Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2010, 11:26 AM

Just started 5-speed swap, few q's

Hey there. I haven't been on here in a while cause my SVX has been parked. Last winter I blew the front diff, so I'm just now finally getting around to doing the 5-speed swap. I got what I thought was everything I need out of a 93 impreza, but hit my first issue. I was going to just swap the rear diff in and forget about the LSD, but the axles were different, so I took both diffs apart, and come to find out its a different size ring gear in the impreza diff. I just ordered a diff out of an 08 impreza on ebay, which looks like it should work cause it has the same style housing with the bolt-on carrier bearings instead of the threaded in ones, so if anyone can confirm that that diff will work, and I can swap my LSD into it? Also, I'm about to pull the old auto trans out of the car, so hopefully I won't have an issue with the axles or anything on that end. I already know about modifying the pedal and shifter linkage, so no problems there. Any other issues I should be prepared to run into? Thanks.

Mike
91 Marcury Cougar, 393" stroker, completely insane!
89 Mercury Cougar XR7, supercharged V6/5-speed, one of 2209. Engine currently dead, replacement in garage being rebuilt.
80 Pontiac Firebird formula, 350TPI swapped in, car needs to be finished.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:21 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Just started 5-speed swap, few q's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenderhead View Post
Hey there. I haven't been on here in a while cause my SVX has been parked. Last winter I blew the front diff, so I'm just now finally getting around to doing the 5-speed swap. I got what I thought was everything I need out of a 93 impreza, but hit my first issue. I was going to just swap the rear diff in and forget about the LSD, but the axles were different, so I took both diffs apart, and come to find out its a different size ring gear in the impreza diff. I just ordered a diff out of an 08 impreza on ebay, which looks like it should work cause it has the same style housing with the bolt-on carrier bearings instead of the threaded in ones, so if anyone can confirm that that diff will work, and I can swap my LSD into it? Also, I'm about to pull the old auto trans out of the car, so hopefully I won't have an issue with the axles or anything on that end. I already know about modifying the pedal and shifter linkage, so no problems there. Any other issues I should be prepared to run into? Thanks.

Mike
The New Diff should swap with your LSD carrier...but is it the same ratio as your 5-speed?

Is your 5-speed a 4.11 0r a 3.90?
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 10-24-2010, 09:09 PM

Re: Just started 5-speed swap, few q's

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck369 View Post
The New Diff should swap with your LSD carrier...but is it the same ratio as your 5-speed?

Is your 5-speed a 4.11 0r a 3.90?
It is a 4.11, and yes at this point I will swap my carrier into the new diff once it arrives. I was just worried because in all the threads I never found anything about there being 2 different size diffs, so hopefully the one I just ordered will work. Despite wasting several hours on the diff today, I did get the old auto trans out, so now I have to rummage through the shop and find the flywheel and clutch pedal, and hopefully at least get the 5-speed trans bolted up in the car next weekend.
91 Marcury Cougar, 393" stroker, completely insane!
89 Mercury Cougar XR7, supercharged V6/5-speed, one of 2209. Engine currently dead, replacement in garage being rebuilt.
80 Pontiac Firebird formula, 350TPI swapped in, car needs to be finished.