How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2016, 03:20 PM

Driver's side window failure

After 23 years, the driver's side window crapped out. The cable which exits the lower side of the motor had jumped off the nylon reel and gotten bound up after 2 loops. Dismantling it left a cable with severe kinks. Tried to reinstall but kinks and perhaps my misunderstanding of how the top exiting and lower exiting cable should be reinstalled resulted in a "no go" Thought I might get some new cable and repair...anyone with a working idea of how the cables should be rewound on the reel..lower exiting cable clockwise and upper CCW (viewed with motor assembly installed in door) ?? Cables wound on respective halves of the reel..?..

Doesn't look like the plastic clips that insert near the pulleys can be removed, right? (at least without removing the plug slugs that finish the cable in the reel).

Anyone with a reel/cable assembly ready to be attached to the window motor?

Those with knowledge of the mysteries of the window system please assist !

Thanks

Last edited by fasteract7; 04-09-2016 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:10 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Driver's side window failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteract7 View Post
After 23 years, the driver's side window crapped out. The cable which exits the lower side of the motor had jumped off the nylon reel and gotten bound up after 2 loops. Dismantling it left a cable with severe kinks. Tried to reinstall but kinks and perhaps my misunderstanding of how the top exiting and lower exiting cable should be reinstalled resulted in a "no go" Thought I might get some new cable and repair...anyone with a working idea of how the cables should be rewound on the reel..lower exiting cable clockwise and upper CCW (viewed with motor assembly installed in door) ?? Cables wound on respective halves of the reel..?..

Doesn't look like the plastic clips that insert near the pulleys can be removed, right? (at least without removing the plug slugs that finish the cable in the reel).

Anyone with a reel/cable assembly ready to be attached to the window motor?

Those with knowledge of the mysteries of the window system please assist !

Thanks
its interesting you have this issue, I recently had the plastic clip that rides the cable pushing the window up and down break, and it caused the cable to jump track and wind around the outside of the reel, I tried to get it un tangled but kept running into issues I ended up taking the 3 screws out of the motor so the reel could move freely, then I had a difficult time getting the right amount of prewinding on the reel, I still do not know if it is exactly right but it appears to be close the window goes up and down fine, it may not go fully up but if it is not quite all the way it is within mm's. I found it required 2 wraps on the bottom side, and a wrap and 3/4 on the top. I think is where I determined it, I am not sure that the cable is following the grooves in the reel as intended though. I will likely get a new assembly in the future.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:22 PM

Where can I get this part...? Unfortunately the kinks in my cable make trying to reload it successfully not a possibility. A crease right near the end slug makes it pop out of the insert in the plastic reel.

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/...ures/41946.jpg

Last edited by fasteract7; 04-09-2016 at 06:26 PM.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:46 PM

Forgot to thank you for the reply. Your experience with the "windings" technique may prove helpful. Wish I could confirm the regulators for sell are the complete unit I pictured...
Old 04-09-2016, 07:01 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

I fought with mine for several hours last fall until I was at the point of dousing the car in gasoline and burning it. Once the cable is kinked it's game over.
I finally removed the entire driver's side regulator from my parts car and swapped it out. I was done in about 45 minutes and it has never worked better since I bought the car 8 years ago.
You should be able to find a used regulator for a very reasonable price. There are a lot of SVXs in junk yards with blown transmissions.
Old 04-10-2016, 05:56 AM

Does the part listed on Subaruparts.com and other sites under the heading "window regulator" for $99-$110( only as opposed to the $349 Dealers want) contain the cable/reel to motor setup with the clips on the wire?
Old 04-10-2016, 12:22 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

I ended up purchasing mine from quirkparts.com (whole assembly). Hardest part is getting the glass in alignment again.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:00 PM

#8 62101PA100 / REGULATOR, RIGHT (drivers) Does this look like what you ordered for about $99.71 ? Comes all set to attach to motor with plastic clips on cable...

THX

Last edited by fasteract7; 04-10-2016 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 04:06 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Where can I get this part...? Unfortunately the kinks in my cable make trying to reload it successfully not a possibility. A crease right near the end slug makes it pop out of the insert in the plastic reel.

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/...ures/41946.jpg
I have had great luck looking up parts on www.car-part.com

This is a junk yard network so all the parts are used of course.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:05 PM

Purchaes a new regulator, yet to arrive, and read the phantomomaku writeup for installation...anybody whose has done this installation want to chime in about the procedure..short cuts, problematic areas, other specific DIY links?

THX]
Old 04-20-2016, 04:19 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
#8 62101PA100 / REGULATOR, RIGHT (drivers) Does this look like what you ordered for about $99.71 ? Comes all set to attach to motor with plastic clips on cable...

THX
That looks like it. Came wrapped in plastic and was not all that hard to install. Biggest problem for me was that I had lost some screws holding the regulator motor assembly to the door. After that I used the factory service manual to find the window alignment procedures. That part was the biggest pain since there are many ways to move the window inside the door. After I put it together, minus the door-card, I went through a car-wash to see how much water leaked in. You could just use a hose but I went big lol.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:32 AM

C : ADJUSTMENT
"Using regulator mounting nut, adjust the installation
position of regulator, and adjust the door window glass
protrusion by turning adjusting screw"

Can you clarify this a bit for me..picture seems to show one of the lower 2 bolts that holds the rack in place. Window glass protrusion ???

Also, do I need to follow all the steps..remove outside trim, remove glass, etc. ?
Old 04-21-2016, 06:42 PM

Regulator DIY...Window regulator installation.

Job done...got part from Premier Subaru, Branford CT (Ron/Sean in parts) for about $100.00 shipped.

Not necessary to remove outer trim strip..removing the 2 window glass stabilizers gives enough room to remove glass and than regulator assembly.

The lower regulator studs screw in/out to adjust window "protrusion" per Service Manual. I measured with a Harbor freight slide caliper the protrusion of the 2 adjustable studs ( 7mm for ft one, 5.3mm for rear, in my instance) and swapped studs to new regulator using same numbers.

Thanks to all who responded to my plea for info.....