SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2002, 05:44 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
If I ever find the cat that dragged this 'thing' in I'm going to tar and feather it.

I hate to have to do this, but......

"I hereby call upon the tranny demons!! Demons, do my bidding!! Toast this wretch's gearbox into a smoking pile of molten garbage the very next time it lines up at the stoplight to battle it out with a neon. Leave the beast in shame for all to see. This, I command you"
-insert thunderstorm sound effects here-

I can't wait to hear the door slam as his back is turned on the svx world.

92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 10-14-2002, 06:32 PM

Registered SVX
Not a good wish as in those circumstances an innocent tow company will be copping the bill as an insurace policy has been confirmed. Refer technical thread for further insight into the thought processes operating here.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 10-15-2002, 09:11 AM
$VX

That's just not nice man.

Anyway, nobody answered my question: why is the chrysler hemi by far the most popular engine for dragsters?

- Ca$h
Old 10-15-2002, 09:45 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by $VX

Anyway, nobody answered my question: why is the chrysler hemi by far the most popular engine for dragsters?

- Ca$h
It ain't. Though popular, they are not used in ALL dragsters as was your original claim. Guess my bliss is fading.

http://popularmechanics.com/automoti...ds/print.phtml

Which is better? Well, the Chrysler Hemi-based supercharged engines are far more popular among
the teams (and reportedly much more reliable), partly because the technology is readily available
from the Top Alcohol Dragster and Funny Car engine builders. The nitrous devotees, on the other
hand, maintain that their big-block Chevy-derived combinations are better when the weather gets
hot and muggy, because they can step up their injection systems while the blower guys are already
maxed out.

http://www.nhra.com/2002/news/July/072401.html

NHRA’s All-Star Pro Racing Engine Builders for the 2002 (35th Annual) All-Star Drag Racing
Team (Looks like 2 GM Builders and a Ford)

Warren Johnson:
When Oldsmobile engineers launched a serious drag racing program to showcase the resurrected
Hurst/Oldsmobile in 1983, W.J. was the man they called. Johnson reworked the venerable big-
block Chevrolet V-8 to create a purpose-built powerplant: the invincible Drag Race Competition
Engine (DRCE). After nearly 20 years, the Johnson-designed DRCE remains the foundation of
GM's Pro Stock engine program.

Jon Kaase:
Kaase, who owns Jon Kaase Racing Engines in Winder, Georgia, outside of Atlanta, is in fact
considered the guru of big cube Ford racing engines. His name is displayed on no less than 18
IHRA Pro Stock cars, and the win-loss record compiled by his customers, not to mention the
championship trophies and world records, are surely the envy of performance engine builders
everywhere.

Reher-Morrison Racing Engines:
Every Reher-Morrison Super Series Engine is dyno tested and dyno tuned. That's right, every
one! Your engine is shipped with the specific dyno test sheet for that engine. Based on new GM
generation VI and Dart Big 'M' blocks, these race ready engines are complete from carburetor to
oil pan.

http://www.competitionplus.com/07_31...ast_fords.html

From Competition Plus, the Internet Drag Racing Magazine, July 7, 2002 (Notice mention of
Kaase’s “Big Ford Hemi.” – Don’t quite go together, now, does it? )
For the last three seasons, a driver wheeling machinery with origins in Dearborn, Michigan has
won the IHRA’’s mountain motor Pro Stock class championship. That, of course, is the city
traditionally associated with the world-famous Ford Motor Company. Nowhere else in organized
drag racing, outside of the Ford-only organizations, have cars bearing the company’’s trademark
blue oval badge been so dominant and so successful. Here, in the world of the 800-plus cubic-inch
mega motor, Ford is king, and the traditional powerhouse Chevrolet and Chrysler entities find
themselves playing a game of high-speed catch-up.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 10-15-2002, 09:56 AM
Got Dirt?

Quote:
Originally posted by $VX

- Ca$h
They are NOT using engines built by Chrysler. They are using completely custom-built engines from other companies such as Keith Black.
1992 SVX LS-L (#645 - 04/91) 164K miles - sold.
Old 10-15-2002, 10:58 AM
$VX

Aredub: I'm talking dragsters. Why you insist to bring up pro stock is beyond me. I'm talking balls to the wall FULL ON dragsters. They use hemis. Why not fords or chevies? Because.

And Rally: It >IS< a chrysler engine. Granted, the entire thing is custom, but if you took your subaru engine, remanufactured the whole thing outta titanium and aluminum, added performance everything, it woudl STILL be a subaru engine. Keith Black Hemis ARE Chrylser Hemis. Keith Black just IMPROVED the hemi, but the original design is still Chrysler.

- Ca$h
Old 10-15-2002, 12:20 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by $VX
Aredub: I'm talking dragsters. Why you insist to bring up pro stock is beyond me.
Because, these are your *exact* words:

Quote:
"Mopar big blocks are where its at man. Ever wonder why Ford and Chevy use Mopar engines in their drag cars?"

Okay. Just did. All the funny cars use HEMIS. Or a derivative from them.

Next time you're at the strip or watching funny cars and dragsters on TV, notice what engines they use. ALL CHRYSLER HEMIS.

What engine does every competitive dragster use? What engine does pretty much every funny car use? A HEMI. CHRYSLER. Even if it says FORD or CHEVY on the side, it'll still have a CHRYSLER ENGINE.

Every COMPETITIVE dragster has a hemi engine. If you don't know that you're just ignorant. Go to a dragstrip sometimes, you might learn a few things.
There are more, but, this is enough. You, first of all did not dilineate. You simply said "all dragsters." Okay, that's been proven wrong. And, I dare you to go to a pro stock driver's face and tell him he's not a "real" drag racer.

