Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain

Old 08-20-2012, 05:19 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Re: JDM driveline swap

Do the stand alone dccd controllers plug into oe harness connections? Not trying to talk myself into doing it--just thinking if it were me doing it to my own car I might find the idea attractive because it wouldn't require mangling any wiring harnesses.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:46 PM

Registered SVX

Not as far as I know. Mine would have if I would have taken the headers off of the TCU board.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:35 AM
Just some dude.

I would think that would make using the oe tcu as the dccd controller a pretty attractive idea. I wouldn't think you would have to mess with your main harness at all if you did that. You must be making an altered transmission harness already to connect the speed sensor or sensors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoontwo View Post
Not as far as I know. Mine would have if I would have taken the headers off of the TCU board.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:09 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname View Post
You must be making an altered transmission harness already to connect the speed sensor or sensors.
The six speed's speed sensor is in the same location as the auto. It is also the same style, so it just plugs in and works. It also gives the correct speed in the cabin.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:47 AM
Just some dude.

Meaning the 6 speed uses the same harness plug to the main harness just with a lot less pins actually used and the speed sensor pins are in the same place?

Does it have pins for the leads to the dccd controller?

Quote:
The six speed's speed sensor is in the same location as the auto. It is also the same style, so it just plugs in and works. It also gives the correct speed in the cabin.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:49 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname View Post
Meaning the 6 speed uses the same harness plug to the main harness just with a lot less pins actually used and the speed sensor pins are in the same place?

Does it have pins for the leads to the dccd controller?
No. Just the speed sensor. The speed sensor is identical to the SVX one. There is a 6 pin connector on the 6 speed for Reverse, Neutral, and DCCD.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:02 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

^ The speed sensor is VSS2 which is separate from the transmission harness.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 08-27-2012, 12:00 PM

while you guys are talking speed sensors, the factory dccd set up has a 2nd speed sensor on the diff and the vtd auto has a 2nd speed sensor on the tailshaft out put
93 Liquid Silver SVX - sti 6 speed with R180 diff, my05 sti steering wheel, sti alloy lateral links, 19x8.5 275/30 42mm offset front and 19x8.5 275/30 22mm offset on the rear, 6 pot brembo caliper with 355 rotors front, 2 pot brembos rear
95 bright red SVX
96 emerald pearl SVX about to revive
Old 08-27-2012, 01:00 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'E' View Post
while you guys are talking speed sensors, the factory dccd set up has a 2nd speed sensor on the diff and the vtd auto has a 2nd speed sensor on the tailshaft out put
If you don't mind me asking, where is the first? My 2006 and the 2007 6 speeds only have one speed sensor on the transmission. Are you talking about using the ABS sensor the factory set up?
Old 08-27-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
No. Just the speed sensor. The speed sensor is identical to the SVX one. There is a 6 pin connector on the 6 speed for Reverse, Neutral, and DCCD.
Also if you are not connecting DCCD (which it is not required to hook it up, no damage will be done running without it) you can use the wiring from any other manual transmission to run to the reverse and neutral plugs and bypass the 6-speed plug if you have trouble finding the matching DCCD connector. That way you can wire the transmission in with factory connectors to the reverse and neutral switches and just leave the harness for the DCCD sitting on the transmission where it is.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
If you don't mind me asking, where is the first? My 2006 and the 2007 6 speeds only have one speed sensor on the transmission. Are you talking about using the ABS sensor the factory set up?
my bad its an oil temp sensor for the dccd system.

this link explains everything pretty well

http://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/show...-info-and-FAQs
93 Liquid Silver SVX - sti 6 speed with R180 diff, my05 sti steering wheel, sti alloy lateral links, 19x8.5 275/30 42mm offset front and 19x8.5 275/30 22mm offset on the rear, 6 pot brembo caliper with 355 rotors front, 2 pot brembos rear
95 bright red SVX
Old 08-28-2012, 05:26 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'E' View Post
my bad its an oil temp sensor for the dccd system.

this link explains everything pretty well

http://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/show...-info-and-FAQs
After looking over that, it does tap into the abs signals for the factory setup. What would you do for an automatic/manual switch if one is deisred? Or the e-brake cutout? Lastly, what about the lateral G/Yaw rate sensor?

I'm not trying to put you or Mike off on doing this, but the factory tcu without adding anything to the system will make a very crude DCCD controller. It would have to be always on, and would only be able to vary the amount of lock by using the TPS.

Last edited by dragoontwo; 08-28-2012 at 06:21 AM.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:45 AM

Quote:
After looking over that, it does tap into the abs signals for the factory setup. What would you do for an automatic/manual switch if one is deisred? Or the e-brake cutout? Lastly, what about the lateral G/Yaw rate sensor?

I'm not trying to put you or Mike off on doing this, but the factory tcu without adding anything to the system will make a very crude DCCD controller. It would have to be always on, and would only be able to vary the amount of lock by using the TPS.
you could use the factory auto/manual switch and the thumb wheel, the auto/manual switch basically disengages dccd ecu and just moves control of the centre diff from the computer to the driver, the thumb wheel just varies current to the electro magnetic clutch in the centre diff.

what does the vtd tcu do for g/yaw? maybe it just uses abs input (and prop shaft speed sensor) to control torque split i'm pretty sure the tcu ties in to the abs module and many of the other sensors that the dccd ecu does

having owned a 05 sti with dccd versus a svx with vtd i found that the only time i used the manual part of the dccd was when i was trying to do burn outs or going side ways around corners but the majority of the time it was in auto but having the choice was good, where as in the svx i loved the feeling of hooking into a corner flooring it with the back end drifting out in a controlled manner before straightening up down the road, it was like the best of both manual and auto modes of dccd with out having to do anything, auto dccd is just a little to controlled for me and fiddling with i dial and driving at the same time is a bit clumsy but the option to dial in a setting for a specific purpose is handy

i like the idea of adapting our tcu to do this for us keeping things looking stock harness wise, torque split could be shown through the dash where the prnd321 indicator is with out playing with wiring and it would possibly be an easier plug and play option for dccd installs for 5 or 6 speed boxes. we have to buy an after market controller from dccdpro and the likes so why not adapt our tcu and pay someone (mike) for it
95 bright red SVX
Old 08-30-2012, 06:46 AM

Registered SVX

While I can not speak for the VTD transmission, I can tell you a few things about what I see for the US model. It does tie into the ABS signal, but it is only looking to see if the ABS is working to put a set pressure to the AWD clutch. There is no G or Yaw sensor in the system. It uses the Delta between VSS1(tailshaft speed) and VSS2(front differential) to see what the split is and help adjust it with the help of other sensors on the engine.

You could use the manual switch as an on/off, but there is no factory thumbwheel in the SVX.

I'm not sure how Mike would feel about having to program inputs that don't currently exist on the car. He will have to chime in about that.

I have never had the chance to drive a car with the stock DCCD system, so I can't speak to that. In all honesty, I will likely not use it until there is inclement weather here.

One last thing.... Maybe there should be a new thread for this discussion so as not to clutter up Mike's thread.

Last edited by dragoontwo; 08-30-2012 at 06:49 AM.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:16 AM

you would just use factory thumb wheel from the sti as an add on to the svx system

from my part its just an idea, i do not have the know how to re program firmware which is why i suggested to pay mike for it if he was interested

sorry to clutter your thread mike
95 bright red SVX