Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain

Old 08-13-2012, 07:10 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Re: Crazy_Pilot's 6MT Swap (Lots-O-Pics!)

These ones?

Left: 806730041
Right: 806730042

That's what I tried to get from Subaru and was unable to.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 08-13-2012, 07:54 AM

Registered SVX

Your dealer sucks then. Those are the same ones I used, and just ordered for an '07 wrx transmission into my roommates SVX.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:11 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Canadian dealer fail. I tried two different places, both couldn't help me.

2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos

Old 08-20-2012, 06:21 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Small bit of progress this weekend. Got the drieshaft and heat shields back in (side note: Install the fuel tank heat shield before the rear diff. Doesn't really work the other way around. Ask me how I know this. ) Also, I'm going to have to sort out my driveshaft. I have two of them, and both have stiff spots in the u-joints. I installed the better of the two, so I'll either have the second one rebuilt or suck it up and see what Subaru wants for a new one.

I also refurbished my spare set of exhaust manifolds. When I swapped my engine last year I snapped all four studs off removing the exhaust. Unfortunately the studs on the replacement engine's manifolds were also pretty aweful, the threads had almost completely rusted away. I didn't have time to fix it properly then, so I loaded it with high temp silicone and wrapped it all with coat hanger. Worked well enough

Either way, I managed to get three of the broken studs out. The fourth snapped off flush, so I simply drilled it and tapped for a smaller bolt. Ghetto helicoil FTW.

A trick I learned from one of the local Subaru club guys: If you need a tap to chase threads, simply grab a bolt that fits and grind a slot into it. In this case, one of the cylinder head exhaust studs with a seized nut.

The more eagle-eyed will notice a couple things. One, my EGR tube is sliced off and sealed. I disabled my EGR a while ago, and this makes installation of things many times easier. Two, the studs I've installed in the manifold aren't the correct ones. The dealer couldn't get me the parts in time (ordered them several weeks ago, no luck), so I stole those from my blown engine's cylinder head. Same thread, and seem to be made of some miracle metal that doesn't stick to things. Good enough for me!

Trial installation of my front exhaust to make sure it clears things. Custom crossmember + custom exhaust built by two different people is a recipe for clashing parts.

Fortunately, everything clears. Just.

Clutch flex line installed:

The bracket is actually half of the one used in the STi, bolted to the support for the A/C line that would normally be there. My condensor blew up and I never really cared too much, so I just removed everything. Cars with A/C installed my still be able to do this, I can't remember what it looks like there.

Things are actually getting pretty close. Next week is fluids, starter, and wiring and then it should be ready to start. Just some buttoning up after that.

Last edited by Crazy_pilot; 07-27-2015 at 06:23 AM.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:59 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

So that's what the clutch lines are supposed to look like. Mine just kind of dangle and loop around. You're definitely doing things right with this swap, I'm very impressed, and making a list of things I'm going to need to go back and do right when I get the chance.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 08-20-2012, 11:23 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Yep. I'm actually close-ish to the OEM STi setup, just fipped aroound:

Old 08-20-2012, 11:25 AM

Registered SVX

Nice. Looks very legit, man.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 08-20-2012, 11:29 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Thanks! I think I need to clean up that A/C bracket now though. Nice painted part on a rusty old part... Does not work. Ah well, more small things

Old 09-09-2012, 08:44 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

She's alive!!!! MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I've got a few small things to button up, but the job is 95% done. Here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure:

Clutch line installation: (and the throttle cable grommet I still have to poke into place. Annoying little guy that one.)

Pedals installed and dashboard put back together. I have heard rumours, or perhaps you could say legends, of people who can install the pedals without taking the kick panel and steering column out. All I can say is that you people must be some kind of sorcerers, because there wasn't a snowball's hope in hell of me getting it done with everything still there.

New calipers painted black and installed. One is going to have to get replaced though. When I tried to bleed it nothing would come through. I pulled the line back off and fluid came pouring out, so something was causing a blockage in the caliper. I jammed my pick tool (which is magnetic) into the bottom of the bleed port and broke through something, which turned out to be a pile of the metal bead shot they use to clean the calipers when they're reman'd. It bled fine after that, but I have a feeling that over time those beads will chew up the seals.