And, although, as evidenced below that the engine of a Top-Fuel Dragster is derived (note "derived" is the operative word), ALL internal combustion engines were "derived" from the first working internal combustion engine -- so, using your logic, ALL cars are powered by Leniors.

http://www.topfueltour.com/english/teknik.htm

"The engine of a Top Fuel-dragster is derived from Chryslers legendary 426 Hemi even though no parts remain from the original one. That means it’s a 90° V8-engine with low mounted camshaft, push rods and two valves per cylinder. The volume is limited by the rules to a maximum of 500 cubic-inches, that is 8,19 liters, The power output is amazing, about 6000 horsepower, or more, if needed!"
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 10-15-2002, 01:06 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
"The engine of a Top Fuel-dragster is derived from Chryslers legendary 426 Hemi even though no parts remain from the original one. That means it’s a 90° V8-engine with low mounted camshaft, push rods and two valves per cylinder. The volume is limited by the rules to a maximum of 500 cubic-inches, that is 8,19 liters, The power output is amazing, about 6000 horsepower, or more, if needed!"
I'm pretty sure I made that point (well, I assumed without substantiation) about three or four pages ago.

If you ask me, an engine derived from a Chrysler hemi, but maintaining no actual Chrysler parts, is hardly a Chrysler engine. Kudos for Chrysler for building an engine whose design is the basis for current top-fuel dragsters, but these are not Chrysler's engines any more than all photographic film is Kodak's or all pneumatic tires are Dunlops.

Thanks, Randy.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 10-15-2002, 01:32 PM
$VX

Well why arent they using OTHER engines? That's the point. The hemi was the best DESIGN.

- Ca$h
Old 10-15-2002, 01:54 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by $VX
Well why arent they using OTHER engines? That's the point. The hemi was the best DESIGN.

- Ca$h
You're backpedaling and changing your claim. You have claimed that all dragsters use Chrysler engines. Now you're claiming that they use engines based on a similar design. Those are two different claims.

In F1, Ferrari, McLaren and BMW all use 90-degree 2997cc V10s with four pneumatically-operated valves per cylinder. Most teams do. Does that mean that they're all the same? Hell, no. It means that they've collectively settled on the best basic layout for the current regulations. Who 'discovered' this combination is of zero consequence.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 10-15-2002 at 02:09 PM.
Old 10-15-2002, 02:08 PM
$VX

You're ignorant. You can take a head off a keith black hemi and put it on a chrysler hemi. You can interchange parts. ITS A CHRYSLER ENGINE. Just because another manufacturer made all the parts does not negate the fact that its still a CHRYSLER HEMI.

I can't believe you guys are this ignorant.

- Ca$h
Old 10-15-2002, 02:20 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by $VX
You're ignorant. You can take a head off a keith black hemi and put it on a chrysler hemi. You can interchange parts. ITS A CHRYSLER ENGINE. Just because another manufacturer made all the parts does not negate the fact that its still a CHRYSLER HEMI.

I can't believe you guys are this ignorant.

- Ca$h
Okay, so all that's left to argue is whether a part made by somebody other than Chrysler is still a Chrysler part. I don't think so. I think that's a real stretch.

And, yeah, I am ignorant about drag racing. Going really, really fast in a straight line holds no more than a couple minutes' interest for me. But you don't have to use the word 'ignorant' as an insult, and if you approached your argument differently and dropped the attitude like I suggested months ago, things would go a lot differently.

Do Mopar, Chevy or Ford rule? I don't know. You know what? I couldn't care less. But you do care. You are a die-hard Chrysler fan. Fine. Whatever. More power to you. But what you're doing is excluding the possibility that anybody besides Chrysler ever made anything of merit - and that anybody who says oterwise is a total idiot.

That's wrong, man. And because it conflicts with your earlier statement that you rely on cold, hard facts, it drops you a couple notches on my credibility meter. In this case, your emotions and your bias are getting in the way of your reason.

I'm done trying to reason with you on this topic. I'm done because you're not interested in reason - you're interested in convincing us, at any cost, that Chrysler rules.

Fine, Chrysler rules. You've convinced me. Happy? I will not contribute to this thread any longer. I'm also sick of being insulted for no good reason. If you want to apologize for pissing off one of your few allies, then you can PM me.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 10-15-2002 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-15-2002, 02:38 PM
Got Dirt?

"This person is on your Ignore List. To view this post click [here]"

Ahhh, that is a nice feature! Unfortunately, I have a feeling I'll be seeing it a lot on this once useful forum. I will no longer feed the trolls...
1992 SVX LS-L (#645 - 04/91) 164K miles - sold.
Old 10-15-2002, 02:43 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally posted by rally
"This person is on your Ignore List. To view this post click [here]"

Ahhh, that is a nice feature! Unfortunately, I have a feeling I'll be seeing it a lot on this once useful forum. I will no longer feed the trolls...
Yes it is wonderful. Unfortunately people tend to hit the quote button a little too often around these parts.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 10-15-2002, 08:54 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
the (Ca$h) money pit...

Don't you realize that your just digging yourself into a hole that you'll never get out of? I gave you historical proof of my claims, i even cited where i got the info from...that wasn't good enough...Randy took DIRECT QUOTES from magazines that cover the sport, and you still dispute. Many of the guys on this board already take what you say as automatic crap. Is it your goal to expand the membership of that club? Cause if so, you are succeeding. You are fighting in a battle you have already lost, my friend. You have been proven wrong again and again by many people, and you still fight. Stop wasting your time and ours. Go race some Saturns in your Neon and leave us alone.