12.7v
13.0v
13.3v
13.7v
14.0v
14.3v
14.7v
15.0v

I know this is stuffed into the ECU's programming, I am just wondering if you have found it.

Also wondering if you have stumbled over the water temp correction maps?Cold start phasing?Cold start Primer?

The voltage correction time is crucial to my writing the base maps to the Nemesis. There is a VERY lengthy and boring procedure that I can do to get the correct values but i would love to avoid them if you have the data already

Tom
Sorry Tom,
I've only just seen this. I assume from your other thread that you've got all this figured out now?
I can see dozens of different maps in the ECU, the difficulty is in knowing what they represent.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 12-22-2008, 08:21 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Re: Memory dump of ECU

It uses a formula for voltage correction of the latency value so there is no table.

The starting fuel methodology will be different than for the nemisis as well so the starting pulse width, idle enrichment, and cold idle enrichment tables wouldn't be much use either.

The right way to do it for that system is to get the injector latency measured at all those voltages with the correct fuel pressure to be used. That's one of the advanced services at rc engineering.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:23 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrdjc View Post
Good to see there has been progress in the last few months, I more or less forgot about this whole project!

About the eavesdropping.. Where are you meant to get three female connectors? Strip them out of three cars? I had a look on the Molex website, but to no avail.

Also, can an idiots proof guide be written as to how to eavesdrop?
It looks a bit confusing to me
Also, do you connect it to B35, or to the ECU?

When you refer to SSM, do you mean the scanner available from Subaru?
or another pc with software like VWRX or Evoscan?

What are m and c in your calculations??

Cheers,
Daniel.
Welcome back.

This should help explain the eavesdropping:
http://www.alcyone.org.uk/ssm/eavesdrop.html

The idea is that you connect the eavesdrop cable in between your car and the Subaru dealer's Select Monitor tool. Then you can use your PC to listen to the communication between the Select Monitor and the car.

For each parameter, you can see which address the select monitor is querying. That's half the problem solved.

The other half of the problem is to figure out how to map the value that comes back from the ECU to the value that gets displayed on the select monitor screen. Most likely it will be a linear relationship. That means the equation will be y=mx+c. y is the select monitor value, x is the raw data, m is a multiplier and c is a constant. The values of m and c can be worked out by taking two readings and using "simultaneous equations".

You need to get the female connectors from a car breaker. I haven't found another source. If you can find a breaker with a 1st Gen Legacy then you are in luck because you can pull it's diagnostics connector and it's radio connector. They are the same.

It's not difficult to do. I'll be happy to take you through it step by step.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 12-22-2008, 08:50 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname View Post
It uses a formula for voltage correction of the latency value so there is no table.

The starting fuel methodology will be different than for the nemisis as well so the starting pulse width, idle enrichment, and cold idle enrichment tables wouldn't be much use either.

The right way to do it for that system is to get the injector latency measured at all those voltages with the correct fuel pressure to be used. That's one of the advanced services at rc engineering.

You are right, thats why I am still in the market for an adjustable voltage DC power source. This way I can actually find the injector response times...

I spent a long time writing the cold start fuel maps and cranking enrichment maps. They are actually very good the way I have written them. But the bad part is, I will likely need to do them all over again after I get the correct response times for the injectors... Thing is, regardless of close they may be, it is going to vary slightly from car to car due to age of the wiring harnesses and how much resistance they have lost or gained over the years. So it will need to be done for every car if you want it to be that precise. It really only needs to be done if one was to run VE mode in the Nemesis. VE mode doesn't really gain you anything excpet the ability to change injectors w/ the entry of a new flow rate into the system. But all thing considered... tuning in ms is much better IMHO

Tom
Old 12-22-2008, 08:54 AM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha View Post
Welcome back.

This should help explain the eavesdropping:
http://www.alcyone.org.uk/ssm/eavesdrop.html

The idea is that you connect the eavesdrop cable in between your car and the Subaru dealer's Select Monitor tool. Then you can use your PC to listen to the communication between the Select Monitor and the car.

