive drawings are seldom accurate in respect of electrical symbols.

Queries :-

Absolute confirmation regarding intermittent or closed/open switching as per (7) above, either being possible.

Without digging inside the door I am unable to establish -

(a) That my assumption as per (3) above, is in fact correct.

(b) Whether the motor marked “M” has a rotary or linear motion.

(c) Whether on each application of current, “M” changes the position of the mechanism, from locked/unlocked/locked.

A resistor is shown as being incorporated in series with “M”. This would indicate a means of limiting current when the mechanism is stalled at the end of travel, and thus eliminate the need for limit switching, taking into account the timing module.

(d) The function and situation of the “Key Plate Switch interestingly protected only against a substantial current. Possibly this is associated with remote facilities.

(e) That I may have misconstrued something in respect of what I report as having discovered.

I hope to exactly determine the reason for the malfunction which occurs if both drive and passenger try to simultaneously unlock doors by means of the slide switches. This fault creates a dangerous situation and has always caused me real concern. I have some definite ideas, but require confirmation regarding operation of the actuators (M).

Cheers Phil, Trevor

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 02-23-2007, 08:59 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
[I have transplanted this reply to the cross-posted thread in the Technical Q & A forum. Let's continue the discussion there]

Last edited by SVXdc; 02-23-2007 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:27 PM

Registered SVX
Phil,

Please refer to my previous post within this thread. All else covers the OEM switch arrangement and apparently an entirely different set up.

Thanks, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 02-25-2007, 03:13 PM

Cool middle switch is just more convienent

My main reason for wanting the gear ****er area button was to enable a convienent method of unarming the central locking by both front passengers - it becomes a pain having to contort over your shoulder to unlock or lock doors.

On the NZ new versions there was no motion detector that automatically locked the doors -- unlike JDM or other countries.

I though I would get hold of the central switch & work backwards from the drivers door switch wiring loom etc.

Steve in New Zealand
Old 02-26-2007, 12:53 AM

Registered SVX
Steve, it would appear that the NZ system is the same as the Australian, which means that you have a problem in achieving what you desire.

This system has no electrical activation of the locking mechanism in the drivers door. Operation is purely mechanical, but at the same time a switch is moved so as o also unlock the passenger door. Therefore you can not get over the awkward opening of the drivers door.

Old 02-26-2007, 01:30 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
Steve, it would appear that the NZ system is the same as the Australian, which means that you have a problem in achieving what you desire.

This system has no electrical activation of the locking mechanism in the drivers door. Operation is purely mechanical, but at the same time a switch is moved so as o also unlock the passenger door. Therefore you can not get over the awkward opening of the drivers door.
Trevor
<<
Therefore you can not get over the awkward opening of the drivers door
>>

I'm not sure I understand you right in this matter. I would not mind if a momentary switch operated to unlock both the driver and the passenger door to allow the passenger to disembark. It would simply be a matter of re-locking both doors when underway. The driver's door would unlock, but not open.

Re-locking both is done by the speed control in the JDM ones. It can be achieved by the driver's slider button in the UK one.

My main grief with the last JDM car I had was the physical difficulty of reaching over to the passenger slider lever to help a passenger. Operating the microswitch using the inside driver door latch also simultaneously opened the driver door, as opposed to simply unlocking it.

Now if it was possible to re-position the microswitch so that by lifting the latch on the driver's door a little bit it was hit early and unlocked both doors, but did not open the driver's door, then that solution would fix the problem of letting the passenger out, without the complication of opening and re-shutting the driver's door. Or indeed without the need for a second switch, although only the driver could access the function.

Does anyone who has seen the position of the microswitch think that any such adjustment is possible?

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-26-2007, 01:58 AM
Phil & Belha

(I've removed this post after reading the other thread)
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II

Last edited by b3lha; 02-26-2007 at 02:41 AM.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:58 AM

Registered SVX
Joe, you do not understand because you are confusing the different systems. My last comments specifically relate only to the Australian and NZ models, which have no electrical actuator in the drivers door. I think you have the manuals, refer to section 6 - 3, page 36.

In respect of the JDM system, it would surely be better to fit a separate switch, as the existing door latch on both sides is a pain to get at. The suggested connections for this, have already been referred to in one or other of the two now confused threads.

Edit P.S. Two minds in sync phil. *<)

Last edited by Trevor; 02-26-2007 at 02:02 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: