Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Other Mods

Old 07-16-2012, 03:29 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Weight reduction thread

wrx 5 speed.

edit*

Thats what the PO told me.

Just hot the trans code. Its a 02 Forester 5 speed with 4.11.

Last edited by vagabond; 07-16-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:28 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboy View Post
Uuuh Nikfu's tuning sounds like more bang for the buck to be honest
I've also removed the A/C, muffler, and have a light battery and wheels. When i take the passenger seat out I'm down something like 95-100lbs from stock.

I don't remember the 5mt/4spd difference, but with a fiberglass hood i should be down at least 120. Mind you some mods add weight, like sway bars, LGT gears, high performance wide tires...

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.

Last edited by NikFu S.; 07-18-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:38 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikFu S. View Post
I don't remember the 5mt/4spd difference, but with a fiberglass hood i should be down at least 120. Mind you some mods add weight, like sway bars, LGT gears, high performance wide tires...
5 spd weighs in a 125# plus weight of clutch, pressure plate and flywheel. phase 1 4eat weighs in at 250 lbs. Remember though, this is low end weight and will raise the center of gravity on the car.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:07 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
5 spd weighs in a 125# plus weight of clutch, pressure plate and flywheel. phase 1 4eat weighs in at 250 lbs. Remember though, this is low end weight and will raise the center of gravity on the car.
Not to mention it'll push that weight distribution forward and rearward even more than it is already.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:24 PM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX

Posting from
a phone is a Pita.

Last edited by NikFu S.; 07-23-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:26 PM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX

Which only positively affects acceleration, and only negatively effects body roll and MAYBE understeer.
the weight distribution may be slightly disturbed but i don't believe it should count as a negative.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Which only positively affects acceleration, and only negatively effects body roll and MAYBE understeer.
the weight distribution may be slightly disturbed but i don't believe it should count as a negative.

Sory there is no MAYBE in yes it does. Coming from one of the builders of ther lightest SVXs ever I'd say I'm quite versed in the subject. Only counts as a negative if you drive anywhere but a 1/4 mile strip and the sad reality is even with a 800lbs weight loss you'd still be loosing to a stock civic in a drag race.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:55 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
Sory there is no MAYBE in yes it does. Coming from one of the builders of ther lightest SVXs ever I'd say I'm quite versed in the subject. Only counts as a negative if you drive anywhere but a 1/4 mile strip and the sad reality is even with a 800lbs weight loss you'd still be loosing to a stock civic in a drag race.
So what would you do differently? Let's say you had an SVX with a motor with as much power as you ask for. Where would you go from there?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 07-24-2012, 03:52 PM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX

Quote:
My take on it is it ONLY counts as a negative if you need to sling the car around an autocross course, which we may agree is a futile effort to begin with. In every other scenario that point will not apply, but i dare say having a lighter car in general is a plus in all cases, especially daily driving and drag racing.

Honestly, with the MT i have no trouble at all with understeer. in fact i get gratuitous overtseer in situations where i apply power into a corner just because of the power distribution, with the exception of autocross.

Last edited by NikFu S.; 07-24-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:32 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
My take on it is it ONLY counts as a negative if you need to sling the car around an autocross course, which we may agree is a futile effort to begin with. In every other scenario that point will not apply, but i dare say having a lighter car in general is a plus in all cases, especially daily driving and drag racing.

Honestly, with the MT i have no trouble at all with understeer. in fact i get gratuitous overtseer in situations where i apply power into a corner just because of the power distribution, with the exception of autocross.
Higher COG is still a negative, no matter how you look at it. The weight savings and not having the parasitic loss of an auto are positives.
When you choose whether or not to do something, you weigh out the positives vs negatives. So, yes, higher center of gravity is still a negative but it is greatly outweighed in almost every other aspect by the positives gained by doing a manual swap.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:

Oversteer in a SVX. That's the funniest thing I heard in months. No wait, your serious... its the funniest thing I've heard in years. There is nothing futile about autoxing anything. Now drag racing an SVX in anything but a bracket race then you're talking futile.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
So what would you do differently? Let's say you had an SVX with a motor with as much power as you ask for. Where would you go from there?
Sell it and buy something with a community which supported it. The car is plenty capable of holding its own in the right racing circuits.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:34 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Sell it and buy something with a community which supported it. The car is plenty capable of holding its own in the right racing circuits.
Of all the possible answers you could have given, this was by far the least helpful.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 07-24-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Of all the possible answers you could have given, this was by far the least helpful.
Yeah, truth hurts and it is very helpful it can save boat loads of money.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:22 PM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
Higher COG is still a negative, no matter how you look at it. The weight savings and not having the parasitic loss of an auto are positives.
When you choose whether or not to do something, you weigh out the positives vs negatives. So, yes, higher center of gravity is still a negative but it is greatly outweighed in almost every other aspect by the positives gained by doing a manual swap.
I think it's more subjective than that, but you are stating your opinion more elegantly than I mine. A higher COG is certainly a negative for some people, but for many it is not even worth consideration.

Ben, I will be happy to demonstrate power oversteer in the SVX for you. I am also acknowledging the understeer that is all too common in our SVXing lives. My car still has it.