Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2009, 02:42 PM
Mechanically worthless Man : )

Registered SVX
Re: Nicest thing that ever happened to my SVX!

I did a lil Ebay hunting, also there was a thread on here that was relativley decent, i just cant find the thread again. The ebay store i found was aprox. 50$ for each low and high beams and came with your choice of temp.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:15 PM

Yellow Fog!

I agree with the color concept. Yellow is better in fog and snow and in VT. I have plenty of both. I will look into the HID's. Sounds like I would need them as well up here. Alot of dark roads and deer! Better safe than sorry. Color combo would be interesting.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:49 PM

http://www.ddmtuning.com/ap55wwesa.html

5000 more natural...
6000 whiter...
(I think)

Keith
Old 02-03-2009, 07:56 PM
Mechanically worthless Man : )

Registered SVX

Thanx for the website, I would trust that site over most of the ebay sites, I would def go with the 55w. What is the best color for vision and to give your car that slight blue look? and also are these easy to install, keep in mind i have a hard time changing windshield wipers
Old 02-03-2009, 07:59 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldnwoody44 View Post
Thanx for the website, I would trust that site over most of the ebay sites, I would def go with the 55w. What is the best color for vision and to give your car that slight blue look? and also are these easy to install, keep in mind i have a hard time changing windshield wipers
The temperature is what defines what color it is. Anything above 6000K will start to have blue/violet hues.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:35 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

I would suggest 5000k.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:40 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

5000K is very pure white. 6000K (which I have) has a touch of blue. Enough to let people know they are actual Xenon HID's, not cheap painted bulbs. When you get into the 8000K range they start to turn purple, and into the 12-13000K region they're more greenish.

I love my 6000K HIDs. The only problem is that the first time you use them the colour of the light on objects ahead of you is a bit disorienting. Grass doesn't look like it should. After a few minutes you don't even notice anymore.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 02-03-2009, 09:37 PM

Registered SVX

Around 4300K gives you the most usable light and anything above that you start to lose lumens.
Kool Blue air filter, 4500k HID's, airbox mod, Hella horns, WRX 6 disc stereo, Infinity Reference and Clarion Pro Audio speakers, Infinity basslink sub, ECUtune Stage 1v5, ECUtune TCU, Power mode mod, Mad muffler mod v1.3
Old 02-04-2009, 01:03 AM

I did the 55w 5000.
I would recommend the 55w over the 45w.

Keith
Old 02-05-2009, 05:15 AM
SVX- My daily driving Corvette

Send a message via AIM to CorSVXette
Classic SVX

I had to read this thread twice before I posted this. How come no one mentioned OT and his website for these lights? Why go somewhere else when you can get them from a trusted source from a fellow SVX'er? Did I miss something here Are you guys mad at Tom
1995 Corolla
2003 Highlander
Old 02-05-2009, 06:07 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX
Thumbs up Re: Nicest thing that ever happened to my SVX!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorSVXette View Post
I had to read this thread twice before I posted this. How come no one mentioned OT and his website for these lights? Why go somewhere else when you can get them from a trusted source from a fellow SVX'er? Did I miss something here Are you guys mad at Tom
LOL! Most people are cheap... I went to OT for my lights, then again, I go to OT for everything..

With OT's lights, you can trust that your lights wont crap out on you.. I'd rather spend the extra money and get a quality product rather than spending cash, waiting 6 weeks, having them not work, sending back, waiting another 6 weeks, they're the wrong color, etc, etc....

I say if your going to do it right, go with OT's lights.
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 02-05-2009, 06:28 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post

I love my 6000K HIDs. The only problem is that the first time you use them the colour of the light on objects ahead of you is a bit disorienting. Grass doesn't look like it should. After a few minutes you don't even notice anymore.
I feel exactly the same way, but I think i am going to upgrade to 4300k when my cash flow is readily available. I feel that the 6000k is noticeably dimmer than the 5000k and 4300k models.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 02-05-2009, 01:44 PM

I am a big fan of all the folks on this form, but... The choice of buying one set of lo beams or spending the same amount of money and getting lo-hi-fogs that are all guaranteed for a lifetime is not that difficult a decision for me.

H.I.D.'s have drastically gone down in price in the last few months from many sources.

I will get over it someday, but every night when I drive my car I tell my wife, "I love these lights"!!!

I am considering ordering another set of lo's so I will have a backup if one fails so I won't have to put the silverstar back in while I send the defective bulb back for a free replacement.
Here is the link again for the "frugal" folks!
http://www.ddmtuning.com/ap55wwesa.html

Keith
Old 02-05-2009, 02:45 PM
$1 is just $1, but $2 = nachos

I too just did the DDM 55w 5000k HID lo-beams. They put out way more light than my Silverstars did. My only beef is that it makes the Silverstars in my hi-beams look yellow and feeble. But since my hi-beams are essentially used as "passing-lights" 90% of the time, as much as I'd like the color and output of some HID hi-beams, they wouldn't work all that good for me because I need to be able to flash them.

What I really need are four bumper mounted 100W rally lights. Then I can use the hi-beams as passing lights and then fire up false daylight when I'm driving over Donner pass at night (there are no reflectors on the freeway due to the frequent snow plows, you need all the light you can get!).
Old 02-05-2009, 05:01 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

My dad used to have a set of 1000w runway lights mounted on his challenger. They would run his battery down pretty quickly but it saved him from hitting a few deer and a cow. He said it lit up back country roads like day