Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > 25th Anniversary Meet (2017)

Old 10-10-2016, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Exclamation 25th anniversary meet updates

MAY 6-8, 2017

Check SVXNATION

https://www.facebook.com/events/1113120295435810/?active_tab=discussion

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (45.0 KB, 1156 views)

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 02-09-2017 at 06:54 PM.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:57 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: 25th anniversary meet updates

Shari and I had a blast! It was great meeting a new, and newly invigorated group of SVX enthusiasts. It was like the "good ol' days" except for the fact that I just can't party like it's 1999 (when I had my first SVX). It was a little difficult for "Stock Boy" with all the different modifications, but, one creative young fellow had a "low rider" SVX with air bags, a TRAIN HORN and exhaust tips that went on forever (if you've ever hit your shins on a trailer hitch, in the dark, THIS is something you DON'T want) but, it was interesting.. I missed seeing a lot of the "old guard" -- specifically Larry and Rosie, and John Hoffman. And, just for the record, Larry, I met the stipulation that I must drive the Pace Car to the 25th Anniversary Meet. Thank You still seems so anemic. Being able to hear them fire up the ACTUAL Pace Car was an absolute TREAT. I just wanted to stop in and let everyone HERE know that I'm still around and that, obviously, I've been re-invigorated. I plan on stopping in more often and doing a bit more cheerleading. Looking forward to reconnecting with my ol' Network friends.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 05-12-2017, 07:13 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Thumbs up Re: 25th anniversary meet updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredubjay View Post
Shari and I had a blast! It was great meeting a new, and newly invigorated group of SVX enthusiasts. .

I'll use Randy's intro as a continuation of old timer comments. As we noted some new blood has spouted, & it's probably a good thing as preserving this funny-windowed vehicle may be best left to youngins' who still have the strength to turn a wheel bearing bolt.

The Batmobile got its biggest workout in over 5 years, and aside from a few Reading runs, it gets a weekly battery charge spin to town, & back. I only put about 5K on her in 5 years. But, the old beast must have known she was comin' home, so to speak, & got me to, & from Lafayette with a jog to Princeton, NJ along the way. Not one loose part was shed, & the trip showed me just what a highway cruiser should be. The oil was at the same level as it was (full) when I started out.

I'm not a big fan of the Facebook treatment of all things SVX, as it's like a return to Yahoo's scroll, but with pictures. No addressable forums as in here. But I suppose it appeals to those "on the go"; while my GO left the room long ago.

All things considered I enjoyed seeing, & reconnecting with the die-hards (you know who you are), & the new kids on the block. It seems the SVX spirit is alive & well regardless of who's listening for singin' bearings

Ron (Dying hardly).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:47 PM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Holy crap. At the meet You guys certainly didn't act as old as you're sounding!

Great meet. My baby is still in touring mode. In southern Ontario at the moment. Probably a couple thousand kilometres before we make it home.

I see Armando is home in California. How did trueblue (Ken) make out with his bearing?

I see Alycone is safe home after her crash. Poor gal.

Eric, did you find out what gremlins were making the click sounds?

Keep on truckin'.

Peter
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:51 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

An update (since you asked).

I auto-hauled my Pearlie back home. It was an ugly rainy drive for the first 250 miles and the Indiana roads were atrocious especially with a car hauler. Luckily it finally stopped when I got to Kentucky and the sun was actually out by the time I got back home.

Even though the consensus among everyone who helped was it was a wheel bearing problem, the fact that the sounds it was making weren't familiar to anyone didn't leave me warm and fuzzy. Hence why I hauled it back.

I took the Pearlie into the shop today. The mechanic did drive it with me along and it was making A LOT of odd noises - much worse and much more consistently than anything we heard in Lafayette.

Diagnosis was (surprise!) the wheel bearing. But possibly the hub could be damaged as well. He said he doubted it would have made it back the 500 miles without causing more damage.

They didn't have the parts in stock and the mechanic doesn't want to take it apart and tie up a lift without the parts so he won't know for certain just how bad it is until the parts come in and he can then disassemble it.

He did say it appears as though the front seal on the bearing is torn which likely is from an improper installation. That might also explain the abundance of grease Huck found in the brakes. The seal wasn't keeping the grease contained.

So wheel bearing and hub are on order. It may be next week before I find out the details of what all is wrong.

THANKS to everyone who assisted! I greatly appreciated the time and efforts you took to try to figure out the problem!

Eric D.

UPDATE:
Here's the Pearlie's final outcome. The wheel bearing was all but destroyed. All the grease was gone, probably due to the one seal being torn. Possibly from a bad installation but no way to know for sure. Without grease, the bearing had overheated, melted the internals and warped the wheel hub. When he took out the bearing, he said it pretty much fell to pieces on the shop floor. He was surprised the car had driven as far as it had with the bearing in that shape. No way it would have made it back driving with that bearing. He replaced the bearing, seals and hub.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pearlie Trip Home.jpg (219.2 KB, 1487 views)

Last edited by MCMXCII SVX; 05-22-2017 at 01:56 PM. Reason: updated with final outcome
Old 05-23-2017, 12:53 PM
Posting since Dec.'98

Registered SVX

Arrived home from the meet last night.

7238 kilometres round trip. ( aprox. 4500 miles.)

Needless to say we did some sightseeing along the way.

Great time at the meet!
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:59 PM
Posting since Dec.'98

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMXCII SVX View Post

UPDATE:
No way it would have made it back driving with that bearing.
Good thing you had the presence of mind to not drive it.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to trueblue
Registered SVX

Thanks for asking about trueblue. I made it home Tuesday afternoon in 100 degree heat that turned off my ac unit 50 miles from home. Engine temp was fine by the gauge. Bad sensor some place.
I stayed an extra day in Lafayette and had my bearing replaced by a local machanic who seamed familiar with the car and bearing problem. He said my old bearing had no grease left, but my hub was still good. It is still running smooth since the install 3000 miles ago.

The farther backward you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see. -Winston Churchill

My baby: 94 lsi
My fast baby: 2001 Suzuki Marauder
My new baby: 2010 Subaru Outback

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: