How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2016, 12:34 AM
Some Random Weirdo

Anyone ever try a different H6 engine for a swap?

Posted this on the FB page as well.

I had a question in regards to if anyone has tried swapping a different H6 Subaru engine into their SVX? I am talking mainly about either the 03-09 EZ30D (3.0L) or even the current EZ36D (3.6L).

I was looking at my 07 Outback with an H6 the other day to check the oil and it struck me that the engine looked like it could fit into an SVX rather easily. I know that the community solved the issue of the dreaded 4EAT transmission but I never saw anyone mention a different engine swap before.

"Drop an LS engine in it!"

Without putting some absurd engine into it that will cost a fortune I thought of this as a pretty good idea. The EG33 is a good engine, but there is a finite number of them. Parts are hard to come by and often we are asking each other for them. The other issue is we are seeing that these are also prone to head gasket issues that plagued all of those 2.5 H4 Subarus. There is also a timing belt in there rather than a chain.

The 3.0L has a chain and does not suffer from known head gasket failure. It's a marginal power increase at 245 HP with slightly less torque at 217. They are widely available though and parts are a lot easier to access.

I would guess it would be unlikely to use the 3.6L just on cost alone as you would have to get one on an 08 and up Tribeca or a 2010 and up Outback. If it works and fits though it gives slightly more power at 256 HP and 247 ft lb of torque.

Neither are engines that I am aware of that have a bunch of modifications to them but would offer more longevity if they could be used.

So does anyone know if these can be used in the SVX? Anyone tried this or at least researched it? I wouldn't do this on a working EG33 but if your engine goes or you need something just as costly like a head gasket this seems like it could be a good option if it is feasible. Thanks.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:15 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Anyone ever try a different H6 engine for a swap?

Either of the EZ motors will fit fine, they are actually smaller and lighter than the EG33, will bolt up to a SVX Tranny,....but will require custom wiring, especially with the "Drive by wire" on the EZ36's
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 04-27-2016, 05:41 AM

youll need an aftermarket ECU for the EZ because the crank and cam signals are different.
other than that everything else could be made to work with some ghetto modifications.

if you could put custom trigger wheels on that match the EG then your only issue would be the tune.
id stay away from the EZ30R as youll have to bodgy something to use the AVCS, which rules out custom trigger wheels as the cams would move and the ecu would lose sync.
The EZ30D would be the easy pick.
although going back to point 1 and given the effort involved, you may aswell throw in an after market ECU and go the EZ30R or the 36 if you can afford it.

neither of the EZ engines can take much boost or make high power as easily as the EG though. its built stronger in stock form and is far cheaper and easier to work on.

Last edited by Billsy; 04-27-2016 at 05:44 AM.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:19 PM

Registered SVX

have you looked at the involvement of pulling the timing cover at 200k to replace the tensioner / guides?

You will not want the newer stuff once you look into that issue.
97 SVX Lsi 70k
2003 s2000
91 RT4WD 166K