Interior reassembled, minus the center console. I need to fab up the plate to clamp down that rubber shifter seal thing and finish trimming the shifter surround to fit properly.

Work remaining is to drop the pre-cats and seal them properly (they were installed temporarily to let me test drive it), finish the console, and bed the brakes in properly, then go get an alignment. I still haven't done that since installing the coilovers.

Last edited by Crazy_pilot; 07-27-2015 at 06:29 AM.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:08 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
Pedals installed and dashboard put back together. I have heard rumours, or perhaps you could say legends, of people who can install the pedals without taking the kick panel and steering column out. All I can say is that you people must be some kind of sorcerers, because there wasn't a snowball's hope in hell of me getting it done with everything still there.
I have done this not once, but 3 times. :P

Old 09-10-2012, 07:56 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
I have done this not once, but 3 times. :P
Both swaps I've done without taking the column out. Once the TCU and ECU are pulled out of the bracket, this allows for easy access to the last brake pedal bolt located above the steering column shaft. (or something like that)
Old 09-30-2012, 10:18 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Time for finishing touches.

Shifter to body seal plate (totally stole dragoontwo's concept here). The 6 grommet things are cut out of the SVX seal, I didn't use the whole gasket. The road noise is pretty minimal, minus the 6MT gear whine. If/when I strip out the interior as part of the body work I'm going to add some thermal/acoustic shielding along the transmission tunnel. Things get pretty toasty in there.

And of course the shifter surround needs to be trimmed for the 6MT shifter. 5MT swaps can get away without this I believe. I just did a wee bit of notching:

So the STi trim bezel would fit properly:

I'm going to epoxy some tabs below the bolt holes to give me a place to stick some nuts. As you can see I had to eliminate the front two mounting tabs from the SVX piece. I'm hoping I can find some very long bolts that will allow me to place nuts on the main center console.

Last edited by Crazy_pilot; 07-27-2015 at 06:32 AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:51 PM
SVX n00b

Registered SVX

Any updates? Thoughts now that it is running?
Old 12-11-2012, 06:48 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Things are going well. There are still a couple loose ends to tie up still - I have to finish the shifter trim from the post above, and still need to wire the reverse lights.

Two issues that I've run into so far though: One is that the first time I start the car in the morning it will run around 2000 RPM and does not settle as the engine warms up. From some searching it seems that this is something that happens to MT swapped cars. My workaround for it is to get the car driving in 3rd, shut the engine off and refire. The idle then instantly drops back down to ~1400 cold and ~700 warm. Subsequent starts during the day, even after sitting for 8 hours, are normal.

The other issue is that the new driveshaft I just installed rubs against something. By the sound I believe it's the steel cup on the transmission tailshaft, it sounds too "ring-y" to be the heatshield. I've still got to jack the car up and inspect.

In terms of overall effect though, I love it. Between the transmission and coilovers the car is a total blast to drive. Second gear through a corner, squeeze on the power through the exit and feel the torque instantly. Anything you do to the throttle is instantly translated to the wheels, whereas the automatic seemed more keen to turn pedal movement into changes in noise, followed eventually by acceleration.

One slightly annoying thing is that my Legacy is also a 6MT but with SI-Drive. In the "Intelligent" mode the throttle response is extremely damped down. This makes rolling out from a stop a very different process between the two cars. The SVX instantly jumps to 1500 RPM, but the Legacy needs a little more prodding. The difference between the EG33 and EJ255 are also very marked. The H6 has no issue driving around at 1500 RPM or less, while the H4 hates being below 2000.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:55 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
One is that the first time I start the car in the morning it will run around 2000 RPM and does not settle as the engine warms up. From some searching it seems that this is something that happens to MT swapped cars. My workaround for it is to get the car driving in 3rd, shut the engine off and refire. The idle then instantly drops back down to ~1400 cold and ~700 warm. Subsequent starts during the day, even after sitting for 8 hours, are normal.
I never had this issue. Not on the stock ecu, stage 1av1, or stage 2av1. Not sure what I did differently.