SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-16-2010, 07:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: 1992 svx with electrical issues

Hello-

Please let me know if you need any in-person assistance. I live in Meadville and have been around svxs for quite some time.

Cheers,

Mike
2001 Audi S8
Old 04-17-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrecess View Post
Hello,

I was told about disconnecting the battery by a friend of mine... I did some reading before I thought about trying it, and apparently you should NEVER disconnect the battery while the car is running, as it can cause an electrical overcharge and result in a electrical explosion. If no explosion happens, it is also very possible that the computer system could be fried. So I'm not going to do that test.

I have the alternator out. When I took it out I noticed the bolt that holds the battery leads was broken off.

-.-.
Well, suggesting you disconnect the battery to verify if your alternator was bad has been around a long time. It is a quick and simple check with little to no damage or danger (depending). Batteries will gas when they have been over charged or charged for long periods that hydrogen gas is flamable, yes. You can hear a battery when it is being overcharged because it sounds like it is bubbling internally. It is very unlikely that you would cause an explosion and actually everytime you jump start it you would be basically running the same risk or greater.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:50 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowise View Post
Well, suggesting you disconnect the battery to verify if your alternator was bad has been around a long time. It is a quick and simple check with little to no damage or danger (depending). Batteries will gas when they have been over charged or charged for long periods that hydrogen gas is flamable, yes. You can hear a battery when it is being overcharged because it sounds like it is bubbling internally. It is very unlikely that you would cause an explosion and actually everytime you jump start it you would be basically running the same risk or greater.
No, no, do not run the car with the battery disconnected in order to check on a likely faulty alternator.

The idea of disconnecting the battery and running on the alternator has certainly been around for a very long time, because it originated in the days when cars had no electronic or sensitive equipment.

If the alternator is faulty, or the auxiliary wiring to the alternator or connections are faulty, without a battery as a load, the alternator can deliver high voltage spikes, or even a continuous high voltage. As a result numerous electronic control devices are at extreme risk.

This is fact not fiction. Members here have experienced and reported voltage run away as a result of alternator regulator failure, and this has proven very, very costly.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 04-17-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
No, no, do not run the car with the battery disconnected in order to check on a likely faulty alternator.

The idea of disconnecting the battery and running on the alternator has certainly been around for a very long time, because it originated in the days when cars had no electronic or sensitive equipment.

If the alternator is faulty, or the auxiliary wiring to the alternator or connections are faulty, without a battery as a load, the alternator can deliver high voltage spikes, or even a continuous high voltage. As a result numerous electronic control devices are at extreme risk.

This is fact not fiction. Members here have experienced and reported voltage run away as a result of alternator regulator failure, and this has proven very, very costly.
Actually your caution in this scenario is based on factors that he was not describing. His issue was not an over charge and not descriptive of a wiring issue. It was a Non charging issue. Most alternators output is regulated at a maximum of 14.4vdc. It is about proving that the alternator was not charging the battery. And an alternator or voltage regulator that has run away will cause damage regardless if not dealt with right away and I don't know why or if these other members were doing this disconnect to cause their very costly damage. I understand caution but I also understand common sense and logic. Most of these guys asking the questions don't own multimeters and many take their car to a dealer or similar shop to have even basic work done so if there is a simple check they can do to save time and money based on their symptoms then I don't see anything wrong with that. Regardless it is still a valid check for validating that an alternator is not charging when the car dies and the battery is dead or low and has to be charged or jumped to restart. If you don't like it or disagree or feel it is unsafe then don't do it. To me this is starting to sound too much like the arguement for and against light weight pulleys. Some are for it some are against it.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:36 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowise View Post
Actually your caution in this scenario is based on factors that he was not describing. His issue was not an over charge and not descriptive of a wiring issue. It was a Non charging issue. Most alternators output is regulated at a maximum of 14.4vdc. It is about proving that the alternator was not charging the battery. And an alternator or voltage regulator that has run away will cause damage regardless if not dealt with right away and I don't know why or if these other members were doing this disconnect to cause their very costly damage. I understand caution but I also understand common sense and logic. Most of these guys asking the questions don't own multimeters and many take their car to a dealer or similar shop to have even basic work done so if there is a simple check they can do to save time and money based on their symptoms then I don't see anything wrong with that. Regardless it is still a valid check for validating that an alternator is not charging when the car dies and the battery is dead or low and has to be charged or jumped to restart. If you don't like it or disagree or feel it is unsafe then don't do it. To me this is starting to sound too much like the arguement for and against light weight pulleys. Some are for it some are against it.
A definitive statement was made which a non technical reader can assume was authoritative and accurate, particularly in view of your subjective title. There was no suggestion of doubt or choice. --- “Definitely sounds like an alternator issue. When you do get the car to start disconnect your battery while it is running, if the car dies your alternator isn't charging.”

You now state. --- “If you don't like it or disagree or feel it is unsafe then don't do it. To me this is starting to sound too much like the arguement for and against light weight pulleys. Some are for it some are against it.”

My caution applied in respect of any non charging issue. You describe the test as a check on an alternator which may not be charging, therefore it is logical that a faulty alternator is involved.

The fault could be within the alternator and effect the voltage regulation in several ways. An intermittent connection could cause voltage spikes. The external voltage sensing circuit to the battery, could be open, resulting in no voltage regulation. Several possibilities can result in output not being limited to 14.4 volts D.C. Furthermore, in the common event that any diodes in the rectifier bank are shot, the output will involve alternating current.

N.B. In this instance there is no argument, simply right and wrong.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 04-20-2010, 10:57 AM

Wow, I see I have started quite a discussion.

Regardless of whether or not it is a valid check, I still felt like, given the possibility that something MAY happen, I would rather avoid it if at all possible. This is why I disconnected the alternator and took it to AutoZone to have them test it, rather than doing something that, it has been argued, has the potential to damage the electrical system of my SVX. I would also advise others not to do it, based on that same risk.

Regardless. I have found a clear picture of the other issue I have:

The indicated pulley is the tensioner pulley, the bolt behind it that allows it to go up and down (and therefore adjust the tension on the bolt) is what broke. I have a temporary fix in to hold it stable, but I really need the 8mmx1.25 reverse threaded bolt to put back in it :S.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SVX Front Left 30belt indicated.jpg (34.6 KB, 89 views)
Old 04-20-2010, 12:52 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Just be careful with those alternators from your local parts store. Many are known to be faulty right out of the box or fail within months. Hence the lifetime warranty or else no one would ever buy them because they know you have to buy 2 or 3 until you get one that will actually last.