Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-17-2010, 11:50 PM

Recurring Transmission Problems

Well, let's see. I've had lots of transmission problems in the past. Quick summary:

1) stock transmission was running in front wheel drive and caused front differential damage so I decided a replacement was in order.

2) this summer I replaced the stock transmission with a 4.11 final drive 95 legacy 4EAT. I used the original svx torque converter, which in retrospect was probably a bad idea. Anyway, about a month later there was transmission fluid leaking like a faucet out of the trans. Upon inspection LAN suggested that the pump had blown because of the metal fragments in the torque converter. I hypothesized that I probably knocked the TC out of position when I was getting the transmission into position during the installation. This would explain the monthish time frame I have read that it takes for the pump to blow when the TC is incorrectly installed. .... One more shot

3) thanksgiving break, I decide to replace the transmission with a 4.44 final drive 4EAT from an outback and also use the outback's TC. I also replaced the front main seal right off the bat to make sure this one would last. The install went smoothly and I triple checked that the TC was seated correctly right before the transmission and engine were bolted together. Then I put everything else back together. There seemed to be a difference in opinions about the amount of transmission fluid required. I've read that the transmission needs about 6 quarts of transmission fluid for a dry transmission (not including TC), I got about a gallon out when I drained the transmission, and the auto parts store said it needed 2 point something... So I decided to slowly add the fluid and continually check. After a couple quarts, the fluid level seemed correct so I started up the car. The level dropped, so I added a little more. After about 5-6 quarts, the level still dropped below readable levels on the dipstick once the car was running. I'm not sure if this was normal, but I figured it was okay.

Now, I take the car for a spin. The acceleration is much better with the 4.44, very cool. I drive around for about a mile and I start to see smoke following me. I get home as quickly and gently as I can. A faucet of transmission fluid is pouring out. This car is a great lesson in patience=). So I get it in the garage, and haven't really looked at it since.

The only thing I can think of is that the metal particles from the pump blowing up from the 4.11 transmission blocked the transmission filter. I didn't think to replace the filter and lines until after the 4.44 transmission started leaking. I figure that this blockage created so much pressure that it blew out the front seal and started leaking fluid.

I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas or thoughts about how to diagnose and hopefully fix my transmission. My only thought is to replace the lines in and out of the transmission and the filter and hope for the best. Or, yet again replacement...