Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-28-2010, 07:48 AM

Brake Trouble Light

I have a 94 LSi, and yesterday the brake diagnostic trouble light came on after having to do a hard braking, and then today the brakes go all the way to the floorboard and I have nothing for brakes. I've checked through the how-to-documents but can't find a way to diagnose the brake trouble light. That's where I went to find out the way to pull my check engine light codes, but how do I do the brake trouble codes. I haven't had a chance to even look at it yet, I just made sure my brake fluid resivior is full and it is. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 05-28-2010, 10:27 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Brake Trouble Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfast80 View Post
I have a 94 LSi, and yesterday the brake diagnostic trouble light came on after having to do a hard braking, and then today the brakes go all the way to the floorboard and I have nothing for brakes. I've checked through the how-to-documents but can't find a way to diagnose the brake trouble light. That's where I went to find out the way to pull my check engine light codes, but how do I do the brake trouble codes. I haven't had a chance to even look at it yet, I just made sure my brake fluid resivior is full and it is. Anyone have any ideas?
You are POSITIVE your fluid reservoir is full.... as in popped off the lid and looked into it instead of looking from the side? Your symptoms match a brake fluid leak and an empty reservoir. If it is full, then you need to check all 4 wheels and see if it is leaking out of one of your calipers, then check the master cylinder by looking under the dash to where your brake pedal connects to the MC to see if any fluid is leaking there.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:28 PM

Okay, I am a technician as a profession, so my main question was mainly about checking brake light trouble codes. I'm confident that there is a physical problem and it's not an electrical issue, but sense there is a code, I would like to know how to check it. But thanks for your input, I just have to find time to put it up on my hoist.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:12 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfast80 View Post
Okay, I am a technician as a profession, so my main question was mainly about checking brake light trouble codes. I'm confident that there is a physical problem and it's not an electrical issue, but sense there is a code, I would like to know how to check it. But thanks for your input, I just have to find time to put it up on my hoist.
The ABS system has trouble codes, I believe the "Brake" warning light is a simple on/off warning system.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:14 PM

Sounds good, thank you for the reply, and I will post my findings upon further inspection. Thank you.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:40 PM

Cool Re: Brake Trouble Light

Check the screw off cover on the brake fluid viewing area, I remember a posting many years ago stating that if the rubber cap inside the lid was deformed them that causes air-entrapment which sometimes falsly triggers the brake warning light....

Will let someone else confirm with posting number...

Steve in NZ
Old 05-30-2010, 12:49 PM

found it -

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ault#post91396

enjoy.................
Old 05-30-2010, 01:47 PM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX

Found this on www.svx-iw.com. I think this answers your question.

The following self diagnosis will show any fault codes for the engine:
Drive the vehicle at speeds greater then 30kph/19mph for at least one minute. The vehicle must be stopped with the engine running.
If a problem is detected the ABS warning light in the instrument panel will come on. Approximately 5 - 12 seconds after the warning light has come on, the ABS control unit LED will flash the error code.
Note: Both the warning light and the LED remain activated unless the ignition is turned off. Turning the ignition off will erase any codes stored in memory.

Note: Only one trouble code is displayed at a time. If multiple problems exist only the first problem detected is displayed.

List of ABS Trouble Codes
Trouble Code Contents of diagnosis
0 (LED off) Improper power line voltage or faulty harness
1 Broken or shorted solenoid valve circuit(s) in hydraulic unit Left front wheel control
2 Right front wheel control
3 Right rear wheel control
4 Left rear wheel control
5 Faulty wheel ABS sensor Left front wheel speed
6 Right front wheel speed
7 Right rear wheel speed
8 Left rear wheel speed
9 Faulty motor and/or motor relay or broken or shorted harness circuit
10 Faulty valve relay or broken or shorted harness circuit
Faulty valve relay or broken or shorted harness, or interrupted ABS (causing brakes to function as a conventional brake system)
Unidentified fault that is not equivalent to trouble codes 1 - 16
16 Faulty ABS control unit or broken or shorted harness circuit
Faulty ABS control unit or broken or shorted harness, or malfunctioning system or line unidentified by vehicle ABS sensor fail-safe function