How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-19-2011, 05:39 PM

Re: Painting the SVX...which color?

http://www.scoobyphotos.eclipse.co.u...ll/rb5_975.jpg

Subaru impreza RB5, one of the best gray/blues I've seen. Might be the same blue steel talked about.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:56 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Geoff Send a message via Yahoo to Geoff
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT6Wagon View Post
http://www.scoobyphotos.eclipse.co.u...ll/rb5_975.jpg

Subaru impreza RB5, one of the best gray/blues I've seen. Might be the same blue steel talked about.
Yep, the RB5 is Steel Blue Mica.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to StatGSR

Suzuka Blue

Old 01-19-2011, 10:29 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
Yep, the RB5 is Steel Blue Mica.
Seems like this is a color you have to really see in person. Those are usually the best ones
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 01-19-2011, 10:51 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Geoff, whatever color you chose, you know you will have to strip everything to the bare metal and paint it inside out? Especially the engine bay right?

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:52 PM

Registered SVX

Haha, just stumbled onto this by clicking the link in silverspear's sig: http://img283.imageshack.us/i/pcp1010374sz2.jpg/

Metallic gray looks like a good color to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pcp1010374sz2.jpg (667.7 KB, 511 views)
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 01-20-2011, 12:14 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
Geoff, whatever color you chose, you know you will have to strip everything to the bare metal and paint it inside out? Especially the engine bay right?
The engine bay isn't painted to match the color of the car right now, so this is false. In addition, I don't care what color it is under the carpets. The fenders/bumper/tail lights and door cards will all be removed prior to painting.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:57 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001

From my experience, admittedly limited, a paintshop won't sand down to bare metal unless absolutely necessary. If they have a good base, meaning no dents/rust or other abrasions they will lightly sand, prime and paint (it may be a cost cutting technique, but still makes sense in turns of why mess up an otherwise good foundation).

I went with porsche arctic silver, originally claret, I kept the black roof and made the rest of the body the silver. The one thing I caution is that just because one color looks amazing on a certain car, in my opinion the porsche, doesn't necessarily mean it will look just as amazing on yours/the svx. Don't get me wrong, I really do like the color it's just not as dramatic as it appears on the porsche, a much curvier body. In all honesty, the arctic silver on the svx looks very similar to the stock silver, maybe a little lighter.

That being said, I know they didn't sand my car down to bar metal and it still came out fine. There are imperfections such as swirls, but the average person wouldn't notice. I am just super anal with it. I paid enough as it was to have it done. The one shop that explained their process, that would sand down to bare metal, would charge over $10,000. It was a very reputable shop, numerous spots in auto mags so I am sure their reputation had something to do with the price, but still.

Eitherway, good luck with your color choice! I liked option 2.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:32 PM

Kind of ironic... the car you have there has a black roof, and laguna blue parts. I've long wished Laguna Blue SVXs had black roofs.

I have never been a fan of grayscale, (grays, silvers, black or white) mostly because the sky and ground are gray half the year around here... and in the winter, I want to see some color, so my car might as well be a color.

I love the BMW 5 series Interlagos Blue color you showed an example of. Blue is one of my favorite colors anyway.

I do like red, also. My two favorite choices for an SVX would probably be something like that Interlagos blue... something between really dark navy blue, or really bright primary color blue like World Rally Blue Pearl. Interlagos would be a great color. Somewhat like a blue alternative to Claret Red.

The other of my choices would be Garnet or Ruby red pearl, from modern Subarus, or maybe Velocity Red Mica, from Mazda. Something a bit deeper and slightly darker than Brilliant red.

I think the SVX has kind of a cool design, rather than a flashy hot design. I'd be tempted to use a warm color on it, such as a red. But blue would look fantastic, too.

One of my other favorite cars, the Z32 300ZX is a hotter, flashier design, which I would probably go with a cooler blue color, such as the interlagos blue you showed there.

Out of your list, I would definitely choose the Interlagos Blue. That is just me.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:16 PM

Registered SVX

If I still had the '94, I'd likely do an Interlagos blue...but since the car's base is already a silver, I'll likely take the advice of guys here and go with the Sparkling Graphite.

We've got no shortage of sun/sunny days here.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:49 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
If I still had the '94, I'd likely do an Interlagos blue...but since the car's base is already a silver, I'll likely take the advice of guys here and go with the Sparkling Graphite.

We've got no shortage of sun/sunny days here.
in a few months maybe you'll see a similar thread to help me select a blue color for my car. But the roof will be painted black too.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:28 PM

Registered SVX

I still think The OEM Pearly white's with the black tops are the hottest.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:42 PM
Im REALLY addicted! CANT STOP!

Send a message via MSN to mysvxrocks Send a message via Yahoo to mysvxrocks

To me, I think that blue looks REALLY good with the silver. I like blue, so thats what I would do. Paint it the stock Laguna blue (any maybe keep the trunk/roof tops black) and keep the rims that are on there. Just my taste though.

2006 Infra-Red Ford Focus ZX3 ~ 67k

No longer SVX'n, Ill always miss them!

1995 Polo Green LS-i ~ 95k
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~ 145k (04/91) #2231
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
Old 01-27-2011, 10:51 PM

I don't like white cars in general, but I would love a pearlie SVX... I don't know why I like white SVXs when I don't like other cars in white.

But a laguna blue, or almost any medium to darkish blue, with a black roof and trunk would be awesome, especially with the tinted glass. I so wish the Lagunas had been two-tone. I wholeheartedly second the laguna blue with black roof idea, if that is an option for you. I wish it were an option for me. The silver BBS look nice. So would a couple of other aftermarket options, something in black or gunmetal gray, with bright polished aluminum face treatment.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.

Last edited by BoxerFanatic; 01-27-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:16 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

I'm a sucker for black myself... I really love the stock Ebony Mica colour with the red metallic in it. When I do paint mine I'll be sticking with one of Subaru's OEM blacks, either the SVX's Ebony Mica, or possibly the Java Black Pearl or Onyx Black Metallic used on STi's. To me nothing looks better than a black car under the lights at night, especially with some gold wheels on it .

That being said, black is an absurdly high maintenance colour. As soon as you look at the car it's dirty and you always have to take the utmost care while washing it to avoid swirls. Correction, to minimize swirls, because they're going to happen.

Any other colour (except perhaps dark blues) looks best with the two tone black roof/trunk, and tint.

Java Black:

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Last edited by Crazy_pilot; 01-28-2011 at 12:39 AM.