Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-03-2017, 06:30 PM

Question How do you bake open a waterfall grill (grille) in the oven?

I've often heard of using an oven to bake a waterfall grill to soften the black adhesive that holds the 2 halves together in order to open it up. Now that I actually want to open one, I've looked up some threads, and found some disturbing results. The first recommendation I came across was to bake at 300˚ F for 10 minutes. (http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ht=oven+grille) The next one I came across showed a very melted grill from 250˚ F. (http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ht=oven+grille) Next I came across a slightly melted one from just 200˚ F for 10 minutes! (http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ght=oven+grill) These posts make me afraid to try.

If you've successfully used this technique w/o any melting, please post at what temperature, for how long, and how you supported the grill while it was in the oven. Also, did you just rely on the temperature setting control to determine the temperature, or did you have a thermometer inside the oven so you could see the actual temperature.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:28 AM
SVX n00b

Registered SVX
Re: How do you bake open a waterfall grill (grille) in the oven?

I'm about to undertake a similar task on my 2002 WRX. You can either bake the grill in the oven on its LOWEST setting, like 200*F. Let the oven pre-heat and put the grill in for 3-4 minutes sitting on a junk towel on top of a cookie sheet. You don't want the lamp too close to any heating element or to actually touch any metal in the oven.

If the oven scares you, careful use of a hot-air gun will accomplish the same task.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:04 PM
SVXNATION

If you've successfully used this technique w/o any melting, please post at what temperature, for how long, and how you supported the grill while it was in the oven. Also, did you just rely on the temperature setting control to determine the temperature, or did you have a thermometer inside the oven so you could see the actual temperature.[/QUOTE]

215 for 8 min we will be opening a members grill to modify it in february on the youtube channel

We are a combination of both the Network the Forums and a plethora of new bloods! We have close to 6000 members on all forms of social media worldwide. What's all the fuss about? We're just the next logical step in a social media-driven World! As one of the community's longest-running members explained: If the the traditional forums are the library... SVXNATION would most certainly be the popular corner coffee shop

www.svxnation.com

Old 01-23-2017, 06:30 AM

Sounds good! Once you've got it on Youtube, please post a link back here.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:36 AM
Some Random Weirdo

I usually bake mine in garlic and white wine. Comes out great.