For each parameter, you can see which address the select monitor is querying. That's half the problem solved.

The other half of the problem is to figure out how to map the value that comes back from the ECU to the value that gets displayed on the select monitor screen. Most likely it will be a linear relationship. That means the equation will be y=mx+c. y is the select monitor value, x is the raw data, m is a multiplier and c is a constant. The values of m and c can be worked out by taking two readings and using "simultaneous equations".

You need to get the female connectors from a car breaker. I haven't found another source. If you can find a breaker with a 1st Gen Legacy then you are in luck because you can pull it's diagnostics connector and it's radio connector. They are the same.

It's not difficult to do. I'll be happy to take you through it step by step.
If you need, I can ship my connector that I built... I am not using right now and would have no problem lending it if you need it

Tom
Old 12-22-2008, 09:00 AM
Just some dude.

a 47 cent trim pot connected to the battery being used to drive the system is an adjustable voltage dc power source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
You are right, thats why I am still in the market for an adjustable voltage DC power source. This way I can actually find the injector response times...

I spent a long time writing the cold start fuel maps and cranking enrichment maps. They are actually very good the way I have written them. But the bad part is, I will likely need to do them all over again after I get the correct response times for the injectors... Thing is, regardless of close they may be, it is going to vary slightly from car to car due to age of the wiring harnesses and how much resistance they have lost or gained over the years. So it will need to be done for every car if you want it to be that precise. It really only needs to be done if one was to run VE mode in the Nemesis. VE mode doesn't really gain you anything excpet the ability to change injectors w/ the entry of a new flow rate into the system. But all thing considered... tuning in ms is much better IMHO

Tom
Old 12-22-2008, 09:04 AM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
a 47 cent trim pot connected to the battery being used to drive the system is an adjustable voltage dc power source.
True, but it won't help me get over the 13.2v it is usually running at. A simple solution would be to use a 15v DC power adapter with a pot and a voltmeter... I am still waiting for my Delphi pins to show up. Once I have those I will be building a unit to do so.. I will also be wiring the harness for the TCU as well... But I am still waiting for 100 pins to show up at my door.

Tom
Old 12-22-2008, 09:16 AM
Just some dude.

two batteries connected in series makes 24 volts for the circuit you want the 15v on and you can still wire everything else connected to just the 1 battery for 12v. Two batteries will last better for your test anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
True, but it won't help me get over the 13.2v it is usually running at. A simple solution would be to use a 15v DC power adapter with a pot and a voltmeter... I am still waiting for my Delphi pins to show up. Once I have those I will be building a unit to do so.. I will also be wiring the harness for the TCU as well... But I am still waiting for 100 pins to show up at my door.

Tom
Old 12-22-2008, 03:13 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Can't really do it that way Mike. The series resistance of the pot will add to the circuit resistance to limit the current flow, that the injector needs to pull the pin.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:42 PM
Just some dude.

that's true it would be better to have the same voltage with and without load. how many amps do the injector coils draw?
Old 12-22-2008, 04:10 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
that's true it would be better to have the same voltage with and without load. how many amps do the injector coils draw?
They are 12 ohms, so they would pull a nominal 1 amp at 12 V. They are probably the only resistance in the circuit, but due to the inductance reactance of the coil the current rush would be less. You would need to check it on a scope.

Harvey.

Old 12-22-2008, 04:24 PM
Just some dude.

an lm338 is 5 amps i would think that would be plenty and you could just hook up a pot to control it
Old 12-22-2008, 04:25 PM
Just some dude.

well if it's only an amp then an lm317 would be enough
Old 12-22-2008, 04:26 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
an lm338 is 5 amps i would think that would be plenty and you could just hook up a pot to control it
Yes that would be an easy way to do it.

Harvey.

Old 12-22-2008, 04:28 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

I would use the bigger one as it would be 1.25amps at 15V.

Harvey.